Bills' Player to Tyler Dunne: Rob Ryan was the Problem on D

@TyDunne

Had an interesting chat with one #Bills defensive player today on what went wrong for them this year. Will pass along a couple quotes.

More from this #Bills player on D: "Rob ruined our whole defense. He took over everything. ... He confused us." Called it a "disaster."

This #Bills player said that Rob Ryan -- not Rex -- was the problem. Rob was basically the team's DC in 2016. "He changed everything."

Bills defensive player on Rob Ryan's D: "Players hated it. Everything we played was dictated off the offense. We had no identity."

One other note: Player I chatted with said Rob Ryan mixed man with zone so much it confused everybody. "It was all over the place."

In sum, guys on D livid because they felt the #Bills offense carried their weight in 2016 and the changes ruined a potentially great season.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shocking. I remember lots of folks spinning this as, "they are running the same system and this will make it twice as easy!"

I remember the spin being that Rex (not Rob) would run *his* defense in 2016, not the "hybrid" between his D and what Schwartz was doing. This was supposed to have made things simpler.

Shocking. I remember lots of folks spinning this as, "they are running the same system and this will make it twice as easy!"

I said that--and it was the only thing that made sense.

It would be (was) criminally stupid to bring him in if his plan was to change everything again.

It would be (was) criminally stupid to bring him in if his plan was to change everything again.

It does make sense, but you greatly underestimated the special brand of terrible Rob Ryan exudes from every pore.

well, remember at the time was they decided to fully scrap whatever halfway between JS and RR defense rex ran in 2015, and go full ryan.

i suspect that didnt amount to throwing out everything, but i do believe there were changes