Bills' Player to Tyler Dunne: Rob Ryan was the Problem on D

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That seems obvious in retrospect. What a disaster.

thats the thing with good units - you know who they are. even when its not a great or great players, most successful units take away something particularly well, or shine in certain situations. we never had that on defense.

the offense was creative running with deep balls to make defenders respect a huge amount of space at all times

the defense was.... ive got nothing.

in general or when Rex had the one-on-one with pegula?

He had no idea. I wonder what games he was watching.

thats the thing with good units - you know who they are. even when its not a great or great players, most successful units take away something particularly well, or shine in certain situations. we never had that on defense.

the offense was creative running with deep balls to make defenders respect a huge amount of space at all times

The defense was 3rd and 11 conversions because we rushed 2.

He had no idea. I wonder what games he was watching.

The defense was 3rd and 11 conversions because we rushed 2.

he did not know pegula would fire him that day.

No one asked him if he knew Rex would be fired at the end of the season, or if he thought he would be fired. It's a true statement that Whaley did not know pegula would fire him after their one on one.

And I thought that Rex completely ruined this defense. If this is true, Rex was even more stupid than I thought.

The only thing that gives me hesitation is that immediately the defense played better. The first month Rob was here the Bills won four straight games and the Red zone defense which he was put in charge of was at the top of the league. Not sticking up for Rob in any way, he and Rex together screwed over this defense and this team and this season and I'm thrilled they're gone. But I'd really like to know who this one guy was, and whether his teammates agreed with him.

@TyDunne

Had an interesting chat with one #Bills defensive player today on what went wrong for them this year. Will pass along a couple quotes.

More from this #Bills player on D: "Rob ruined our whole defense. He took over everything. ... He confused us." Called it a "disaster."

This #Bills player said that Rob Ryan -- not Rex -- was the problem. Rob was basically the team's DC in 2016. "He changed everything."

Bills defensive player on Rob Ryan's D: "Players hated it. Everything we played was dictated off the offense. We had no identity."

One other note: Player I chatted with said Rob Ryan mixed man with zone so much it confused everybody. "It was all over the place."

In sum, guys on D livid because they felt the #Bills offense carried their weight in 2016 and the changes ruined a potentially great season.

But the offense didn't score enough points, that was the problem.

Pegula never should have hired Rex

Bingo

Exactly. No identity at all. Sometimes they were aggressive, sometimes passive. More often than not, especially down the stretch, the scheme was so conservative you felt like they were just afraid. The steelers game comes to mind, especially in the second half, but there were plenty of examples. You were really afraid Matt Moore was going to beat you so you played max coverage and rushed 3? Really? Rediculous. I would be extremely pissed if I were a member of that defense.

he did not know pegula would fire him that day.

No one asked him if he knew Rex would be fired at the end of the season, or if he thought he would be fired. It's a true statement that Whaley did not know pegula would fire him after their one on one.

he didn't ask "why" because he was too busy doing shots and throwing confetti

Exactly. No identity at all. Sometimes they were aggressive, sometimes passive. More often than not, especially down the stretch, the scheme was so conservative you felt like they were just afraid. The steelers game comes to mind, especially in the second half, but there were plenty of examples. You were really afraid Matt Moore was going to beat you so you played max coverage and rushed 3? Really? Rediculous. I would be extremely pissed if I were a member of that defense.

yup --

were they a team that played well with a lead and got pressure and turnovers? no.

stopped the run? no.

as the one guy said - it seemed very reactionary, and i imagine hard for players to be excited for

Say what you will about the defense, but almost 100% of snaps were played with all 11 guys out there!

hmmm...wonder why they got rid of Mario then? He was a perfect fit. "Is he playing this down or not"

The 11-1 Defense is no joke, man.

I'm thinking Mario was the original inspiration. Like "we have been playing with a guy out there just getting in the way, let's take this thing to it's logical conclusion, and just baffle a QB by using only 10 guys".

Edited by HoF Watkins