Bills' Player to Tyler Dunne: Rob Ryan was the Problem on D

Tyler Dunne, after only a short time in Buffalo, has more inside information on the Bills than Sully who's spending his career following the Bills.

I give him 18 more months there, tops.

Oh wait...didn't even take him that long before he got scooped up by BR/

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect that's why they were both let go together

I thought it was a curious decision at the time. Owners/GMs either fire just the Head Coach or the whole staff. It's not usually the Head Coach plus one.

I wondered why at the time. If the Pegulas had this information, the move makes a lot of sense.

Pegula should've never allowed Rex to hire his brother.

im pro-empowering coaches to build out their staff as desired but i think in a spot like this you warn that in your experience it might not be a smart choice and will be an important one for him to think through before making... and then hold accountable for results.

i wouldnt be shocked if thats roughly what happened here behind the scenes with pegs.

im pro-empowering coaches to build out their staff as desired but i think in a spot like this you warn that in your experience it might not be a smart choice and will be an important one for him to think through before making... and then hold accountable for results.

i wouldnt be shocked if thats roughly what happened here behind the scenes with pegs.

Yeah, I highly doubt that the prevailing sentiment here is that Pegs should have set a precedent by micromanaging assistant hires...

I thought that was very innovative...

I heard that that was why Wrex was let go. He told Pegula that he needed another year to get the right personnel for the new scheme he and his brother had developed.

They call it the "11-1 Defense"

Edited by HoF Watkins

One other note: Player I chatted with said Rob Ryan mixed man with zone so much it confused everybody. "It was all over the place."

That brings me back to a couple of plays where coverage was very obviously blown, and after (or even during) the play DBs would start arguing about it on the field. And people would blame Gilmore for blowing the coverage...while a few of us would say "How can you blame Gilmore, when everybody is obviously confused?"

God, what an atrocity of coaching. Three defensive minds can't even get a coherent !@#$ing secondary call in on time. Never mind fundamentals, or schemes...just imagine how much better the defense would have been if they simply got the play calls and packages on the field on time. :wallbash:

And this is exactly why Rex was fired. They were paying him 5.5 million for his defense and for him to run it. Not for him to just be the HC and let someone else run the defense. I think Rob is probably still a good position coach but as a game day play caller and strategist, his record speaks for itself.

And this is exactly why Rex was fired. They were paying him 5.5 million for his defense and for him to run it. Not for him to just be the HC and let someone else run the defense. I think Rob is probably still a good position coach but as a game day play caller and strategist, his record speaks for itself.

but Bucky and Sully still want to know why Whaley didn't ask "Why?"

Somewhere else I read something similar. According to an unnamed source, Rex didn't work as hard this year as in years past. He let his brother run the D. Once he realized things were screwed up, it was too late to get it under control.

That is on him and he deserved to get fired for it.

In a year where Rex was on the hot seat he should have been directly involved from day 1

That brings me back to a couple of plays where coverage was very obviously blown, and after (or even during) the play DBs would start arguing about it on the field. And people would blame Gilmore for blowing the coverage...while a few of us would say "How can you blame Gilmore, when everybody is obviously confused?"

God, what an atrocity of coaching. Three defensive minds can't even get a coherent !@#$ing secondary call in on time. Never mind fundamentals, or schemes...just imagine how much better the defense would have been if they simply got the play calls and packages on the field on time. :wallbash:

Several times this year the TV guys would cut to a shot of R&R looking at each other like a couple of confused clowns. I'm sure it was meant to paint them in an embarrassing light, not that they needed any help...

I heard that that was why Wrex was let go. He told Pegula that he needed another year to get the right personnel for the new scheme he and his brother had developed.

They call it the "11-1 Defense"

hmmm...wonder why they got rid of Mario then? He was a perfect fit. "Is he playing this down or not" Edited by TPS