Coach search has come (again) who is the best fit?

mead107

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nate Hackett is not an NFL level Offensive coach. Agreed . But while coaches matter you can't polish a turd. Yes a good offensive system is required but QB coaches get too much credit and probably too much blame. I Hope the Bills can draft a true franchise QB. Something the franchise has only managed to do once in its history.

With coaching this is how I see it at the head coach level. There are like 2-4 elite head coaches. Belichick being one. These guys are huge difference makers and tilt the football game in multiple ways. Then there are 2-4 coaches that don't belong at all. They are so bad that they lose games that should have been won. Then you have the rest. They all kinda look the same. This group is what you are thinking of when you think of like David Lee for instance. What I am supporting is that there are a few elite QB whisperers that can bring out the best in real prospects.

The advantage is also that these types know who are the real QB prospects they can work with. The Bills have not had one of these game tilting coaches so I can understand your skepticism.

For those in favor of Tyrod Taylor, maybe a coach from Seattle would also hire an OC who would see Taylor as a Russel Wilson type skill player, and be able to maximize his talent. Wilson has similar attributes, limitations, yet wins. An offense similar to Seattles would already have the quirks worked out for a short qb as far as seeing middle of field, or the scrambling type plays, etc... so we wouldn't be starting over with offense necessarily, possibly improving... and he is accustomed to large corners, and focusing onstopping the run.... our current roster may fit ( therefore avoiding large turnover), and potentially return to the level to which it is capable of performing.

For those in favor of Tyrod Taylor, maybe a coach from Seattle would also hire an OC who would see Taylor as a Russel Wilson type skill player, and be able to maximize his talent. Wilson has similar attributes, limitations, yet wins. An offense similar to Seattles would already have the quirks worked out for a short qb as far as seeing middle of field, or the scrambling type plays, etc... so we wouldn't be starting over with offense necessarily, possibly improving... and he is accustomed to large corners, and focusing onstopping the run.... our current roster may fit ( therefore avoiding large turnover), and potentially return to the level to which it is capable of performing.

In all due respect, Tyrod Taylor is as much like Russell Wilson as Mayim Bialik is like Kaley Cuoco.

Has anyone else noticed that all the candidates are under 50 and would be first time HCs?

That they are on the younger side is not surprising considering Whaley wants someone who will be the coach for '10-15 years'. Removes the Coughlins and (shudder) Cowhers from consideration. As for the first time part, there arent any re-treads around worth consideration for one reason or the other (e.g. McDaniels)

Edited by Fan in Chicago

So, you'd much rather have Tyrod Taylor than Russell Wilson?

Ummm, NO! The suggestion that the new HC could use Tyrod the way Seattle used Wilson, and I simply pointed out the fact that they are virtually nothing alike. I would take a QB in Draft and sign a decent pocket passing QB in FA

In light of the people we have interviewed thus far I think I am now pulling for:

Kris Richard - HC

Carl Smith - OC

Gus Bradley - DC

Wonder if he could peel Smith away from Seattle?

2014 article on Smith: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2014/01/former_new_orleans_saints_assi_1.html

2015 article on Richard that's pretty good too: http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/05/28/kris-richard-adapts-new-role-seahawks-defensive-coordinator-were-going-keep-ball-0

I'd like it if he brought Bradley in as DC / Asst. HC - maybe Bradley could impart some wisdom that he learned on the job in Jacksonville...

Wonder if he could peel Smith away from Seattle?

2014 article on Smith: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2014/01/former_new_orleans_saints_assi_1.html

2015 article on Richard that's pretty good too: http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/05/28/kris-richard-adapts-new-role-seahawks-defensive-coordinator-were-going-keep-ball-0

I'd like it if he brought Bradley in as DC / Asst. HC - maybe Bradley could impart some wisdom that he learned on the job in Jacksonville...

My hope would be that Richard would sell him on needing his experience to lean on and obviously moving back to OC instead of QB Coach. Admittedly an optimistic hope.

Smith did some impressive things in Jacksonville with Garrard & Leftwich from '05 - '07. The comparisons between Cardale and Leftwich are what drew me to Smith in the first place.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

In all due respect, Tyrod Taylor is as much like Russell Wilson as Mayim Bialik is like Kaley Cuoco.

Not attempting to say he is as good, but has similar build and skill set ... maybe Richards would add staff from Seattle that has worked with Wilson and therefore Taylor could maximize his talents and improve - maybe not Wilson level, but trending towards it

Also, Taylor vs Wilson, stats first two starting seasons not so far apart that it's not feasible to think they are not so different. Hence my point an OC from Seattle staff that worked withWilson could impact Taylor's development in a positive way

Edited by lifestoshort

McDaniels is the best choice, but will get personnel control and a few years to rebuild. Working with Whaley, a short leash to win, and in the Pats division isn't going to get him. He will end up with the 49ers.

Elway will get a specific type of coach that fits his mold, and not Lynn.

I'm not interested in a college coach, as there have been lots of amazing college coaches having trouble adjusting to the NFL, and prefer the coordinator route. Schwartz is a choice I would love, Patricia is really appealing, but there are several others.

Not attempting to say he is as good, but has similar build and skill set ... maybe Richards would add staff from Seattle that has worked with Wilson and therefore Taylor could maximize his talents and improve - maybe not Wilson level, but trending towards it

Also, Taylor vs Wilson, stats first two starting seasons not so far apart that it's not feasible to think they are not so different. Hence my point an OC from Seattle staff that worked withWilson could impact Taylor's development in a positive way

They are not similar at all. Coming out of college, Wilson was already a great passer. If he was even Taylor's height at 6'1, he'd have been a 1st round pick at minimum, maybe even top 10. His question marks were all height. He did not have to learn how to play QB. Taylor was an erratic passer coming out of college with great mobility and a great arm. The next receiver he hits on a crossing route will be his first.

Richard from Seattle looks like a guy I could support. I'm on board with a few different things happening though. One of which looks dead before it even began, Todd Haley, no interest being talked about. Tom Coughlin is really old and idk what kind of coordinators he has left in his bag anyways. So Richard it is.

I read that Carolina under McDermott has been in the top 10 on D 5 of the last 6 years and I believe he calls the plays. That by far blows away any of the other coordinators resume.

I liked Richards until I realized since Carroll has been there with 3 different coordinators they always rank very very high. So that tells me it is more Carrolll than the D coordinators.

Edited by Estelle Getty

In light of the people we have interviewed thus far I think I am now pulling for:

Kris Richard - HC

Carl Smith - OC

Gus Bradley - DC

Smith hasn't been an OC in ten years. And he was never very good at it.

Just keep Lynn as OC/AHC. He's earned at least that much.

I read that Carolina under McDermott has been in the top 10 on D 5 of the last 6 years and I believe he calls the plays. That by far blows away any of the other coordinators resume.

I liked Richards until I realized since Carroll has been there with 3 different coordinators they always rank very very high. So that tells me it is more Carrolll than the D coordinators.

We're not hiring a defensive coordinator. We're hiring a head coach.

They are not similar at all. Coming out of college, Wilson was already a great passer. If he was even Taylor's height at 6'1, he'd have been a 1st round pick at minimum, maybe even top 10. His question marks were all height. He did not have to learn how to play QB. Taylor was an erratic passer coming out of college with great mobility and a great arm. The next receiver he hits on a crossing route will be his first.

Ok maybe I'm not being clear - new here, so still getting the feel of how to post without writing novels... similar, as in short for the position, mobile, strong arm. I'm not saying he is Wilson. Wilson came out of college better with accuracy, reading defenses, and mechanically more sound. I'm not comparing them as their draft profile reads either. One was much more pro ready then the other. Hell, Tyrod was being discussed as a QB who would make his salt as a WR or RB possibly... all I'm saying is if Tyrod is our QB, maybe a person who has worked with Wilson can improve Tyrods game in certain areas, such as seeing the middle of the field, can provide a playbook tailored to a mobile strong armed QB. Essentially if Lynn isn't the OC, and Tyrod is the QB, possibly the best people to make the most of him are from a staff that had Wilson. Doesn't mean Tyrod becomes Wilson, but could mean we get the most out of Tyrod - and maybe improve upon his weaknesses---- the point was made in defense of the logic of interviewing the Richards coach.... not to debate QB's

Additional note - I was having an opinion of coaches on their list of interviews.... I'm not necessarily a proponent of any of them. If I were to have a choice... I'd prefer Dave Toub. He'd be the one I'd choose of all new or retread coaches to lead this team.....

Smith hasn't been an OC in ten years. And he was never very good at it.

Just keep Lynn as OC/AHC. He's earned at least that much.

We're not hiring a defensive coordinator. We're hiring a head coach.

He was OC in Jacksonville from '05 - '07, so yeah it's been a bit. But he wasn't good at it?

2005: 15th ranked offense, 12th in scoring

2006: 10th ranked offense, 9th in scoring

2007: 7th ranked offense, 6th in scoring

He was OC in Jacksonville from '05 - '07, so yeah it's been a bit. But he wasn't good at it?

2005: 15th ranked offense, 12th in scoring

2006: 10th ranked offense, 9th in scoring

2007: 7th ranked offense, 6th in scoring

It's surprising Del Rio fired him and he never received another OC job since then.

At first I wanted Lynn as the lesser of evils, but because he's still under contract and may not get any of the jobs, my best case is Richard, with Lynn kept as the OC, and maybe Bradley under Richard if that's possible. I also think that combo of Richard and Lynn means Tyrod stays.

At first I wanted Lynn as the lesser of evils, but because he's still under contract and may not get any of the jobs, my best case is Richard, with Lynn kept as the OC, and maybe Bradley under Richard if that's possible. I also think that combo of Richard and Lynn means Tyrod stays.

Those moves would result in playoffs imo.

I'd be on-board with this.

FWIW, Bradley's resume to become the Skins D Coord: http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/redskins-defensive-coordinator-resume-gus-bradley

I liked this in 2011 "It’s amazing how the addition of some talented players can suddenly transform a defense from near the bottom of the heap one season to a top-10 unit the next. Sherman was a rookie, still learning while the safeties were hitting their stride."

We could use a Safety or two, I believe - seems like he might have some insight into what makes a good one...

@SalSports

Bills were impressed by Kris Richard's energy/enthusiasm.But at this point based on conversations I believe Lynn/McDermott are front runners

It would take guts to tab Richard...But he's an impressive possibility...I really like the idea to be honest...I'll take Richard or McDermott and be happy...

I just get the feeling, and maybe it's a wishful feeling, they are looking for any excuse not to hire Lynn...And I don't think that's a bad thing... B-)

@SalSports

Bills were impressed by Kris Richard's energy/enthusiasm.But at this point based on conversations I believe Lynn/McDermott are front runners

McDermott will bore the living hell out of us. He makes Dick Jauron look like Curly Howard, comparatively-speaking. But maybe a lifeless, soulless ginger could break the streak of mediocrity.

McDermott will bore the living hell out of us. He makes Dick Jauron look like Curly Howard, comparatively-speaking. But maybe a lifeless, soulless ginger could break the streak of mediocrity.

I like McDermott...But that was funny... :lol: