Coach search has come (again) who is the best fit?

mead107

What if Denver hires him? He's going to get a bunch of HC interviews. It's not even a little crazy.

McDaniels is my top choice but I'd love to see them try to get Dabo.

has Dabo commented on this yet? :lol:

"We go four fingers deep in the Clemson locker room, the rest of you are losers" is a bizarre explanation

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2017/01/78920/clemson-lb-ben-boulware-shares-some-thoughts-on-christian-wilkins-going-four-fingers-deep-on-curtis-samuel

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/03/nfl-head-coach-rumors-candidates-black-monday-mailbag

Peter King:

• Buffalo is going to be a tough sell. Around the league, the performance of GM Doug Whaley at his Monday press conference was not well-received, particularly the part about how he was informed by ownership that Rex Ryan was being whacked and he (Whaley) had no say in it. The reaction was, if I may translate, Who wants to work for that guy? That plus the fact that no one really knows a thing about the Howard Hughes-like Pegulas, and there’s no sure quarterback of the future, and it sometimes seems like the land of mercenaries. Just know that Buffalo’s not going to have an easy time find a coach it loves. If I were Whaley and Pegula, I’d target Tom Coughlin, and tell him he’d better have a very logical successor on his staff.

Yep.

You have to be a complete "mother hen" of the team to not realize this situation looks REALLY bad.

And while it is a tough takeover any way you slice it.........the good news is that maybe, for once, the OPTICS of the Bills job are actually worse than the actual job. :lol:

For most......this job would be a fiery bridge.......but Lynn might be able to cross that bridge.....and take Whaley with him..... if things fall right.

The rookies on that list they are interviewing would have almost zero chance because of Whaley's short leash and the complete re-start factor, IMO.

Couglin is intriguing as a culture changer.

Yep.

You have to be a complete "mother hen" of the team to not realize this situation looks REALLY bad.

And while it is a tough takeover any way you slice it.........the good news is that maybe, for once, the OPTICS of the Bills job are actually worse than the actual job. :lol:

For most......this job would be a fiery bridge.......but Lynn might be able to cross that bridge.....and take Whaley with him..... if things fall right.

The rookies on that list they are interviewing would have almost zero chance because of Whaley's short leash and the complete re-start factor, IMO.

Couglin is intriguing as a culture changer.

The frenzy over the reputed disorganization is out of proportion with the real issue that haunts this team. The primary issues plaguing this team has less to do with the organizational and power structure and more to do with the talent level of the team. As with most teams in the league success is mostly related to the caliber of the starting qb. For a generation this team has been at a deficit at the most important position in the game. And it still an issue.

The Rex Ryan hire was a boondoggle. It set this franchise back. The inexperienced owners got caught up in this huckster's sell act and lively personality. Giving Whaley, the GM, the authority to hire is the conventional way this process should work and the right way to do it.

I'm not looking for a genius or novel hire. What this franchise needs is a fundamentally sound coach who can create a climate of accountability. The art of coaching is taking the roster as it is and putting the players in the best position to succeed. Our moronic former coach forced the players to adapt to his system instead of this fool adapting his system to mesh with the talent he had on hand. What a freaking clown!!!!

When all is said in done this league is talent driven. The Bills still need an infusion of talent to be a more competitive team. So while people are obsessing about insiders and outsiders criticizing our organization the real issue has to do with the talent on had rather than the structure of the organizational flow chart.

What if Denver hires him? He's going to get a bunch of HC interviews. It's not even a little crazy.

McDaniels is my top choice but I'd love to see them try to get Dabo.

Who cares about any other team... Denver is a stable place with a stable organization. Lynn cannot be HC here, he doesn't have the ability to turn something like this around. We need a HC that isn't going to take **** from anyone, and what we saw from Lynn is he was taking all the **** from what happened. Edited by Beef Jerky

Who cares about any other team... Denver is a stable place with a stable organization. Lynn cannot be HC here, he doesn't have the ability to turn something like this around. We need a HC that isn't going to take **** from anyone, and what we saw from Lynn is he was taking all the **** from what happened.

We don't know that to be true at all. In his game as the HC he didn't dress a guy because he didn't practice hard. If anything, the small sample size says that he wouldn't take ****.

Does that mean he is the right guy, no. He isn't my first choice but to act like interviewing him is crazy is asinine. He is interviewing for 4 of the 6 jobs at least. You originally made it sound like "if we are interviewing this guy we can't identify candidates." Denver, LA, and SF also view him as a candidate.

Tasker just said on GR55 that Lynn is highly respected around the league and is a legit candidate, he described him as "impressive". FWIW.

I don't doubt that he is a respected and serious candidate for our job and other jobs. But it would be foolish for Whaley to limit his search with the in-house candidate and not open up the interview process to a wide range of candidates.

If we lose Lynn because another team is quicker, then so be it. That often happens in the job search process. Whaley needs to interview a wide range of candidates and then select the one he feels is best. Selecting someone out of fear of losing that candidate to another team at the expense of precluding all other options is not the right approach to take.

The frenzy over the reputed disorganization is out of proportion with the real issue that haunts this team. The primary issues plaguing this team has less to do with the organizational and power structure and more to do with the talent level of the team. As with most teams in the league success is mostly related to the caliber of the starting qb. For a generation this team has been at a deficit at the most important position in the game. And it still an issue.

The Rex Ryan hire was a boondoggle. It set this franchise back. The inexperienced owners got caught up in this huckster's sell act and lively personality. Giving Whaley, the GM, the authority to hire is the conventional way this process should work and the right way to do it.

I'm not looking for a genius or novel hire. What this franchise needs is a fundamentally sound coach who can create a climate of accountability. The art of coaching is taking the roster as it is and putting the players in the best position to succeed. Our moronic former coach forced the players to adapt to his system instead of this fool adapting his system to mesh with the talent he had on hand. What a freaking clown!!!!

When all is said in done this league is talent driven. The Bills still need an infusion of talent to be a more competitive team. So while people are obsessing about insiders and outsiders criticizing our organization the real issue has to do with the talent on had rather than the structure of the organizational flow chart.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I see a lot of good teams with the same roster depth issues that the Bills have.

The RR defense did a lot of damage here in two years.

I will say this about talent though..........it's been my opinion that the SUREST way to break thru with a team like the Pats at the top is by sheer force of talent.

Like the Bills did back in 1987-1988 when they were finally able to begin to turn the tables on the Dolphins 15+ year domination.

When not trying to draft for need Whaley has TRIED to find blue chippers at bargain rates later in the draft by taking shots at guys like Seantrel Henderson and Karlos Williams.

They just haven't panned out but I don't mind missing shots like that in the late rounds.

It's things like using a high amount draft resources on low ceiling hole fillers like Shaq and Ragnuts that I disagree with.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I see a lot of good teams with the same roster depth issues that the Bills have.

The RR defense did a lot of damage here in two years.

I will say this about talent though..........it's been my opinion that the SUREST way to break thru with a team like the Pats at the top is by sheer force of talent.

Like the Bills did back in 1987-1988 when they were finally able to begin to turn the tables on the Dolphins 15+ year domination.

When not trying to draft for need Whaley has TRIED to find blue chippers at bargain rates later in the draft by taking shots at guys like Seantrel Henderson and Karlos Williams.

They just haven't panned out but I don't mind missing shots like that in the late rounds.

It's things like using a high amount draft resources on low ceiling hole fillers like Shaq and Ragnuts that I disagree with.

I'm not sure we disagree as much as you think. On the issue of Rex we are in accord at the damage he did to this team and especially to the defense. Enough said about him. I get nauseous even thinking about this fool.

The obvious impediment that this team has in getting over the hump of being a middle of the pack team ( that includes probably half the teams in the league) is the level of play at qb. If the Bills would have had a Kirk Cousins type qb on this roster there is a good probability that this year's team with a competent HC would have gotten this team into the playoffs.

Where I disagree with you is that I am not as negative on Shaq and Rags as you are, assuming there is a defensive coach who knows what he is doing.

I'm not sure we disagree as much as you think. On the issue of Rex we are in accord at the damage he did to this team and especially to the defense. Enough said about him. I get nauseous even thinking about this fool.

The obvious impediment that this team has in getting over the hump of being a middle of the pack team ( that includes probably half the teams in the league) is the level of play at qb. If the Bills would have had a Kirk Cousins type qb on this roster there is a good probability that this year's team with a competent HC would have gotten this team into the playoffs.

Where I disagree with you is that I am not as negative on Shaq and Rags as you are, assuming there is a defensive coach who knows what he is doing.

I've said this a few times now, but I think that up and down, the talent on the defensive side of the ball is league-average at best. I like Dareus and Gilmore (who may well be gone), but after that ... . I mean, Kyle has been great, but he's got a bad back and is old. Hughes is a problem. I didn't love the slow-ish Ragland in college, and Shaq doesn't look very good to me so far (although he can certainly improve). I do think that Darby, who didn't play well this year, at least has physical talent. The safety situation is terrible. Lorax and Zach Brown worked in Rex's scheme (for a while, at least), but what happens when they go back to a normal scheme? Preston Brown is weak. Anyway, this team is not loaded with talent on the defensive side.

not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread, but i am quite sure his name has been brought up.. Todd Haley.. the whaley pitt connection and the fact he did have some success with K C. had his problems, but like the age old story, belicheat got fired in cleveland.. just saying the guy has some upside on the O .. and experience.. just offering an opinion.

I've said this a few times now, but I think that up and down, the talent on the defensive side of the ball is league-average at best. I like Dareus and Gilmore (who may well be gone), but after that ... . I mean, Kyle has been great, but he's got a bad back and is old. Hughes is a problem. I didn't love the slow-ish Ragland in college, and Shaq doesn't look very good to me so far (although he can certainly improve). I do think that Darby, who didn't play well this year, at least has physical talent. The safety situation is terrible. Lorax and Zach Brown worked in Rex's scheme (for a while, at least), but what happens when they go back to a normal scheme? Preston Brown is weak. Anyway, this team is not loaded with talent on the defensive side.

I'm not as negative on the personnel on the defensive side of the ball as you seem to be. What Whaley does well is bring in mid-level free agents who can shore up some weaknesses and he can dedicate some of the draft to buttress this unit that is in disarray. Gilmore will probably be gone but (as you said) but Dareus's performance should dramatically improve with a new coach and a fresh start. As far as Hughes I'm counting on this hyper player to regain his game with better coaching and scheme.

There have been others who have a jaundiced view of Shaq and Ragland. I think you are being premature in your assessment. Just because a player is not an elite player that doesn't mean that he can't be a good player. My recommendation is to be a little more patient with these two high picks.

Anyway, this team is not loaded with talent on the defensive side.

You can have a unit that is not loaded with talent and still play reasonably well. Better coaching with a more appropriate scheme to match the talent on hand should upgrade the production compared to this past season.

Edited by JohnC

Not sure why Todd Haley is not getting any consideration? Has head coaching experience and solid offensive background. Granted he has Big Ben, Bell, etc. but it seems that players flourish under his system. I like the idea of Frank Reich since he played here but doesn't have the best track record as a coach/coordinator on other teams.

not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread, but i am quite sure his name has been brought up.. Todd Haley.. the whaley pitt connection and the fact he did have some success with K C. had his problems, but like the age old story, belicheat got fired in cleveland.. just saying the guy has some upside on the O .. and experience.. just offering an opinion.

I think that Haley might be the guy because he just seems like THE logical fit for the Bills. Haley's a rust belt guy, he's experienced, he knows how to get the best out of big, strong armed QBs (hello Cardale), a star #1 receiver (hello Sammy), he knows the AFC, he clearly knows our weaknesses on defense, he's not going to take any "stuff" from players. He might be one of those second time head coaches who learned what to do and not to do while at KC, and is ready to become a great NFL head coach. I like that he said he isn't going to talk to any organization about head coaching jobs as long as the Steelers are still in the playoffs. This is the kind of focus this organization needs in a head coach.