Coach search has come (again) who is the best fit?

mead107

HC Coughlin 2 year, set them straight contract. Come in, shape em up, get out

AHC OC Lynn set to take over for coughlin in two years with continued success

DC Bradley or Wade

ST someone coughlin likes

Bring in a new Strength and Conditioning team with new doctors bringing fresh eyes to the situation

not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread, but i am quite sure his name has been brought up.. Todd Haley.. the whaley pitt connection and the fact he did have some success with K C. had his problems, but like the age old story, belicheat got fired in cleveland.. just saying the guy has some upside on the O .. and experience.. just offering an opinion.

This is an option I could put my support behind as well

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not swept away by Lynn right now. I mean, I like what he did with the offense, and I think his "audition" game is hard to judge because he was given less than a week to prep everything, and was forced to play Manuel in a meaningless game.

In the end, I am forced to confront the fact that his rise is just too swift, even if I like him. You take on a lot more responsibilities at the next level, and it gets harder to concentrate on what you were good at that you there. Lynn admitted that he was editing what Roman had in place, and while I think he did a good job, we haven't given him a full season to come up with his own offense.

Right now, I am leaning Coughlin, while throwing big $$$ at Lynn to help him stay on another year to see what he's got. Coughlin is excellent organizer and disciplinarian, but one who didn't mind letting McAdoo put in a new scheme, which gave Eli some of the best numbers of his career.

Those who know the situation feel like he was passed over for a number of promotions that he deserved in his career...Mike Tomlin also had a fast rise...he's done OK

That stuff is meaningless. If he can do the job, then hire him.

Edited by matter2003

I think that Haley might be the guy because he just seems like THE logical fit for the Bills. Haley's a rust belt guy, he's experienced, he knows how to get the best out of big, strong armed QBs (hello Cardale), a star #1 receiver (hello Sammy), he knows the AFC, he clearly knows our weaknesses on defense, he's not going to take any "stuff" from players. He might be one of those second time head coaches who learned what to do and not to do while at KC, and is ready to become a great NFL head coach. I like that he said he isn't going to talk to any organization about head coaching jobs as long as the Steelers are still in the playoffs. This is the kind of focus this organization needs in a head coach.

you bring up some additional great points about haley's potential for the Bills.. i just hope whaley doesnt jump the gun until he can interview him

I know that it hasn't been mentioned but I'd love the Bills to swing for the fences with Dabo. He's making like $5.3M this year. Offer him $8M or something and try to lure him from Clemson. I don't think that the Pegulas are concerned about money. Go get a guy that's proven to be a leader, a motivator, a winner and a big game coach.

Sounds like Bill O'Brien is out in Houston as soon as they are eliminated from playoffs. Now there is the candidate for coach we need to go get. That dude comes from the NE coaching line and has a great track record despite his team not having a QB.

I know that it hasn't been mentioned but I'd love the Bills to swing for the fences with Dabo. He's making like $5.3M this year. Offer him $8M or something and try to lure him from Clemson. I don't think that the Pegulas are concerned about money. Go get a guy that's proven to be a leader, a motivator, a winner and a big game coach.

He's great in college because he is one of the best recruiters in the nation. I agree that he's a guy players could potentially rally behind but IMO his best asset as a coach would be nullified in the NFL. I think he would be over his head with regards to building a staff and game planning.

If we are talking college coaches, I think there only a few guys that I'm really interested in and they aren't leaving:

Jim Harbaugh

Nick Saban

David Shaw

David Shaw would be a great NFL coach.

Good motivator.

Great Xs and Os offense.

History of developing some good to great players.

Access to both Harbaugh's coaching network, which is extensive.

Access to ex-Ravens, ex-Eagles, ex-49ers personnel department.

IMO, he'd be the next great guy to jump to the NFL and lead a whole organization, top to bottom.

He's great in college because he is one of the best recruiters in the nation. I agree that he's a guy players could potentially rally behind but IMO his best asset as a coach would be nullified in the NFL. I think he would be over his head with regards to building a staff and game planning.

If we are talking college coaches, I think there only a few guys that I'm really interested in and they aren't leaving:

Jim Harbaugh

Nick Saban

David Shaw

David Shaw would be a great NFL coach.

Good motivator.

Great Xs and Os offense.

History of developing some good to great players.

Access to both Harbaugh's coaching network, which is extensive.

Access to ex-Ravens, ex-Eagles, ex-49ers personnel department.

IMO, he'd be the next great guy to jump to the NFL and lead a whole organization, top to bottom.

I just disagree about his X's and O's. His teams have been ultra-prepared in their biggest games. His recruiting classes are good but not at the top of college football. His recruiting classes over the last 5 years (including 2017) have been 13, 12, 4, 8, and 12. He comes across as a bit quirky but don't be fooled by that schtick. His game plans (and Brent Venables) are as good as anybody in college football right now. I am sure that if you got Dabo though, Venables would take the Clemson job.

Shaw doesn't do much for me. His team NEVER wins the big game. That was always (and still is) my knock on Luck. They have never had the best talent but they have been close a bunch of times to breaking through and they haven't done it. Clemson is playing for the National Championship for a 2nd straight year.

I just disagree about his X's and O's. His teams have been ultra-prepared in their biggest games. His recruiting classes are good but not at the top of college football. His recruiting classes over the last 5 years (including 2017) have been 13, 12, 4, 8, and 12. He comes across as a bit quirky but don't be fooled by that schtick. His game plans (and Brent Venables) are as good as anybody in college football right now. I am sure that if you got Dabo though, Venables would take the Clemson job.

Shaw doesn't do much for me. His team NEVER wins the big game. That was always (and still is) my knock on Luck. They have never had the best talent but they have been close a bunch of times to breaking through and they haven't done it. Clemson is playing for the National Championship for a 2nd straight year.

Stanford lost one big game because the kicker missed an extremely makable kick at the end of regulation (against Ok State) and went 1 for 4 in that game. The coach can't be blamed for that. Stanford wins that game 95 times out of 100 when the kicker plays like he normally does.

Edited by dave mcbride

Stanford lost one big game because the kicker missed an extremely makable kick at the end of regulation (against Ok State) and went 1 for 4 in that game. The coach can't be blamed for that. Stanford wins that game 95 times out of 100 when the kicker plays like he normally does.

That's fair enough. It just feels like they have been in the top 5 a lot over the last 10 years and never played for the title. Somewhere along the way they always stumble. It is kind of like Oklahoma (although not as much talent as Oklahoma).

None of those things you mention really make me think that Swinney would transition better to the NFL than Shaw. I don't care about their "big game" record, or even that Clemson is in the title game again.

I think Shaw's demeanor, coaching style, and NFL connections would make him a great NFL coach.

That's fair enough. It just feels like they have been in the top 5 a lot over the last 10 years and never played for the title. Somewhere along the way they always stumble. It is kind of like Oklahoma (although not as much talent as Oklahoma).

Top to bottom, the Pac 12 is better than a lot of people in the east think (caveat: I'm a UCLA guy and hence a Pac 12 fan), and it's not that easy to go undefeated. Stanford is also handicapped by that fact that 75 percent of Alabama's team (at least) wouldn't qualify to play for Stanford.

None of those things you mention really make me think that Swinney would transition better to the NFL than Shaw. I don't care about their "big game" record, or even that Clemson is in the title game again.

I think Shaw's demeanor, coaching style, and NFL connections would make him a great NFL coach.

I'm just not a fan of Shaw's conservative brand of football. He may very well end up as a good pro coach, so might Swinney, or Danny Crossman for that matter. We never know how a guy is going to do in a job until he has one. When I watch Dabo's teams, they are prepared, disciplined (outside of that little incident the other night), they execute and they win. They win a ton of close games. In addition, he is one of (if not the) best motivators in football. When I look at him I just don't see things that I don't like.

I'm just not a fan of Shaw's conservative brand of football. He may very well end up as a good pro coach, so might Swinney, or Danny Crossman for that matter. We never know how a guy is going to do in a job until he has one. When I watch Dabo's teams, they are prepared, disciplined (outside of that little incident the other night), they execute and they win. They win a ton of close games. In addition, he is one of (if not the) best motivators in football. When I look at him I just don't see things that I don't like.

Neither of those guys is leaving their cushy situation to come to this sh-t show, so it's academic (no pun intended).

Top to bottom, the Pac 12 is better than a lot of people in the east think (caveat: I'm a UCLA guy and hence a Pac 12 fan), and it's not that easy to go undefeated. Stanford is also handicapped by that fact that 75 percent of Alabama's team (at least) wouldn't qualify to play for Stanford.

I agree on the Pac. It is constantly better than people think. There are programs in every conference that face hurdles along the way though. Can you find a way to win those ugly games that you need to take the next step? That is what separates the good from the great.

On a side note (I know that this is a year old) but I think that people will be surprised to see Alabama's graduation rate: http://thespun.com/independents/notre-dame/heres-college-footballs-top-25-in-order-of-graduation-rate. Since Saban has been there he has run a pretty clean program. He runs a complex system and in turn has had to recruit guys that are pretty intelligent to do it. It isn't Oklahoma State.

Neither of those guys is leaving their cushy situation to come to this sh-t show, so it's academic (no pun intended).

I think that this is 100% true.

If we were throwing out names, I just figured that I would add my favorite to the list.

I agree on the Pac. It is constantly better than people think. There are programs in every conference that face hurdles along the way though. Can you find a way to win those ugly games that you need to take the next step? That is what separates the good from the great.

On a side note (I know that this is a year old) but I think that people will be surprised to see Alabama's graduation rate: http://thespun.com/independents/notre-dame/heres-college-footballs-top-25-in-order-of-graduation-rate. Since Saban has been there he has run a pretty clean program. He runs a complex system and in turn has had to recruit guys that are pretty intelligent to do it. It isn't Oklahoma State.

If we were throwing out names, I just figured that I would add my favorite to the list.

I don't know if the PAC-10 is better than most people think, or if it is simply more competitive than most people think. The games are competitive, because unlike the Big 10 there isn't as much disparity between the best and worst teams. I'm not sure the caliber of athletes comes anywhere close to the SEC or the ACC. But then again, I don't follow college football more than recreationally...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

To be fair to Shaw, the one year he had luck they passed it a ton (Luck had 3517 yards in a 13-game season). After that, he ran it a lot more, but look at who had as QB.

Simply put, given how hard it is to get into Stanford even for top-shelf athletes, it is amazing how good they are. I'll go out on a limb and say that not one player on, say, Auburn could get into Stanford.