Cardinals Cut WR Michael Floyd

YoloinOhio

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn. Surprised, but not surprised as a ND fan. He might be living it up too much again and that is likely contributing to his down year. I thought he was a guy we might target in FA, but I think this takes him off the radar.

Damn. Surprised, but not surprised as a ND fan. He might be living it up too much again and that is likely contributing to his down year. I thought he was a guy we might target in FA, but I think this takes him off the radar.

i recall several people thinking he would be an FA target. He's had a tough year, not sure if it's QB related but Fitzgerald has not suffered.

Remember when people wanted to draft him in the first on here?

He looks like he should be a solid number 2, not sure why it has not panned out for him. Any Bills fans in Cardinal Country care to shed some light on this one?

He was highly overrated coming out of college

Aaand cut

@rapsheet

#AZCardinals president Michael Bidwill is the chairman of the NFL's conduct committee. He is making a statement by cutting Michael Floyd

@caplannfl

Floyd is on 5th-year option, deal up after this season.

Subject to waivers

@tompelissero

Floyd can be a UFA in March. He's not getting tagged. So waiver claim gets you a 3-game rental (plus playoffs for some teams).

@caplannfl

Michael Floyd's base salary for 2016 is $7.32m. Prorated for final two weeks (cards responsible for this week) $430,058x2=$861k.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@billbarnwell

Michael Floyd was three weeks away from FA and wasn’t staying in Arizona. This isn’t some strong stance against misbehavior by them.

@MarkMaske

If a team claims Michael Floyd on waivers, it would owe him $861,176 for final two weeks of season, or 2/17ths of salary of $7.32 million.

@ChrisBurke_SI

Chris Burke Retweeted MarkMaske

Also could stand to get a compensatory pick if he then leaves as a free agent.

I'd love to see him fall to us but doubt it makes it to us in the waiver order.

The teams below us are likely out of playoff contention, so there's less incentive for them to claim him.

The teams below us are likely out of playoff contention, so there's less incentive for them to claim him.

Unless they're desperate for WR help and think bringing him in for 3 Weeks could sweeten their chance to sign him in the offseason if he develops something with their QB.

I support bringing him in and letting him test drive the team to see if we could sign him an a FA. He is better than anyone on our roster not named Sammy. We paid Harvin to play for two weeks, i don't see we wouldn't pick him up

I just can't see what he could accomplish in the last two weeks as a brand new guy (with a bad QB) that would make any difference.

Good memories of him from ND; shame he hasn't been able to put it together in the pros.

I just can't see what he could accomplish in the last two weeks as a brand new guy (with a bad QB) that would make any difference.

Good memories of him from ND; shame he hasn't been able to put it together in the pros.

Huh? He's been a top tier #2 WR on a usual contender with two other very productive guys in John Brown and Larry Fitz.

I don't think he accomplishes much. I think it's about the only way he may decide to sign here in 2017 absent overpaying, coming in and having a little time to train with the guys. This would not be a move for this year

He and John Brown both disappeared this season. I really thought Floyd was going to be "the man" a few years ago, but it never translated at the NFL level.

John Brown was diagnosed as having the sickle cell trait midseason, and the effects of that condition have hurt his production. He's outstanding when healthy so not really fair to lump him in with Floyd.

I don't think Floyd is a bad egg. I've met him a couple of times and he was always really nice. We got to sit next to his mom at a game a few years back at ND and she was such a nice lady. He has a support system around him that can pick him up from this stupid mistake. You buy low on this guy and you have a solid #2 for the next 4-5 years.

If we could claim him, then convince him to sign a reasonable deal with us, I'd be ok with it. We need as much help as we can get. But if it's just for the rest of the season, any non playoff team would be foolish to claim him, considering his contract is up at seasons end.

Edited by BillsGuru4

Probably a sign that the locker room has soured on him. I understand that the Cards have a crowded receiving core with Fitz, Brown, and now Nelson so him getting bench for poor performance isn't a sign of anything else than he is having a down year which could be due to multiple factors (Injury, QB regression, personal issues, new system, lack of reps, ect) but getting cut in a league where depth is a sought after luxury means Floyd either asked to be cut or that he lost the locker room.

If I am the Bills I steer away, I get the temptation but the Bills situation is already very combustible and adding this possibly negative locker room influence at best will only make the situation worse or only have a marginal impact.

John Brown was diagnosed as having the sickle cell trait midseason, and the effects of that condition have hurt his production. He's outstanding when healthy so not really fair to lump him in with Floyd.

Serious question: if his problems stem from sickle-cell anemia, how can he ever get "healthy"? That's a genetic trait that he presumably has had his entire life. So what changed this year, and what would change going forward? I don't know a ton about sickle-cell.

As for Michael Floyd, I'd probably be in favor of claiming him, maybe just in the hopes of getting a comp pick when he leaves in the offseason. But then again, it's not my $1.3 million paying for the hope of an extra late round pick. I don't know much about Floyd's off-field problems, other than that he was recently arrested for DUI. If memory serves, he's never had a season worthy of his draft status, but he was pretty good last year. If Floyd could get his act together and be the guy from 2015, I'd rather have him than Woods at the same money.