The "Rex ruined Mario Williams" crowd looks pretty silly...

eball

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex got a shot in on Mario yesterday

Ryan spent several minutes Monday praising linebacker Lorenzo Alexander, who leads the NFL with seven sacks. Then he added this:

“Whether you rush him from an inside spot, an outside spot, wherever, he continues to do a great job. He drops (into coverage). I don’t recall him ever b----ing about dropping. He’s just doing a great job.”

That seemed to be a clear shot at ex-Bills defensive end Mario Williams, who often complained last year about being asked to cover in addition to rushing.

Since Ryan brought it up, Alexander’s seven sacks through five games are already more than Williams had all last season (5) and this season with Miami (1) combined.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/10/10/rex-ryan-hoping-rams-run-stupid-fake-punt/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=puma#link_time=1476176587

The curious case of "why doesn't Mario get benched" continues.

Last year I thought it was just because he is Mario Williams. His reputation required offenses to account for him, but after five more games in a different defense I have no idea why he isn't benched.

So what you are saying is that they need a certain specific coach to succeed. Gotcha!

See my previous post in this thread. Haynesworth has publically stated just that in his Letter to my Younger Self: "you're like a system QB. You thrive in a very specific scheme"

Did Rex suck last year or did he simply not have the players and buy in to run his D scheme

cuz that D is looking pretty good now

Last couple games, yes. Looked meh the first week and pretty durn awful the second week. So along with firing Roman, did Rex change something?

My money is "some of both". I think he needed better/different LB than he had last year (Lorax and Zach Brown doing very nicely) and a different type of DL. I also think he may have made some changes, not to the scheme itself but to the complexity of his game plan and to how he's using it.

The season is far from over but I could have been totally wrong and Mario might be shot. It blows my mind that he could go from all pro to nothing in 2 years. But anything that helps the Bills and hurts Miami is awesome in my book.

And Rex's 2015 defense still sucked.

Are you suggesting Rex Ryan isn't still the architect of this defense? You think he's not game planning schemes each week? Don't kid yourself, Rex still has his hands all over this defense. The big difference this year is that he's not half-assing things to appease star players because he didn't have the balls to bench those players when they bitched about how they were being used.

Not at all. It's for 100% certain it's his defense but he is no longer calling the plays. I equate that change to around the same thing that happened in firing Greg Roman on the offensive side. He fired himself and he should have done that at some point last year too.

I think the difference is that being the head coach and the defensive coordinator while taking on the duties of running the entire team and the entire defense was simply too much to handle. As it would for any head coach to also task himself with an entire side of a team to run while being the head coach.

Dennis Thurman is doing a brilliant job so far and all Bills fans should be happy about the improvement! The Bills are #4 in QB pressures and #4 in sacks!!! Jerry Hughes is #5 in the NFL with 9 defensive hurries. Buffalo is currently 5th in the NFL in total defense.

Cheers to Rex for being smart enough to delegate the DC job to Thurman. :beer:

I think Mario checked out when he had to learn a new system when Rex got here. He seemed to be disinterested in playing in that scheme but now it seems like he has just checked out of football in general. Miami is not getting much from having him out there and they put him in a scheme that he seemed to want.

I think Mario checked out when he had to learn a new system when Rex got here. He seemed to be disinterested in playing in that scheme but now it seems like he has just checked out of football in general. Miami is not getting much from having him out there and they put him in a scheme that he seemed to want.

Yep. "Checking out" or "Mailing it in" or Slacking, or Underperforming, whatever ya want to call it, it gets to be a habit after ya done it for a while.

The $$$, possibly even the women, ruined Mario. He's a freak athlete who probably could have been on of the all time greats if he went all in on football. Instead he's just a guy who got rich off of the game. Can't be mad at him for that though.

I can't say it was the money to an extreme degree like Haynesworth. When Mario got his huge deal with the Bills he still turned in 3 double digit sack seasons (2 of those in 2013 and 2014 he was a dominant player one of the best pass rushers in the league.) You can't say Mario was a bad signing for the Bills. But it seems like he just never had the passion to play well into his 30's. He had a freak ability and turned it into a pretty good career. He will most likely have 100 sacks over a 10+ year career which is a pretty dam good run. But had he had the work ethic and passion of an all time great then he would be in the hall of fame and one of the best to do it.

But that's what separates the really good players from the hall of famers sometimes. He probably gets signed next year and then retires half way through the season.

Edited by billsfan89

I don't think Mario was a bad signing, but I do think that our attitude toward him turned when his attitude toward effort turned. For whatever reason, Mario ceased to perform and we were glad to see him go. Superstars should never underperform to the point that fans cheer for their departure. Even if the physical skills diminish, the effort and character should be resilient. Evidently, in Mario's case, something was lacking. Fans are entitled to point their collective finger at Mario's effort.

Not at all. It's for 100% certain it's his defense but he is no longer calling the plays. I equate that change to around the same thing that happened in firing Greg Roman on the offensive side. He fired himself and he should have done that at some point last year too.

I think the difference is that being the head coach and the defensive coordinator while taking on the duties of running the entire team and the entire defense was simply too much to handle. As it would for any head coach to also task himself with an entire side of a team to run while being the head coach.

Dennis Thurman is doing a brilliant job so far and all Bills fans should be happy about the improvement! The Bills are #4 in QB pressures and #4 in sacks!!! Jerry Hughes is #5 in the NFL with 9 defensive hurries. Buffalo is currently 5th in the NFL in total defense.

Cheers to Rex for being smart enough to delegate the DC job to Thurman. :beer:

At times with the Jets Dennis Thurman or Mike Pettine would call the plays.

In fact, when Pettine left to go to the Bills, Rex announced he would resume calling plays again.

I don't think Mario was a bad signing, but I do think that our attitude toward him turned when his attitude toward effort turned. For whatever reason, Mario ceased to perform and we were glad to see him go. Superstars should never underperform to the point that fans cheer for their departure. Even if the physical skills diminish, the effort and character should be resilient. Evidently, in Mario's case, something was lacking. Fans are entitled to point their collective finger at Mario's effort.

Poor effort and poor results is a bad combination. Throw in poor attitude and a huge cap number and you just have a player who needs to go and will likely be addition by subtraction which he turned out to be. I thought Mario might have been frustrated by Rex Ryan's scheme and then the injuries and regression by other defensive players. So I thought Mario would have a solid season for the Fins in a scheme he is more comfortable with and playing for his next contract. But 1 sack so far through 5 games is proving not to be the case. Maybe Mario finishes strong like he did in 2012 when he racked up some cheapish sacks but I think he is just done with the pro game he got his money both as a top draft pick and with the Bills (Not to mention his 6 million from the Fins this year.)