The "Rex ruined Mario Williams" crowd looks pretty silly...

eball

oh another "I told you so" thread...

dude isn't even a Bill anymore. he didn't want to be a Bill anymore. yet and still we are dedicating threads to him haha

ya because people spend years here making excuses for "their" guy, for 3 years we had to hear how trent edwards just needs a better offensive line etc. Its a forum we get to proclaim our victory when we are proven right, the player isnt dead once he moves on, once a bill always a bill (unless it was a 1 year deal)

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's saying that you can't fault someone for not loving the game.

Its hard not to love football, but some guys just don't.

There are a LOT of players who don't love the game and only play it for the money...you'd be surprised how many...ex players talk about it a lot...

I heard that about Julius Peppers. His teammates said that he could've been an all-time great if he had loved football the way he loved basketball. In general, I can even see some players that came into the league loving football becoming disenchanted with the NFL.

dude isn't even a Bill anymore. he didn't want to be a Bill anymore. yet and still we are dedicating threads to him haha

If someone predicted doom over losing a player then a thread about how bad that player is doing is fair game. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Kicking dirt. How exciting! Any updates on John McCargo?

Ahhh, let's let the Mario fanboys off the hook crowd ?

Good day for merper, law, firechan (rip) and others I can't recall.

Mario and Albert Haynesworth did very well with Jim Schwartz

Albert Haynesworth seems to feel it made a difference:

If nothing else, listen to me on this, Albert: Do not leave the Tennessee Titans. Your defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is a mastermind. No matter how much I tell you this, you’ll probably never realize it until your career is over, but it’s true. You’re like a system quarterback. You thrive in a very specific scheme. (....) [in Washington] you’re going to be introduced to a different brand of football. (...) football in Washington versus football in Tennessee was like the difference between a general physician and a cardiologist. Both doctors. One is just a little more sophisticated. (....) what people aren’t going to see is Mike Shanahan calling you into his office and saying, “Albert, we just want you to eat up space. All we want you to do is grab the center and let the linebackers run free.” You’re going to look at this famous NFL head coach in total disbelief and say, “You want to pay me $100 million to grab the center?”

But slacking gets to be a habit, just like anything else a guy keeps doing.

...I looked, and looked, and looked all throughout the Fish/Titans box score and just couldn't find Mario's name (aside from the fact he started the game).

Sacks: 0

Solo Tackles: 0

Assisted Tackles: 0

Yeah, it was Rex's D alright.

You know, more than one thing can be true at the same time, right?

It can be true that

1) Rex's D scheme did not make the best use of the personnel we had last year, including Mario Williams, Marcell Dareus, and the LB we had last year

2) In response to a scheme that didn't best suit his skills, Mario "mailed it in", and that has become a football habit he has not changed

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

If nothing else, listen to me on this, Albert: Do not leave the Tennessee Titans. Your defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is a mastermind. No matter how much I tell you this, you’ll probably never realize it until your career is over, but it’s true. You’re like a system quarterback. You thrive in a very specific scheme. (....) [in Washington] you’re going to be introduced to a different brand of football. (...) football in Washington versus football in Tennessee was like the difference between a general physician and a cardiologist. Both doctors. One is just a little more sophisticated. (....) what people aren’t going to see is Mike Shanahan calling you into his office and saying, “Albert, we just want you to eat up space. All we want you to do is grab the center and let the linebackers run free.” You’re going to look at this famous NFL head coach in total disbelief and say, “You want to pay me $100 million to grab the center?”

Wow was that a good read, thanks.“You want to pay me $100 million to grab the center?”... "“Can’t you just pay someone $300,000 a year to do that?”

Sounds like he's doing well know, glad for him.

If nothing else, listen to me on this, Albert: Do not leave the Tennessee Titans. Your defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is a mastermind. No matter how much I tell you this, youll probably never realize it until your career is over, but its true. Youre like a system quarterback. You thrive in a very specific scheme. (....) [in Washington] youre going to be introduced to a different brand of football. (...) football in Washington versus football in Tennessee was like the difference between a general physician and a cardiologist. Both doctors. One is just a little more sophisticated. (....) what people arent going to see is Mike Shanahan calling you into his office and saying, Albert, we just want you to eat up space. All we want you to do is grab the center and let the linebackers run free. Youre going to look at this famous NFL head coach in total disbelief and say, You want to pay me $100 million to grab the center?

But slacking gets to be a habit, just like anything else a guy keeps doing.

You know, more than one thing can be true at the same time, right?

It can be true that

1) Rex's D scheme did not make the best use of the personnel we had last year, including Mario Williams, Marcell Dareus, and the LB we had last year

2) In response to a scheme that didn't best suit his skills, Mario "mailed it in", and that has become a football habit he has not changed

If this board agrees on one thing it's that the fan base can only draw bipolar conclusions. It can only be true that either:

A) Rex is a bumbling idiot who sabatoged all universe Mario beyond reproach

Or

B) Mario is/was and always will be a selfish effortless waste of space that ruined Rex's defensive brilliance

Ahhh, let's let the Mario fanboys off the hook crowd ?

Good day for merper, law, firechan (rip) and others I can't recall.

No Mario fanboy here ever. In fact was against the kidnapping by old man Nix. Based on the (correct) Houston reports of his attitude. Some here knew what we were getting. A Dude that upon signing said " I am no locker room leader". I am all for letting dead horses lie. And move on.

The Gentleman that started this crap thread the day after a third Bills win in a row! And just stirring a pot of burned out last years trash. He Was a early Mario supporter though, which is something. And deserves an award for being a numero uno 2016 mud slinger. If this thread improves TBD Buffalo Bills discussions. I guess I ain't feleling it. Can we talk about how EJ sucks next though? Or does it wait until next season?

No Mario fanboy here ever. In fact was against the kidnapping by old man Nix. Based on the (correct) Houston reports of his attitude. Some here knew what we were getting. A Dude that upon signing said " I am no locker room leader". I am all for letting dead horses lie. And move on.

The Gentleman that started this crap thread the day after a third Bills win in a row! And just stirring a pot of burned out last years trash. He Was a early Mario supporter though, which is something. And deserves an award for being a numero uno 2016 mud slinger. If this thread improves TBD Buffalo Bills discussions. I guess I ain't feleling it. Can we talk about how EJ sucks next though? Or does it wait until next season?

Checks and balances. Nothing wrong with that.

Everyone gets there chops busted when they are wrong.

"It's all in the game, yo"

Players get old! It's not just bad Rex scheme vs. uninterested/lackadaisacal Mario. Mario is 31. Sure, some great defenders continue to play at a very high level well into their 30s. Robert Mathis. James Harrison. (hmm, I'm sensing a theme here) Fans tend to forget that the age/performance curve is brutal. I still run across very knowledgeable/intelligent baseball fans who tell me that a position player's prime years are 28-32 (it's more like 26-27).

EDIT: it's probably younger than 26-27 in baseball in the post-PED boom era: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/hitters-no-longer-peak-only-decline/ I'm using baseball as an example because it is far easier to measure individual performance/decline. Obviously in football certain "team" and football intelligence factors may substitute for pure athletic talent; this is why many QBs hit peak performance in their 30s. But for a position that is more about physical talent and intensity than almost any other -- the now commonly called "edge rusher" -- I think it's fair to assume that peaks are hit younger.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

It would be different if the entire team hadn't fallen off the face of the earth in sacks last year! Rex Ryan still managed to piss off alienate his two best players on his defense so much that they went public to complain about how they were being used!

This year with Thurman calling the plays the Bills are #4 in sacks and Alexander leads the NFL with 7 sacks. Cheers to Dennis Thurman :thumbsup:

Kicking dirt. How exciting! Any updates on John McCargo?

Only there is a huge difference because Mario couldn't just keep his mouth shut and show a little class, move on to another team and try his best.

He had to slam our organization, blame everyone but himself when he knew he couldn't play anymore, and scam some GM into giving him $10M. I can't recall a player ever stooping so low and I'm glad my prediction about him was correct. If I were the Fins I would cut the guy today and start developing younger players at that spot, it's not like he's a leader or team player that can help in other ways, he's a negative, just like he was here last year.

When people stop posting about:

(1) our DC from two years ago; or

(2) complaining that Rex ruined the Buffalo Bills defense

then there might be some credence to the premise that posts about a guy who "played" for us last year and now plays for a division rival are beating a dead horse. Maybe.

I'm pretty certain that as recently as last week somebody around here was still posting about how Mario was misused by Rex. It seems to me that some of you simply hate it when the ridiculous stands you take about a certain player/coach are proven to be misguided.

I'm pleased as punch the Bills have won three in a row, but those who ever really read what I post already know that. I want every Buffalo Bills player and coach to do well. What I don't understand is why some people feel the need to dig their heels in the sand over a particular issue rather than simply engage in back and forth discussions about the team. Who are they trying to impress? Why do some need to be right to the extent that they go over the top with their crusades? Those are the people a thread like this is targeting.

Ease up and realize nothing is absolute. Mario played great football for the Bills for a few seasons, and now he either sucks or doesn't care. It wasn't entirely Rex Ryan's fault.

Rex sucked last year. So did Mario.

I thought Mario sucked mostly because of the scheme and the lack of desire to play within the scheme.

It appears Mario has lost a couple steps or simply doesn't have the passion. I'm wrong to this point. And I'm perfectly fine with it.

Did Rex suck last year or did he simply not have the players and buy in to run his D scheme

cuz that D is looking pretty good now