The "Rex ruined Mario Williams" crowd looks pretty silly...

eball

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex sucked last year. So did Mario.

I thought Mario sucked mostly because of the scheme and the lack of desire to play within the scheme.

It appears Mario has lost a couple steps or simply doesn't have the passion. I'm wrong to this point. And I'm perfectly fine with it.

Where I'm at with this too. I figured that Mario knew the end in Buffalo was coming and kept himself from getting injured for the next deal.

Honestly seen very little of the Dolphins but the stat line is still disappointing. I still hate the constant mention of him, especially from those calling him classless and then relishing in his apparent demise.

Yes Rex sucked last year. The players didn't buy in, it's on Rex to get them to buy in. They seem to be doing so this year.

The defense turned it on late in the game yesterday, but they weren't playing that great up until that pick 6. Case Keenum was carving them up until that point.

Yes Rex sucked last year. The players didn't buy in, it's on Rex to get them to buy in. They seem to be doing so this year.

The defense turned it on late in the game yesterday, but they weren't playing that great up until that pick 6. Case Keenum was carving them up until that point.

Pretty sure this D is ranked 6th in the league right now Scott....when you look at it you have to look at it as a whole.

The only bad game I have seen this year from the D is the jet game (then they implode....go figure)

Jim Schwartz is a great DC. Rex Ryan is a great DC. They, however, run vastly different schemes.

This whole Mario issues is less about Mario (an aging and overpaid DE) and is more about the overall impact to the Bills decision to alter course with Ryan.

Many make the argument that the transition from Schwartz to Ryan cost the Bills a legitimate shot at the playoffs last season. Mario was the poster boy for the issues on defense, but remember that Dareus and Hughes combined for only 7 sacks last year. So the transition was not an easy one.

And the transition to Ryan's defense has also been pricey. It hastened Mario's departure, creating dead cap space. And the Bills spent their first 3 draft picks on the defensive front seven, which at the end of 2014 was unfathomable.

However, if the progress the defense is showing this season is legit (and like most Bills fans, I pray that it is), and the Bills make the playoffs, last season will be seen as an acceptable transition to success, and not a self-inflicted crash and burn season, adding many more seasons to the playoff drought.

So it's less about Mario, and more about the Pegula's decision to rebuild an area of strength under Ryan. Considering the results after the first 5 games, the argument tilts in favor of this decision.

If the team ends up at 500 or worse at the end of the season, however, the argument tilts back against the decision to hire Ryan, and Mario represents the missed opportunity to build on the success of Schwartz's defense.

it isn't the coordinator, it isn't the scheme. It's the player. Mario looked great under Pettine too before Schwartz. Hughes has looked great under Pettine, Schwartz, Rex. While some players will shine brighter in different schemes, when there is a significant drop off in production - more often than not it is on the player. IMO

but i heard this is the perfect scheme for super mario?

Honestly seen very little of the Dolphins but the stat line is still disappointing. I still hate the constant mention of him, especially from those calling him classless and then relishing in his apparent demise.

I imagine that many people, self included, place much of the blame of last year's performance on Mario's role in the defense and the mood he set for the rest of the players to rebel against Rex. Nobody talks about a rumored near mutiny that was building, and to me all roads lead to one player. This would not have happened if Kyle didn't get hurt.

Pretty sure this D is ranked 6th in the league right now Scott....when you look at it you have to look at it as a whole.

The only bad game I have seen this year from the D is the jet game (then they implode....go figure)

Scott's not wrong, they really struggled to stop an awful QB in the first half. Keenum was 10-of-14 in the first half after being around 55% this season. Poor tackling/angles, corner play was pretty meh on the boundary.

The positive is they adjusted when it mattered, I'll give Rex/Thurman credit for making the adjustments they didn't in Week 2.

I imagine that many people, self included, place much of the blame of last year's performance on Mario's role in the defense and the mood he set for the rest of the players to rebel against Rex. Nobody talks about a rumored near mutiny that was building, and to me all roads lead to one player. This would not have happened if Kyle didn't get hurt.

I'm on record as a Mario fan. I didn't particularly like the way he conducted himself but that's his choice to make. It was plainly obvious he had no long-term future with the team.

I think there was multiple factors at play last year, not going to put 100% of it on Mario. I don't think many people came out of 2015 with an enhanced reputation, least of all Mario. I kinda blame Rex for not benching him but, again, his choice to make.

It would be different if the entire team hadn't fallen off the face of the earth in sacks last year! Rex Ryan still managed to piss off alienate his two best players on his defense so much that they went public to complain about how they were being used!

This year with Thurman calling the plays the Bills are #4 in sacks and Alexander leads the NFL with 7 sacks. Cheers to Dennis Thurman :thumbsup:

Are you suggesting Rex Ryan isn't still the architect of this defense? You think he's not game planning schemes each week? Don't kid yourself, Rex still has his hands all over this defense. The big difference this year is that he's not half-assing things to appease star players because he didn't have the balls to bench those players when they bitched about how they were being used.

Are you suggesting Rex Ryan isn't still the architect of this defense? You think he's not game planning schemes each week? Don't kid yourself, Rex still has his hands all over this defense. The big difference this year is that he's not half-assing things to appease star players because he didn't have the balls to bench those players when they bitched about how they were being used.

Which makes last year a result of his piss-poor leadership.

Jim Schwartz is a great DC. Rex Ryan is a great DC. They, however, run vastly different schemes.

This whole Mario issues is less about Mario (an aging and overpaid DE) and is more about the overall impact to the Bills decision to alter course with Ryan.

Many make the argument that the transition from Schwartz to Ryan cost the Bills a legitimate shot at the playoffs last season. Mario was the poster boy for the issues on defense, but remember that Dareus and Hughes combined for only 7 sacks last year. So the transition was not an easy one.

And the transition to Ryan's defense has also been pricey. It hastened Mario's departure, creating dead cap space. And the Bills spent their first 3 draft picks on the defensive front seven, which at the end of 2014 was unfathomable.

However, if the progress the defense is showing this season is legit (and like most Bills fans, I pray that it is), and the Bills make the playoffs, last season will be seen as an acceptable transition to success, and not a self-inflicted crash and burn season, adding many more seasons to the playoff drought.

So it's less about Mario, and more about the Pegula's decision to rebuild an area of strength under Ryan. Considering the results after the first 5 games, the argument tilts in favor of this decision.

If the team ends up at 500 or worse at the end of the season, however, the argument tilts back against the decision to hire Ryan, and Mario represents the missed opportunity to build on the success of Schwartz's defense.

Now here's a good post.

Which makes last year a result of his piss-poor leadership.

Absolutely. Ryan tried to be all things to all players. I understand a coach's reluctance to openly question the undisputed alpha lockerroom presence, which is what Mario was in no uncertain terms, but that's when a good coach takes the bull by the horns instead of acquiescing. Ryan needed the courage in his convictions about his defensive schemes enough to say "my way of the highway" and couldn't muster the nerve.

Players that quit are one thing. Tolerating them is quite another. Rex failed miserably on that score last season.

...They, however, run vastly different schemes.

....more about the Pegula's decision to rebuild an area of strength under Ryan. Considering the results after the first 5 games, the argument tilts in favor of this decision.

I think you packaged the reality pretty well. To zero in on a detail, it's not clear the rebuild was a decision taken at the time of the hiring or a realization after the sustained underperformance.

As long as you get there, it's not relevant, other than recognition of vision verses reaction

I'm on record as a Mario fan. I didn't particularly like the way he conducted himself but that's his choice to make. It was plainly obvious he had no long-term future with the team.

I think there was multiple factors at play last year, not going to put 100% of it on Mario. I don't think many people came out of 2015 with an enhanced reputation, least of all Mario. I kinda blame Rex for not benching him but, again, his choice to make.

And on this one, I'm in full agreement that Mario's butt should have been on the bench after the Cincy game.

i don't even know what "scheme" Miami is trying to run. Whatever it is they need to re-think it.

Their head coach called their team "inept", lmao....isn't he the one that should be fixing that and making sure they aren't inept?

1. Mario Williams (53 snaps, 72 percent). How little Mario Williams has done in 263 snaps is pretty remarkable. In all those snaps, a total of seven tackles and one sack. Williams has a cap hit of $6.5 million this season and doesn’t figure to be reaching his Pro Bowl or sack incentives. Williams has performed slightly than last season with Buffalo, but it’s very hard at this point to see Miami paying Williams $10.5 next season.

~ The Sun Sentinel