The "Rex ruined Mario Williams" crowd looks pretty silly...

eball

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct #15 this year, #19 last year. Still, average by definition. I think hailing Rex's returned genius is a little premature.

Honesty don't get why this is the perceived stat to determine how good a defense is, is it because ESPN labels it as Total Defense? I hope you are aware that it's just Total Yards, right?

It's a flawed way to look at a defense. Consider, Team A allows 500 yards and 2 TDs in a game. Team B allows 350 yards and 5 TDs a game. According to "Total Defense" Team B is the better defense. Does that at all make sense? Points win games, Team B gave up way more points.

Yes the Bills are "average" in Total Yards. They are top ten in points allowed, sacks, takeaways and points per drive. Hardly average.

They are playing above average at the moment, and I'd probably say they are somewhere between 9th and 11th in the league.

IMO, not benching Mario was on Rex's short list of indefensible moves in 2015.

That it's continuing on another team, especially after he left Houston on such a cold note, baffles the mind.

I agree that he should have benched Mario but his options were a no effort Mario or IK. It was kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

Honesty don't get why this is the perceived stat to determine how good a defense is, is it because ESPN labels it as Total Defense? I hope you are aware that it's just Total Yards, right?

It's a flawed way to look at a defense. Consider, Team A allows 500 yards and 2 TDs in a game. Team B allows 350 yards and 5 TDs a game. According to "Total Defense" Team B is the better defense. Does that at all make sense? Points win games, Team B gave up way more points.

Yes the Bills are "average" in Total Yards. They are top ten in points allowed, sacks, takeaways and points per drive. Hardly average.

They are playing above average at the moment, and I'd probably say they are somewhere between 9th and 11th in the league.

Because that is the stat that fits his narrative

I agree that he should have benched Mario but his options were a no effort Mario or IK. It was kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

from what I heard from a bills reporter who I spoke to at the opener it would have been exactly the right thing to do and players would ha e supported it

from what I heard from a bills reporter who I spoke to at the opener it would have been exactly the right thing to do and players would ha e supported it

You heard right. MW was a negative presence in that room from the moment he started complaining. No-balls Ryan should have sat his ass and if that wasn't enough, cut him, rather than have that kind of influence over key, young players. The ONLY player who could get in MW's grill was KW and he wasn't around. Poor Preston Brown walked a thin line all season because of it, too.

You heard right. MW was a negative presence in that room from the moment he started complaining. No-balls Ryan should have sat his ass and if that wasn't enough, cut him, rather than have that kind of influence over key, young players. The ONLY player who could get in MW's grill was KW and he wasn't around. Poor Preston Brown walked a thin line all season because of it, too.

In retrospect....it would have been the right thing to do. I just wonder if the coaching staff was waiting for Mario to "get it" and turn it on.

I mean....lets face it...the guy physically is a monster....he has everything you want in a blue chip player....except for the most important thing

In retrospect....it would have been the right thing to do. I just wonder if the coaching staff was waiting for Mario to "get it" and turn it on.

I mean....lets face it...the guy physically is a monster....he has everything you want in a blue chip player....except for the most important thing

I still believe that if Bills were able to get Coples, Mario would have sat a lot more.

You are correct #15 this year, #19 last year. Still, average by definition. I think hailing Rex's returned genius is a little premature.

It's not Rex! He called the defensive plays last year and Dennis Thurman calls the defensive plays this year. As head coach, Ryan certainly gets credit for what the defense is doing and it's his scheme just being used differently than last year. We no longer see the plays coming in late, or late player substitutions, or players not set when the ball is snapped which is all onThurman.

We also no longer see confusion or turmoil as to what's happening on the field so this leads me to believe this year's additions in Ed Reed and the bigger bro to the coaching staff also are helping a great deal.

As for the sack total increase this year. The basic 3-4 defense has two different distinct sets and one has the D-line players primarily rushing the passer. The other set has the D-line players focusing on controlling the gaps and then when the ball is snapped they read, react to whichever way the play is going. This second set is used mostly to stop the run on first and second down.

Common logic dictates which set was used more often last year and which has been used more often this year. It's not really that difficult to figure out. Then consider that Dareus was complaining about how he was being asked to play from the start of training camp last year to understand he simply wanted to rush the passer more often over controlling gaps and he even stated he wanted to just rush.

For a better understanding,

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/6/25/5841992/playing-the-run-on-defense-1-gap-vs-2-gap-schemes

So far, with the exception of the Jets game. This is the defense we were all expecting last year when Ryan stated he had never had this much talent on a defense and he expected to field the #1 defense. That Jets game in week two really skewed the stats and if not for that single game that allowed 493 yards of offense the Bills defense would look so much better stat wise right now.

I'm sure there was a lot to that aspect of it as well. Going into last season and based on his entire body of work to that point, there was nothing to suggest MW didn't have the sheer athletic talent to excel in RR's defense. But what was that defense? It was some sort of half-assed amalgam contrived to appease players that had success in the previous system. That said, a couple personnel guys were suggesting that MW lost some of his explosion and that, combined with his poor attitude, contributed to his decline. Bottom line though is that RR needed to have the stones to replace him in the lineup and didn't.

I hope you all know that Mario is going to have like 3 sacks vs us. He still a good player when he wants to be. Hes a physical freak, he just lacks the desire

'Nuff said.

Although his level of explosion has dropped off. Some say considerably. He could have the best day of his career against us, but if he doesn't sustain that high level after, like he has shown up to this point before, it means nothing.

I wouldn't bet, but it's a legit fear of mine. It could happen if Mario actually cared. (There's the catch!)

Right. And Spiller is athletic enough to post another 1500 APY season. Not betting on it though.

It's not Rex! He called the defensive plays last year and Dennis Thurman calls the defensive plays this year. As head coach, Ryan certainly gets credit for what the defense is doing and it's his scheme just being used differently than last year. We no longer see the plays coming in late, or late player substitutions, or players not set when the ball is snapped which is all onThurman.

We also no longer see confusion or turmoil as to what's happening on the field so this leads me to believe this year's additions in Ed Reed and the bigger bro to the coaching staff also are helping a great deal.

As for the sack total increase this year. The basic 3-4 defense has two different distinct sets and one has the D-line players primarily rushing the passer. The other set has the D-line players focusing on controlling the gaps and then when the ball is snapped they read, react to whichever way the play is going. This second set is used mostly to stop the run on first and second down.

Common logic dictates which set was used more often last year and which has been used more often this year. It's not really that difficult to figure out. Then consider that Dareus was complaining about how he was being asked to play from the start of training camp last year to understand he simply wanted to rush the passer more often over controlling gaps and he even stated he wanted to just rush.

For a better understanding,

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/6/25/5841992/playing-the-run-on-defense-1-gap-vs-2-gap-schemes

So far, with the exception of the Jets game. This is the defense we were all expecting last year when Ryan stated he had never had this much talent on a defense and he expected to field the #1 defense. That Jets game in week two really skewed the stats and if not for that single game that allowed 493 yards of offense the Bills defense would look so much better stat wise right now.

Let it go.

First off, Marcell Dareus was complaining about how he was being asked to play in Ryan's scheme from the start of training camp. Second, weeks later Mario was more complaining about dropping into pass coverage so often and at week six it was noted that Dareus was asked to drop into pass coverage six times and Mario fourteen times.

If you read an article in the Buffalo News late last year the Bills coaches stated that they were happy with Mario's play in how he was being used. They were never going to bench him or had never even given that possibility a thought.

From a Tyler Dunne article Dec 13, 2015, http://buffalonews.com/2015/12/31/marios-swan-song-with-bills-is-near/

Ryan. Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman. Defensive line coach Karl Dunbar. Coaches have supported Williams all season long – possibly to a fault. Their message has never wavered.

Dunbar, all smiles, praised the veteran on Thursday.

Asked how one of this generation’s best pass rushers can last 54 snaps without one tackle, one hit, one sack, Dunbar reiterated they’re pleased with Williams’ play.

“He’s doing a good job of coming off the edge and the quarterback’s getting rid of the ball,” Dunbar said. “It’s kind of hard because the defense we play is predicated on what they give us and who’s going to be the hot guy. Yeah, you wish you had more tackles, you wish you had more sacks. But I think he’s helping our defense based upon the things he’s doing.”

Dunbar cited linebacker Manny Lawson’s hit on Dallas’ Kellen Moore – the team’s only registered QB hit in the game – as one such play. Williams covered tight end James Hanna out of the backfield, eliminating the hot read and Moore was walloped.

The coach asserts Williams “has been around the quarterback” and didn’t hesitate on if Williams has been giving his all.

“Yeah, I think so,” Dunbar said. “He’s out there doing the things we’ve asked him to do. … It’s a little bit different than what he’s done in the past, but I think it’s working for us.”

And Dunbar does view Williams as a fit in Buffalo’s defense, even when the player himself puts the scheme on trial.

First off, Marcell Dareus was complaining about how he was being asked to play in Ryan's scheme from the start of training camp. Second, weeks later Mario was more complaining about dropping into pass coverage so often and at week six it was noted that Dareus was asked to drop into pass coverage six times and Mario fourteen times.

If you read an article in the Buffalo News late last year the Bills coaches stated that they were happy with Mario's play in how he was being used. They were never going to bench him or had never even given that possibility a thought.

From a Tyler Dunne article Dec 13, 2015, http://buffalonews.com/2015/12/31/marios-swan-song-with-bills-is-near/

Ryan. Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman. Defensive line coach Karl Dunbar. Coaches have supported Williams all season long – possibly to a fault. Their message has never wavered.

Asked how one of this generation’s best pass rushers can last 54 snaps without one tackle, one hit, one sack, Dunbar reiterated they’re pleased with Williams’ play.

“He’s doing a good job of coming off the edge and the quarterback’s getting rid of the ball,” Dunbar said. “It’s kind of hard because the defense we play is predicated on what they give us and who’s going to be the hot guy. Yeah, you wish you had more tackles, you wish you had more sacks. But I think he’s helping our defense based upon the things he’s doing.”

Dunbar cited linebacker Manny Lawson’s hit on Dallas’ Kellen Moore – the team’s only registered QB hit in the game – as one such play. Williams covered tight end James Hanna out of the backfield, eliminating the hot read and Moore was walloped.

The coach asserts Williams “has been around the quarterback” and didn’t hesitate on if Williams has been giving his all.

“Yeah, I think so,” Dunbar said. “He’s out there doing the things we’ve asked him to do. … It’s a little bit different than what he’s done in the past, but I think it’s working for us.”

And Dunbar does view Williams as a fit in Buffalo’s defense, even when the player himself puts the scheme on trial.

Let it go.

There's what's said to the media on the record and then there's what's said behind closed locker room doors.

Mario Williams was a negative locker room and field presence that had a lot of his teammates pissed off at his lack of effort and all the fluff pieces in the world won't change that, no matter how many times you post them.

And enough about Marcel Dareus and his complaints. He played very well after the bye which is not surprising given that it often takes the better part of half a season before players start to excel in new systems.