The "Rex ruined Mario Williams" crowd looks pretty silly...

eball

Some of us here were roundly ridiculed for suggesting no coach could have success with any scheme so long as our LBs played as lousy as they did in 2015. Welp. There you go.

Manny was considered by many to be the best LB during 2015 even taking away play calls from Preston Brown.

Now Manny is gone and Preston is playing very well.

Biggest difference from last year to this year I think is Kyle Williams. Last year he was lost and defense went down him. Many, many players and coaches have spoken how much they respect and he made pro bowls not due fan ballot stuffing but by being voted in by players and coaches. Even Lorenzo mentions him how he allows him to cleanup.

Unfortunately Super Mario lost the effort part of being Super.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But as his stats tell you, he wasn't successful. It was noticeable the difference in push when his backup came in and especially when they shuffled Suh into that LDE spot. Suh's putting in the effort, Mario no.

I do fault Rex for not using his talent suitably last year but it goes well beyond that with Mario. He just doesn't want it out there anymore.

As I've said before, slacking gets to be a habit, just like anything else a guy keeps doing.

Why is this so mysterious?

People are ultimately accountable for their own decisions and actions. Mario played poorly in 2015 and so far in 2016. He has the ability to play better and - in effect - chooses not to. That's fully on him.

On the other hand, coaches are supposed to bring out the best in their players. Rex is doing that this season with Z. Brown and L. Alexander. He didn't last year with Mario. So, yeah, you can call that a leadership failure. Then again, no leader is successful in bringing out the best in everyone who works for them. That's an impossible standard.

I'm really not much surprised Mario is dogging it again this year. Then again, I don't much care.

have you watch Miami to see how he is actually playing? See his scheme responsibilities? See the defense he is on?

Even of Mario was assigned to get to the qb the releases are pretty damn quick and he can't get there that fast. They have **** for dB's. **** for lbs. The dolfins are running a system similar to wannstadts. Pressure all four have lbs to read and react. Have CBS that keep it outside and safety duo that cleans up. Miamis defense is awful and its not because of Mario Williams. Its because the defense is awful and anyone from JJ watt to Bobby bouche couldn't fix it.

Teams haven't run at Mario, teams haven't even ran outside. They're going up the middle.

Disirregardless. What Mario is doing in Miami is nothing at all with how he did in Buffalo with Rex. Rex could not utilize a pro bowl player. If that's not fact then y'all need to learn your facts again.

Exhibit A for why this horse isn't dead yet.

As I've said before, slacking gets to be a habit, just like anything else a guy keeps doing.

Absolutely. Boyst was asking if anyone's actually watched him play this year and I specifically tuned in for a bit to see for myself. I came away not being able to blame the scheme. I won't argue Mario is/was a tremendous talent, his heart just isn't in it.

Absolutely. Boyst was asking if anyone's actually watched him play this year and I specifically tuned in for a bit to see for myself. I came away not being able to blame the scheme. I won't argue Mario is/was a tremendous talent, his heart just isn't in it.

never denied Mario was giving a lot of effort but by no means is he the reason they're failing. Its a dunoster fire

...I looked, and looked, and looked all throughout the Fish/Titans box score and just couldn't find Mario's name (aside from the fact he started the game).

Sacks: 0

Solo Tackles: 0

Assisted Tackles: 0

Yeah, it was Rex's D alright.

Did anyone actually say that? That "Rex ruined Mario"? Anyone? Much less a crowd?

I recall some people saying Mario was right that he shouldn't be covering passes. I disagreed, as it only happened a few times and even guys like Von Miller are used that way occasionally. I recall saying Rex wasn't using him right, but not a single one saying "Rex ruined Mario".

Straw man? Or did I miss a crowd saying that somewhere?

Edited by Thurman#1

Shouldn't it be "Mario ruined Rex' D" ?

Alexander is the sack leader in the NFL and Zack Brown is the tackle leader in the NFL.

If this continues through 2016 it seems like an open and shut case.

Looked to me like no ruining was done by either side.

Seemed that Rex's defense was too complex to be learned in one year, at least without bringing in one guy at every level - safety, LB and DL - from Rex's team to start up the middle of the defense the way the Jets did in Rex's first year there.

Now nearly everyone knows what's going on and can help the new guys.

I do agree that Mario sure didn't look like he was working hard. Maybe he's just old. Or maybe he's just not working hard.

never denied Mario was giving a lot of effort but by no means is he the reason they're failing. Its a dunoster fire

Ok, that's fair enough. I am saying that dumpster fire is not the reason he's failing. If he were putting in the effort like Suh then I could put it on the scheme. But if he were giving a better effort, maybe that defense would be less of a dumpster fire.

Some of us here were roundly ridiculed for suggesting no coach could have success with any scheme so long as our LBs played as lousy as they did in 2015. Welp. There you go.

For good reason. The same linebackers were stellar the prior season. The retooling of the roster validates the misfit.

Lorax and Zach Brown are completely different types of players than those they replaced.

It's fortunate the GM and maybe the coach recognized the issue and addressed it by finding better fits.

Did anyone actually say that? That "Rex ruined Mario"? Anyone? Much less a crowd?

I recall some people saying Mario was right that he shouldn't be covering passes. I disagreed, as it only happened a few times and even guys like Von Miller are used that way occasionally. I recall saying Rex wasn't using him right, but not a single one saying "Rex ruined Mario".

Straw man? Or did I miss a crowd saying that somewhere?

Geez, man. Do a forum search. If you're hung up on specific phrases, certainly you recall that Rex was blamed for Mario's putrid stats last year by many. The bottom line is that Mario could have been doing all of the things Lorax is doing now, last season, and instead he bitched and quit, and has proven through five games this season that it was all him.

There is no excuse for not putting forth effort -- even if the defense is complicated to learn.

Geez, man. Do a forum search. If you're hung up on specific phrases, certainly you recall that Rex was blamed for Mario's putrid stats last year by many. The bottom line is that Mario could have been doing all of the things Lorax is doing now, last season, and instead he bitched and quit, and has proven through five games this season that it was all him.

There is no excuse for not putting forth effort -- even if the defense is complicated to learn.

I see the effort point eball, but even if the JV attitude weren't there ol' 94 certainly would not be able to do everything Lorax is doing now.

Focus on him playing next week and tell me if even a MW with a Kyle motor could do what Lorax is doing.

No, no it was the two-gap scheme. I read it here about every time this subject was brought up. He was asked to do too much, players can't get sacks in Rex's scheme.

Of course it's now because Rex was calling the plays, now that Thurman is, it explains it all.

No, no it was the two-gap scheme. I read it here about every time this subject was brought up. He was asked to do too much, players can't get sacks in Rex's scheme.

Of course it's now because Rex was calling the plays, now that Thurman is, it explains it all.

Players didn't get sacks in Rex's system last year.