Sammy Watkins to get opinion on foot, season likely over

pbanach

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who operated on his foot?

Good question. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that it was not a Bills doctor.

As an aside, it seems that there is still a bit of mystery about how he originally hurt his foot.

There was no report of him injuring his foot etc. during the season, and the next thing we know, he comes back in the spring and we find out about this. I seem to recall that, initially, no one said when he hurt it. It was not until sometime later that some (Sammy) said that he originally hurt it during last season.

It could very well be that he originally hurt his foot during last season. Nevertheless, I continue to wonder whether Sammy hurt his foot during the off season.

Edited by Peter

Have you reviewed his medical records to arrive at this conclusion?

You don't need a medical degree to know that a broken bone in your foot in April shouldn't put you on IR in October. If he was hurt he needed to rehab, not be out there in training camp limping around

I have a friend who broke their foot and had screws and pins put in. 4 surgeries and 2 years later they are still recovering from it! I know everyone's injuries are different, but this could be a long road back for Sammy.

Or it couldnt like any other NFL WR that has had a Jones Surgery

You don't need a medical degree to know that a broken bone in your foot in April shouldn't put you on IR in October. If he was hurt he needed to rehab, not be out there in training camp limping around

Obviously this opinion wasn't so obvious to an entire medical and coaching staff. They should've consulted TBD before proceeding with his care.

I'm sure the medical staff followed the standard of care for his injury. They cannot be blamed for all injury ills of this team. Considering Watkins is injury prone, and I think you would agree with this, how can the docs be blamed? Furthermore, if Watkins was experiencing limping or pain during camp, then either the offensive coaches or even Sammy himself should've had the sense to sit him done.

Obviously this opinion wasn't so obvious to an entire medical and coaching staff. They should've consulted TBD before proceeding with his care.

I'm sure the medical staff followed the standard of care for his injury. They cannot be blamed for all injury ills of this team. Considering Watkins is injury prone, and I think you would agree with this, how can the docs be blamed? Furthermore, if Watkins was experiencing limping or pain during camp, then either the offensive coaches or even Sammy himself should've had the sense to sit him done.

Or it's a Jones fracture and there are complications that come with it, especially for players like a WR who puts a lot of pressure on that outside part of the foot.

See: Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Julian Edelman, etc.

Obviously a huge blow to Bills for this season. But I don't think it impacts their need for a #1 WR at least for next 2 years. Sammy will be back and hopefully ready to go in 2017. I do think Hunter needs to fill a huge void in 2016, let's hope he does. They definitely need to draft one high this year to replace woods who will most likely walk. And possibly to replace Sammy once he leaves as a FA (if he does).

Edited by YoloinOhio

I have a friend who broke their foot and had screws and pins put in. 4 surgeries and 2 years later they are still recovering from it! I know everyone's injuries are different, but this could be a long road back for Sammy.

almost wondering if SW will ever be the same or one of those what could have been guys.

Edited by MarkyMannn

He did. This is the guy who operated on his foot and put the screws in.

In April. This is October. Should have had regular checkups since then and should not have been on field in training camp if he was still in pain.

Or it couldnt like any other NFL WR that has had a Jones Surgery

I can't parse this. Are you saying that no other NFL WR with a Jones surgery has had a prolonged recovery?

I don't think that's true. It is said that Dez Bryant, Kevin Durant, and Julian Edelman all required a 2nd surgery. Julio Jones, apparently, did not. The complication rate of requiring 2nd surgery is said to be about 20%

Here are a couple of interesting references.

1) A study specific to this injury in NFL players:

https://www.aofas.org/PRC/meeting/Documents/returntoplayinnationalfoo.pdf

(note one of the authors is the surgeon who is said to have operated on Watkins)

Interesting that they define RTP (return to play) as "at least 1 regular season game", not as "coaches and patient believe recovery is complete"

2) A general description of the surgery

http://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/treatments/pages/fifth-metatarsal-fracture-surgery.aspx

Note that non-surgical treatment is apparently effective 80% of the time

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

In April. This is October. Should have had regular checkups since then and should not have been on field in training camp if he was still in pain.

he was not in pain. He was fully healed. This surgery has a 3 month recovery time to being fully healed. He had that. He said he felt great and ready to go, as well. In 20 percent of cases, the player needs a second surgery AFTER they return to game action. It happened to Julio. It happened to Edelman. It happened to Dez. None of these guys play for Bills. There is nothing out of the ordinary in terms of how the Bills handled it.

Obviously a huge blow to Bills for this season. But I don't think it impacts their need for a #1 WR at least for next 2 years. Sammy will be back and hopefully ready to go in 2017. I do think Hunter needs to fill a huge void in 2016, let's hope he does. They definitely need to draft one high this year to replace woods who will most likely walk. And possibly to replace Sammy once he leaves as a FA (if he does).

Jeez, I hope not. Can't stand to see Whaley give away another two # 1s in 2017 draft.

You don't need a medical degree, but you do need some knowledge of injuries and the usual course of rehab.

http://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/treatments/pages/fifth-metatarsal-fracture-surgery.aspx

https://www.aofas.org/PRC/meeting/Documents/returntoplayinnationalfoo.pdf

The usual course of recovery for this injury is 6-8 weeks "sports specific integration" and 8-10 weeks "return to play" after surgical fixation with screw, and Sammy "limping around in training camp" was right on course to be doing that as part of his rehab

However, a significant proportion of those treated do apparently suffer complications or need a 2nd surgery (one source says 20%).

Article about Edelman's Jones fracture which kept him out from Nov 15th to January 16th, 9 weeks.

Article about Julio Jones's Jones fracture rehab after 2013 season - again note that usual recovery is 6-12 weeks, but since Jones had been treated for the same injury in 2011 and broke the bone AND screw, his 2nd rehab was more cautious.

So if I'm reading this right most of these injuries don't require surgery 80% of the time. Of the 20% that do require surgery only 20% require a second surgery.

So we're saying that from the time he first injured the foot there was only a 4% chance that Watkins would end up requiring two surgeries? Of course that's what happened, he's on the Bills. Snake bit doesn't even begin to describe it at this point.

Well it least it was a productive season.

I enjoy people who probs my never played a sport on a high level questioning a NFL player's toughness. It's hilarious.

It seems to be just one manifestation of a philosophy held by many on this board regarding anything negative that happens with this team: Somebody must be blamed and/or somebody must pay/be punished...in some way - and it often becomes very personal. Unfortunately, frustration and anger can bring out the worst in human nature.

It seems to be just one manifestation of a philosophy held by many on this board regarding anything negative that happens with this team: Somebody must be blamed and/or somebody must pay/be punished...in some way - and it often becomes very personal. Unfortunately, frustration and anger can bring out the worst in human nature.

It's not just this board, it's our society.

Jeez, I hope not. Can't stand to see Whaley give away another two # 1s in 2017 draft.

two #1s?

@profootballdoc

#SammyWatkins @buffalobills

Bad news: season over

Good news: 100% for 2017 when healed.

See #Edelman #Dez #Julio & many more WR examples.

Edited by YoloinOhio