To be fair to Tyrod.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing Roman needs to do is figure out what went wrong with the running game (and I think he will it is the thing he does best) that will slow the rushers and buy Tyrod a little extra time but he needs to make faster and better decisions in the pocket. He just has to.

The couple of silly penalties aside and one matchup disaster that Rex rightly took on himself the defense was encouraging. If they can figure the run game out they can try and ease Tyrod back into some kind of ryhthm the next couple of games. I can't believe that at least in the short term Sunday will not do some damage to his confidence.

If you go back to the 49ers teams with Roman as OC and see that the Niners had one of the very best offensive lines in the league with a power type bruising RB and still had difficulty running the ball at times.

Now fast forward to Buffalo and look at that right side of the Bills line to see that it stinks with sub-average players and even worse backup players. Then Glenn was replaced by Cujo in the second quarter as his ankle went bad again. As good as Shady McCoy is he can't out juke a stacked box and without a deep passing threat to open up the run lanes it makes it difficult for any young QB to throw when the opposing team is attempting to make them throw.

From what I saw is that the offensive line really wasn't as bad as the game showed in pass blocking as Tyrod had plenty of time to throw at times and chose to quickly dump it off to a covered McCoy. The Bills have Goodwin and should at least attempt to throw to him a few times in the first quarter to put the fear of god in the DB's to open up that run game.

But yea, if the Bills can't get that run game going it will be another long game for them on Thursday.

I think our biggest issue is we are weighted too heavily on defense and not enough on offensive coaching.

We essentially have 3 defensive coordinators and Roman is on his own with the keys to a really talented offense that he seems to be mismanaging.

Look at our roster, we are not built to be a ground and pound team which is Romans system.

We have speed. A quick qb, shifty runners, speed receivers etc. This a run and shoot, create space and let TT improvise roster.

I am always against mid season coaching changes but if I were Rex I'd have Roman go to the press conference after any game we scored less than 20 points and take the tough questions.

And I would demand he call more aggressive packages/plays on offense, including giving Tyrod more leeway for line audibles. We are too tight and playing the wrong game for our personnel.

Buffalo has, IIRC, the largest coaching staff in the NFL. Not including the HC, his staff and special teams, I count 18 coaches of which 9 are offensive. An OC, OL coach, WR coach, QB coach, RB coach (also Asst HC) Offensive Ass't, Sr. Offensive Ass't, TE, and Ass't QB coach.

If the Bills can't figure out how to get the plays in, perhaps too many cooks is confusing the rest of the kitchen.

As for the offensive game-plan, Roman isn't acting independently here. He's fulfilling the HC's vision of playing it safe with short passes and plenty of runs. It's what the HC dictates and, if this were 1975, it might work. When has Rex ever been the type of innovative offensive coach who spreads the field and throws 30 passes a game?

The Ravens knew Taylor inside and out as he was their backup for four years and helped prepare their defense for every game. Sal C. from WGR stated the Ravens goal was to make Taylor look like a QB on Sunday.

Also, it didn't help that Rex barely played the starters in preseason, as you could tell the offense was not in sync with each other. While Rex was worried about the health of his team, resting his starters like that in preseason really hampered those guys on Sunday.

Please. I am respectfully calling for an end to the excuses for Tyrod Taylor.

He sucked because he sucks. Not because of the O line. Not because Sammy was "hurt." Not because play calls came in late.

He isn't good.

He's just another career backup who we tried to make a starter.

Please. I am respectfully calling for an end to the excuses for Tyrod Taylor.

He sucked because he sucks. Not because of the O line. Not because Sammy was "hurt." Not because play calls came in late.

He isn't good.

He's just another career backup who we tried to make a starter.

I can't help but figure that the majority of people who looking for answers to the offense's woes that go beyond the quarterback's blatant incompetence Sunday are the same people who insisted injuries had nothing to do with Rex's defense taking a step back in 2015...

Occam's Razor, folks.

I have to disagree. Watching the receivers most of the game, they were usually within 10 yards of each other. The routes called just weren't great and were timing throws.

I didn't feel like Sammy was being held back in what he was doing. Not unless Sammy said "don't send me deep"

I said this in another post. The WR were just bunched together and eliminating half the field. Not good routes

Roman is looking more and more like a bust. Great at coaching the running game, but totally un-creative with passing routes, etc. Also, spread the WR's out to open up the running game.

Agree here. I said Taylor will have to lead this team this year for success. He did the opposite of that Sunday. To me the seam was wide open and probably would of went for 6 cause the safety would of never got back in time. You can't progress as a QB until you can see the whole field. Let's see what he does Thursday night. He doesn't improve big time it's fat lady boys.

I'm with you. TT shocked me in the fact that he continued to stare down WR's and totally lacked anticipation on any of his throws. After the game I flipped over to the Raiders v. Saints. Carr looked light-years ahead of TT.

If you go back to the 49ers teams with Roman as OC and see that the Niners had one of the very best offensive lines in the league with a power type bruising RB and still had difficulty running the ball at times.

He was OC from 2011-2014. Gore had over 1,100 yards rushing in each of those seasons.

I can't help but figure that the majority of people who looking for answers to the offense's woes that go beyond the quarterback's blatant incompetence Sunday are the same people who insisted injuries had nothing to do with Rex's defense taking a step back in 2015...

Occam's Razor, folks.

So, are you ready to go with EJ? Btw, was it EJ's fault when he lost most of his starts or did other factors weigh in, other than the fact that he sucks?

The defense looked pretty good on Sunday, but Ryan is the same bad coach. The penalties are just sickening. There is no accountability on this team. If you don't believe me, just ask the weed smokers who were suspended.

So, are you ready to go with EJ? Btw, was it EJ's fault when he lost most of his starts or did other factors weigh in, other than the fact that he sucks?

The defense looked pretty good on Sunday, but Ryan is the same bad coach. The penalties are just sickening. There is no accountability on this team. If you don't believe me, just ask the weed smokers who were suspended.

I'll ask the ones who got suspended from the Steelers too. And also the ones from the Pats taking PED's. Enough with that crap, they're grown men, most of them millionaires. It's not Rex's job (or any HC's job, for that matter) to babysit them 24/7. That argument is specious, at best.

And, no, I'm not ready to go with EJ. In fact, I think that since we were all so stunned by how poorly Tyrod played that he'll bounce back. But if he doesn't, if the tape on him is assuredly out and he can't overcome, then yes, he should be done. Hell, by that point the season might be so far out of hand that it might even be worth it to see what you have in Cardale. May be.

But, yes. It absolutely was EJ's fault when he lost most of his starts. Are people seriously still making excuses for him?

Finally, the penalties Sunday were by and large inconsequential or questionable. Every team gets penalized. Let's not pretend like penalties made the difference. I don't care how fair you want to be to Tyrod.

Their red zone percentages were 30th, 15th, 15th, and then 29th for his four years out by the bay. Not very good.

Roman as an overall OC is a fair question - his ability to generate an effective run game is not.

To be fair Big Cat is not arguing for EJ. He is just saying the offense sucked on Sunday and Tyrod was the biggest reason for that.

I agree with him (still disagree about last season but he is spot on for Sunday).

I disagree with Big Cat saying it might be time to see Cardale at some stage this year. I think we have such a big decision to make on Taylor come the end of the season we need as much information as possible.

Now fast forward to Buffalo and look at that right side of the Bills line to see that it stinks with sub-average players and even worse backup players. Then Glenn was replaced by Cujo in the second quarter as his ankle went bad again. As good as Shady McCoy is he can't out juke a stacked box and without a deep passing threat to open up the run lanes it makes it difficult for any young QB to throw when the opposing team is attempting to make them throw.

From what I saw is that the offensive line really wasn't as bad as the game showed in pass blocking as Tyrod had plenty of time to throw at times and chose to quickly dump it off to a covered McCoy. The Bills have Goodwin and should at least attempt to throw to him a few times in the first quarter to put the fear of god in the DB's to open up that run game.

But yea, if the Bills can't get that run game going it will be another long game for them on Thursday.

Ravens removed the deep threat by having safeties play 30 yards from the los and rolling to the sideline where Trod throws.

They are just going to have to start hitting the deep/intermediate middle. If it's all they practice all day, everyday until they can connect with eyes closed.

Occam's Razor, folks.

Well we're on the topic of simple explanations being testable...

Faced with a similar slew of roster gaps... suspensions, IRs, inactives, and limited snaps for key personnel, the Wrecks supporters were out in droves pointing out how dominant of a defensive performance it was... This is with AW limited, Dareus out, Ragland out, Lawson out, mario bradham and manny gone...

So then if that's the case, tell me how injuries could have been the excuse then, if the result was so different now... Eh?

Well we're on the topic of simple explanations being testable...

Faced with a similar slew of roster gaps... suspensions, IRs, inactives, and limited snaps for key personnel, the Wrecks supporters were out in droves pointing out how dominant of a defensive performance it was... This is with AW limited, Dareus out, Ragland out, Lawson out, mario bradham and manny gone...

So then if that's the case, tell me how injuries could have been the excuse then, if the result was so different now... Eh?

Why am I being asked to justify an argument nobody ever made?

Watch the horrible play calls, by Greg Roman. Last year he did it too. He doesn't know how to utilize Watkins. Plus I think Salas was thrown to once, but it was a bad pass. They need to get him more involved to take some pressure off Watkins and/or Woods. Idk why there's so much failure other than play calling.

Just working through the offensive All-22. Tyrod missed 5-6 really easy window throws because he lacks anticipation over the MOF.

Guys were open, he just wouldn't let it go. Took a good 150 yards off the board himself.

And that, IMO, is unacceptable. You have to be willing to risk interceptions to take ownership of the middle of the field. DO IT.

I'd rather have you go down to defeat valiantly than like a kitty.

it is not unreasonable to assume that he would have had a better showing if Sammy was healthy.

We all know that Sammy is a good player, and wr is a problem if they were all healthy.

Woods imo has morphed into a strange player. I saw him throw a nice block yesterday but he looked like his balance was off on other plays. Almost like he was intox, falling around, etc. And with teams forced to double Watkins, one would think he would be open more than he appears to be.

If Sammy is out for any length of time, this could very well be a top 5 team in the 2017 draft. Hopefully by then, Whaley will not have given away the rest of our picks.

Ive never in my life seen a WR (Woods) fall or trip so often in games. Its like he plays drunk every game. Makes a catch, falls to the ground. Running a route...falls to the ground. This guy must have the worst equilibrium I have ever seen on a professional football field.

I think the bigger issue was the OL, definitely more so than Sammy's health. Tyrod was getting no time, and when he did have time it was like he didn't believe he had time. It was like he would hike the ball with no confidence the plays could develop.

The OL is a big big concern right now. Suspensions, injuries, inconsistencies...none of it bodes well going into this weeks game with a PUNISHING, and probably the most punishing DL in football against the Jets. If we can get Taylor some time (which looks like a losing battle going into the game) then that secondary can be beaten. But without time, I fear it will be another poor offensive effort.

Just working through the offensive All-22. Tyrod missed 5-6 really easy window throws because he lacks anticipation over the MOF.

Guys were open, he just wouldn't let it go. Took a good 150 yards off the board himself.

That is what I saw too. But I watched it 3 beers down lying by a pool in Alicante so..... you may want to take with a pinch of salt.

And that, IMO, is unacceptable. You have to be willing to risk interceptions to take ownership of the middle of the field. DO IT.

I'd rather have you go down to defeat valiantly than like a kitty.

Not even risky throws, either. We're talking NFL wide open throws. One to Sammy, he's looking right at it as he comes open past the defender. It's 20 easy yards, threw to Woods for about 5.

I'm willing to put 70-80% of the blame for that game on his shoulders. Roman called enough good to win the game. The line held up better than I thought watching it live. Pressures resulted from Tyrod holding it forever for the most part.

Not even risky throws, either. We're talking NFL wide open throws. One to Sammy, he's looking right at it as he comes open past the defender. It's 20 easy yards, threw to Woods for about 5.

I'm willing to put 70-80% of the blame for that game on his shoulders. Roman called enough good to win the game. The line held up better than I thought watching it live. Pressures resulted from Tyrod holding it forever for the most part.

And if they hit those throws early on, the pressure backs off and it's a whole different game.

I'm very, very concerned about this QB.

Hate to say it, but Jimmy G looked like an All-Pro in comparison.

That simply isn't true.

In 2013 against the Seahawks week two, Frank Gore 9 rushes for 16 yards. It certainly was in 2014 against the Seahawks, Raiders, Cardinals among others.

I'm sure I could find other games over the years in which the 49ers run game faltered and the QB was then forced to attempt to carry the game with his arm.

And if they hit those throws early on, the pressure backs off and it's a whole different game.

I'm very, very concerned about this QB.

For now, it's just a bad game. I'm more interested in how he responds. Thursday will tell us a lot about what we've got at QB.

Pressure with the home opener against a magnificent defensive line. Could be without starting LT too.

Amen.

+2

In 2013 against the Seahawks week two, Frank Gore 9 rushes for 16 yards. It certainly was in 2014 against the Seahawks, Raiders, Cardinals among others.

I'm sure I could find other games over the years in which the 49ers run game faltered and the QB was then forced to attempt to carry the game with his arm.

Sure individual games, yes. But over the course of seasons he has ALWAYS produced productive run games.

For now, it's just a bad game. I'm more interested in how he responds. Thursday will tell us a lot about what we've got at QB.

Pressure with the home opener against a magnificent defensive line. Could be without starting LT too.

Not a good sign after hearing about how much progress he had made in the offseason. Beyond that he didn't demonstrate the previous accuracy, big play ability with his legs, or the willingness to throw the deep ball. I hope last Sunday was the exception to what we'll see this season.

I'll ask the ones who got suspended from the Steelers too. And also the ones from the Pats taking PED's. Enough with that crap, they're grown men, most of them millionaires. It's not Rex's job (or any HC's job, for that matter) to babysit them 24/7. That argument is specious, at best.

And, no, I'm not ready to go with EJ. In fact, I think that since we were all so stunned by how poorly Tyrod played that he'll bounce back. But if he doesn't, if the tape on him is assuredly out and he can't overcome, then yes, he should be done. Hell, by that point the season might be so far out of hand that it might even be worth it to see what you have in Cardale. May be.

But, yes. It absolutely was EJ's fault when he lost most of his starts. Are people seriously still making excuses for him?

Finally, the penalties Sunday were by and large inconsequential or questionable. Every team gets penalized. Let's not pretend like penalties made the difference. I don't care how fair you want to be to Tyrod.

This imo is a good discussion. Thank you.

There certainly are many here who want EJ in there. It's not that unusual. It is VERY hard for some fans (and I think that you know this) to come to grips with the fact that a first round draft choice on your team sucks.

As for the penalties, let me ask you this: If Alabama had 4 penalties on special teams alone, how do you think Saban would react? Well, he coaches college kids. You are right, these ARE grown men. Is there really an excuse for this?

I don't understand how you see any advantage of having Rex on this team, let alone Whaley and Brandon, both of whom might be worse.I think that Brandon brought in Rex as a money making blowhard. I really would like to know what you like about any and all of them, but no charts please. :)

And btw, I'm not a fan of Cowherd, but is he wrong?

It will be interesting to see how TT responds to this game with his performance on Thursday night. No one knows TT's weaknesses better that John Harbaugh. You can bet upcoming opponents will try to dish out more of the same that the Ravens D succeeded with. That means the OLine and RBs as well as Taylor. It doesn't appear that the WRs had a lot of difficulty getting open. The problems were Taylor and then the protection.

Ive never in my life seen a WR (Woods) fall or trip so often in games. Its like he plays drunk every game. Makes a catch, falls to the ground. Running a route...falls to the ground. This guy must have the worst equilibrium I have ever seen on a professional football field.

I think the bigger issue was the OL, definitely more so than Sammy's health. Tyrod was getting no time, and when he did have time it was like he didn't believe he had time. It was like he would hike the ball with no confidence the plays could develop.

The OL is a big big concern right now. Suspensions, injuries, inconsistencies...none of it bodes well going into this weeks game with a PUNISHING, and probably the most punishing DL in football against the Jets. If we can get Taylor some time (which looks like a losing battle going into the game) then that secondary can be beaten. But without time, I fear it will be another poor offensive effort.

I fully agree and I hate to say it but a lot of the pressure was coming from Incog's side. He really got beat up on a few plays that I saw. I didn't think the OL was great but I certainly thought it was better than that.

And I'm glad that you noticed what I did with Woods. I still don't understand what was going on with the way he kept falling down.

I wouldn't touch Saban with a ten foot poll. He is so set in his ways dealing with college KIDS, that I think he would be out of touch dealing with established vets after so many years at Alabama. Not to mention his age.

I'll pass, and I think so would he. He has the world by the balls at Alabama. Boosters lapping up his every word, recruits tripping over each other to sign there, perennial powerhouse, etc...

He'd be nuts to even give it 5 seconds of consideration.

I wouldn't touch Saban with a ten foot poll. He is so set in his ways dealing with college KIDS, that I think he would be out of touch dealing with established vets after so many years at Alabama. Not to mention his age.

I'll pass, and I think so would he. He has the world by the balls at Alabama. Boosters lapping up his every word, recruits tripping over each other to sign there, perennial powerhouse, etc...

He'd be nuts to even give it 5 seconds of consideration.

Agreed. And I LOVE Nick Saban. Bad idea for an NFL team, and bad idea for Saban.

At almost 65, how many years do you really think youd get out of him? Is 3 enough?

3 is plenty. The truth is I doubt if he would take 10 mil these days. Maybe 12, and I'm not even sure about that.

If (which I doubt) he would sign with the Bills, it wouldn't cost much. They could fire Rex AND Whaley. There is no way Whaley could tell Saban what to do in any situation, ever.

Watch the horrible play calls, by Greg Roman. Last year he did it too. He doesn't know how to utilize Watkins. Plus I think Salas was thrown to once, but it was a bad pass. They need to get him more involved to take some pressure off Watkins and/or Woods. Idk why there's so much failure other than play calling.

Maybe it's Tyrod not making the correct reads and checking down to often. Do you know what the play calls were? I didn't think so.