Kaepernick and the National Anthem

I just spend the evening with a friend who was in 10th Mountain during Black Hawk Down. I was talking to him about this thread and he can't believe how many people under appreciate what he went through.

Nothing in this thread has a damn thing to do with what he went through, much less the supposed " under appreciation" of same.

If the Niners were playing a preseason game in Canada or Mexico, would Kap stand for their anthems? Don't Olympic athletes stand respectfully for other countries' anthems, even if those other countries (you name it: Russia, Kenya, etc.) have far worse human rights records than the USA? In other words, I don't care if you quietly mouth the words to the anthem or not. I don't even care if you put your hand over your heart. But please, just stand there quietly and respectfully, ball cap off, just as you would for someone else's anthem. Trust me, no one will confuse your respectful silence with tacit approval of the policies of Chicago/Ferguson/Milwaukee police forces.

We stand up and boo him.

No, every time he's on the field we should chant "USA"!

Have all the Bills players run out on the field carrying USA flags.

Change the logo on the helmet to the USA flag, just for that game.

That would be fun, wouldn't it?

Look at what is happening in Europe, there has been a huge Muslim migration and there has been some severe backlash, it's not just in Britain or France but throughout the Scandinavian countries as well. To be honest, it's not just because there are bigoted forces working against many Muslims who have moved to Europe, but also because many Muslims refuse to integrate themselves to western culture.

Sorry - what "severe backlash" do you think there has been in Britain?

Sorry - what "severe backlash" do you think there has been in Britain?

For starters, BREXIT was inspired by a number of factors, one of them being what many people view to be too much Muslim migration to Britain.

As I've stated earlier in this thread, fear is a powerful motivation. Demagogic politicians leverage that fear to attempt to force policy and unfortunately, the media is often complicit with those attempts.

It's such a BS statement. I'm sorry some people have been oppressed, but not by me or my family. I raise my children to be respectful of everyone as well as I do myself.

This is a country with problems, but none better. We love free and have every opportunity. If you want to succeed, it's up to you and only you can determine what is success.

Francis Scott Keys woulda put Kaep on a boat pointed toward Africa. No sh**. He was a staunch anti-abolitionist (complicated guy though).

Some interesting and rather ironic history about Francis Scott Key that I never knew about: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/wheres-debate-francis-scott-keys-slave-holding-legacy-180959550/?no-ist

Cq47ei8XYAAxs6o.jpg

For starters, BREXIT was inspired by a number of factors, one of them being what many people view to be too much Muslim migration to Britain.

As I've stated earlier in this thread, fear is a powerful motivation. Demagogic politicians leverage that fear to attempt to force policy and unfortunately, the media is often complicit with those attempts.

Okay so 1 - BREXIT is not a "severe backlash"

And 2 - The only immigration that BREXIT will allow the UK to restrict that we didn't have the power to restrict previously is EU migration mainly from Eastern Europe (the overwhelming majority of whom are most definitely not muslim).

Immigration played a part in the BREXIT vote without question, but it was about nationality and national identity far more than specifically about race or religion.

I'm amazed at how many people care........seriously, when its played on the tv do you stand at home for it? or is it time to check on the food or get another beer. Thought so.

I sing along. Seriously your anthem is cool. You could be signing about a batty old lady living in any one of a number of huge taxpayer funded mansions. I'll take singing about a flag over that any day.

Okay so 1 - BREXIT is not a "severe backlash"

And 2 - The only immigration that BREXIT will allow the UK to restrict that we didn't have the power to restrict previously is EU migration mainly from Eastern Europe (the overwhelming majority of whom are most definitely not muslim).

Immigration played a part in the BREXIT vote without question, but it was about nationality and national identity far more than specifically about race or religion.

You may not call it "severe" but I believe that the effects of BREXIT if it were to go through (which it won't) would be severe. So you and I can agree to disagree on that front.

In regards to your second point, that is besides the point, we aren't discussing the merits of these peoples fear just that their fear exists and that fear had a measurable impact on the outcome of the BREXIT vote.

And to your last point, you may be right or you may not, the point is that it did play a role.

Edited by Magox

BREXIT in some form will happen. The effects will not be severe. Indeed the whole problem with the remain campaign was it was run as a campaign of fear rather than as a campaign about a positive future within the European Union.

The EU as we know it is essentially finished though. Britain was just the first brick in the wall. And it is not because of free movement of people either it is because the centre ground political movement on which the EU was founded where most states had essentially 2 party systems (a centre left and a centre right) has broken down. Right across Europe countries are finding that their politics is now multi-party representation from across the political spectrum. There is little doubt that the EU has become, as a result, undemocratic.

And I say all that as a remain voter.

Edited by GunnerBill