Kaepernick and the National Anthem

BREXIT in some form will happen. The effects will not be severe. Indeed the whole problem with the remain campaign was it was run as a campaign of fear rather than as a campaign about a positive future within the European Union.

The EU as we know it is essentially finished though. Britain was just the first brick in the wall. And it is not because of free movement of people either it is because the centre ground political movement on which the EU was founded where most states had essentially 2 party systems (a centre left and a centre right) has broken down. Right across Europe countries are finding that their politics is now multi-party representation from across the political spectrum. There is little doubt that the EU has become, as a result, undemocratic.

And I say all that as a remain voter.

It's an interesting topic, one that I have many views on and how it is interrelated with what we are seeing not just throughout Europe but now in the U.S as well.

I like that Kap is doing this peacefully and that should be encouraged more than anything. I'm tired of seeing the burning of innocent people's property over these shootings. I would rather see sit ins than violent street protests.

I also find it frustrating that wade's cousin gets killed. Two gang members shooting her by mistake and all the media talks about is Trump pandering to get the black vote. No talk of her or wade or the problems gang violence across the country.

I

This thread is gonna have as many pages as the Shady thread, which coincidentially was about a black NFL'er stomping on cops.

That was in the name of Dom Perignon, but this one is almost as dumb.

I stopped trying to make substantive contributions when I realized some people are just doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNkjDuSVXiE

(Monty Python - Argument Clinic)

This is another way of saying " live and let live."

No, it's not.

I couldn't disagree more with Kaepernick here but I'd honestly rather see a person do something like this if he truly feels strongly about an issue than do nothing. As dumb and disrespectful as I think a public figure intentionally sitting for the national anthem is - at least he's passionate enough about what he perceives to be an injustice to make a sacrifice for a cause.

To me, that's much more admirable than those who agree with what he's doing, yet won't do the same - not because they respect all of the patriots who have defended our freedom and made sacrifices that has led us closer to equality (what the flag symbolizes) but because it would put a dent in their bank accounts.

I helped defend this country by serving eight years in the Marines. I find not standing for the national anthem to be very disrespectful.

What have you done for our country besides run your mouth?

I served as a Marine for 5 years. I have a different take. While I personally feel differently about the anthem than he does I respect his right to express himself anyway he wants. The freedom I defended gives him the right to sit or stand. Freedom is messy. It's easy to support the things we agree with, it's a lot more difficult to defend those we don't.

Jemele Hill on Mike and Mike on Kaepernick

The flag and the national anthem aren't for black folks.

Guess it's time to get rid of both. Yay for super liberal ESPN.

With regard to the anthem, maybe she's referring to the 3rd verse that hardly anyone knows about:

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,

That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion

A home and a Country should leave us no more?

Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

I

I stopped trying to make substantive contributions when I realized some people are just doing this:

(Monty Python - Argument Clinic)

these conversations on tsw are hard to follow. There is not enough substance to too many arguments nor knowledgeable points to make it worth it. This topic of race and police comes up too often with I'll informed or folks entrenched I'm their beliefs. Some people here still believe trayvon martin did nothing wrong. Some here still believe the cops were out to get OJ.

You cannot have a constructive discussion on TSW of anything outside of football. And that's not even guaranteed.

Nothing in this thread has a damn thing to do with what he went through, much less the supposed " under appreciation" of same.

I didn't write that real well being a little under the influence after seeing the great Robert Cray in concert.

In saying that, you can pound sand.

No, it's not.

I couldn't disagree more with Kaepernick here but I'd honestly rather see a person do something like this if he truly feels strongly about an issue than do nothing. As dumb and disrespectful as I think a public figure intentionally sitting for the national anthem is - at least he's passionate enough about what he perceives to be an injustice to make a sacrifice for a cause.

To me, that's much more admirable than those who agree with what he's doing, yet won't do the same - not because they respect all of the patriots who have defended our freedom and made sacrifices that has led us closer to equality (what the flag symbolizes) but because it would put a dent in their bank accounts.

Depending on perspective (this entire debate is dependent upon this), being apathetic could be construed as not giving a fu@k.

Depending on perspective, live and let live could be construed as not giving a fu@k.

That's all I was saying.

With regard to the anthem, maybe she's referring to the 3rd verse that hardly anyone knows about:

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,

That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion

A home and a Country should leave us no more?

Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Honestly: is that what you think Kaep and the like are protesting, that we still use Francis Scott Key's poem as our anthem? Or do you think it's just as they say: that they're protesting the oppression of folks of color?

Honestly: is that what you think Kaep and the like are protesting, that we still use Francis Scott Key's poem as our anthem? Or do you think it's just as they say: that they're protesting the oppression of folks of color?

It's not what's being protested, but it's good to have historical reference of what is revered and held in such high regard that it stirs emotions at such hypersensitive levels.

I like that Kap is doing this peacefully and that should be encouraged more than anything. I'm tired of seeing the burning of innocent people's property over these shootings. I would rather see sit ins than violent street protests.

I also find it frustrating that wade's cousin gets killed. Two gang members shooting her by mistake and all the media talks about is Trump pandering to get the black vote. No talk of her or wade or the problems gang violence across the country.

Agree. CK would have come off a bit more credible had he included any facts in his presentation.

We no longer worship the same God (if any), hold the same values, hang out at the same places, watch the same entertainment, etc. etc. We barely speak the same language anymore and sure as hell don't share a sense of filial kinship.

At what point in time were these things true?