Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Ummm... which is why we are racist. What do you think when a white guy enters your elevator: Guy. What do you think when a black guy enters your elevator: Black guy.

I truly believe you need to first revisit the definition of racism. Much like Kaep, I think you are overgeneralizing and condemning far more behaviors than you should.

https://www.google.com/#q=racism

rac·ism
ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
  1. the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
    • prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Just because a black guy walks into my elevator and I fleetingly observe the color of his skin doesn't make me racist. Fat, skinny, obnoxious, ugly, gorgeous, strange, psycho, appearance, etc. We all observations and judgements of some kind to the people we meet. Doesn't mean we treat or think of the person negatively. In my lifetime of experiences, African Americans I meet are more likely to make eye contact with me, exchange hellos and have a friendly conversation. Don't know why, just my experiences. Some might wrongly call it a prejudice but it's not, it's just a bias.

Even if a first impresson evokes negative feelings or prejudice, many of us have lived on this earth long enough to realize talking to that person will dispel those negative feelings most of the time. Assumptions cause more trouble than they solve. This is what people truly need to learn.

And you are making a lot of assumptions about people's underlying behavior and overgeneralizing the definition of racism.

Much like Kaep overgeneralizes this great country. If we are to continue moving forward eliminating racism, overgeneralizing and national condemnation has a disengaging effect in addition to being unfocused. I am 46, this country has made enormous strides in my lifetime against racism and there is much more work to be done. But assumptions and generalizations only halt progress.

I truly believe you need to first revisit the definition of racism. Much like Kaep, I think you are overgeneralizing and condemning far more behaviors than you should.

rac·ism

ˈrāˌsizəm/

noun

•  

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

•  

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Just because a black guy walks into my elevator and I fleetingly observe the color of his skin doesn't make me racist. Fat, skinny, obnoxious, ugly, gorgeous, strange, psycho, appearance, etc. We all observations and judgements of some kind to the people we meet. Doesn't mean we treat or think of the person negatively. In my lifetime of experiences, African Americans I meet are more likely to make eye contact with me, exchange hellos and have a friendly conversation. Don't know why, just my experiences. Some might wrongly call it a prejudice but it's not, it's just a bias.

Even if a first impresson evokes negative feelings or prejudice, many of us have lived on this earth long enough to realize talking to that person will dispel those negative feelings most of the time. Assumptions cause more trouble than they solve. This is what people truly need to learn.

And you are making a lot of assumptions about people's underlying behavior and overgeneralizing the definition of racism.

Much like Kaep overgeneralizes this great country. If we are to continue moving forward eliminating racism, overgeneralizing and national condemnation has a disengaging effect in addition to being unfocused. I am 46, this country has made enormous strides in my lifetime against racism and there is much more work to be done. But assumptions and generalizations only halt progress.

There are several definitions and various degrees of what we call racism. It means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. The dictionary definition, at least the two main definitions from most dictionaries, you are right, does not apply in the elevator scenario. I know that and have always known that.

I still don't get why National anthems are played before domestic sporting events in Canada and the USA. The anthems make sense when countries are competing, Olympics, World Cups, CONCACAF soccer tournaments etc... but they make no sense to me when an American football team is playing an American football team. When I was young the anthem was played before movies and before the school day started. That has since stopped. Why do sporting events hold onto to this?

As for the Buffalo Bills 10 - 15K of the fans are from Canada, of the remaining 58K that are likely Americans a great number can't be bothered to remove their hats, stop talking, texting, taking photos, going on beer runs etc... What's the difference between any of this and a guy sitting down? I don't see widespread respect of the anthem from fans black, white or otherwise at games. Many just endure the anthem and wait for it to be over, or perhaps to hope for a fly over. I'd like to see the anthem playing stopped at domestic sporting events.

There are several definitions and various degrees of what we call racism. It means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. The dictionary definition, at least the two main definitions from most dictionaries, you are right, does not apply in the elevator scenario. I know that and have always known that.

I make a distinction between prejudice (thought) and racism that puts prejudices into action to harm a person or group of people.

rac·ism
ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
  1. the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
    • prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

I think dictionary definitions can be too limiting at times. For instance, is the inclusion or exclusion of an individual because of his race considered racism? Because that isn't considered in the definition above, which seems to only point to the aspects of superiority and inferiority in its description.

I still don't get why National anthems are played before domestic sporting events in Canada and the USA. The anthems make sense when countries are competing, Olympics, World Cups, CONCACAF soccer tournaments etc... but they make no sense to me when an American football team is playing an American football team. When I was young the anthem was played before movies and before the school day started. That has since stopped. Why do sporting events hold onto to this?

As for the Buffalo Bills 10 - 15K of the fans are from Canada, of the remaining 58K that are likely Americans a great number can't be bothered to remove their hats, stop talking, texting, taking photos, going on beer runs etc... What's the difference between any of this and a guy sitting down? I don't see widespread respect of the anthem from fans black, white or otherwise at games. Many just endure the anthem and wait for it to be over, or perhaps to hope for a fly over. I'd like to see the anthem playing stopped at domestic sporting events.

Agreed. Stadiums should all play that "We Fight For The Right To Party!" song instead.

I make a distinction between prejudice (thought) and racism that puts prejudices into action to harm a person or group of people.

That's a good way of looking at it. Although my stance is that the thought, and the talking about it, even like we are doing here, often further expands a lot of the soft racism that I personally think is so dangerous. People get more angry and further entrench their (what I consider to be) racist angle.

Agreed. Stadiums should all play that "We Fight For The Right To Party!" song instead.

Agreed. I've seen more blatant displays of disrespect for the anthem at events over the years than anything CK did by simply sitting down. Especially in light of what the song truly is, which is a solemn tribute to our military. The LAST place it should be played is in a stadium full of raucous people NOT assembled for the purpose of honoring that solemnity in the first place. Makes little sense really and I question the sincerity of it.

I don't know what you see, but I see most people standing up. Quite a few appreciate it. Not to mention the Oh Canada anthem is sung at some events such as the Sabres games.

1384740178000-USATSI-7561136.jpg

Edited by What a Tuel

Agreed. I've seen more blatant displays of disrespect for the anthem at events over the years than anything CK did by simply sitting down. Especially in light of what the song truly is, which is a solemn tribute to our military. The LAST place it should be played is in a stadium full of raucous people NOT assembled for the purpose of honoring that solemnity in the first place. Makes little sense really and I question the sincerity of it.

A War of 1812 tribute.

Some certainly do appreciate it, some sing, some cover their hearts, but that doesn't mean it belongs at domestic sporting events. Every game I hear 'take your hat off !@#$' being yelled at other fans, I see people far more caught up in their cell phones, beer etc.. I don't think faking respect for the anthem beats sitting down for it. And there sure have been some great moments where Canadian/American fans have sung the anthems when the speaker systems have failed in arenas, but you're introducing a situation with two anthems and two different countries* not the same as an NFL game.

*hockey games between Toronto and Buffalo involved in the same league, representing two cities, not countries, but I get your point.

I don't know what you see, but I see most people standing up. Quite a few appreciate it. Not to mention the Oh Canada anthem is sung at some events such as the Sabres games.

1384740178000-USATSI-7561136.jpg

Critical race theory...from which this numbskull kaepernick derives his definition...is bull ****.

I'm all for free speech and expressing yourself but honestly this is just a sign of the times. Race card gets played all the time, whenever possible.

Is there issues? Yes certainly.

Funny thing is my first encounter with racism was being called a slur for white people and not the other way around, and I was a kid.

The part that is wrong to me, is that the people and governments pay for these ridiculous stadiums, every time a team threatens. Which makes the owners a ton of money, which in turn allows the players to make tons of money.

He has aright to make a statement, but it's a slap in the face the country as a whole. People have lost class.

They're too busy ignoring everything that's going on in our country that people have sacrificed their lives for just so they can have their comfortable day to day lives, while we lose our freedoms and the politicians line their pockets. Because "I don't care about the national anthem" type of attitude, "I'm too busy having to go to home depot" culture we have now. And then get blinded by the distractions fueled by media every night.

Instead of not standing up why doesn't he really do something with all those millions he made and really make a difference in the country that made him successful and rich at the sacrifice of people that did care. He has a charity for birth defects. Good for him. If this was such an issue, why doesn't he do something for this?

How many millions has he given to make equality more attainable?

And how about examples like Dwayne Wade's sister who got shot in Chicago for no reason. Let's not talk about that. That must be the government / country doing that. Let's ignore us killing each other and all other types of people, such a double standard.

The biggest problem is the culture that perpetuates the ignorance, tries to take advantage of it, and instead of improving and working hard, cries racism instead when things don't go their way.

I didn't get any scholarships cause I wasn't a minority, even though i had one parent and was dirt poor. I got passed up for jobs I scored higher on tests because of my skin color. I bought my school clothes at the salvation army. I got harassed by law enforcement when i was up to no good.

Give me a break.

Race card gets played all the time

I didn't get any scholarships cause I wasn't a minority, even though i had one parent and was dirt poor. I got passed up for jobs I scored higher on tests because of my skin color.

Hmm, it seems to me YOU are the one "playing the race card", Mr Sharky.