Kaepernick and the National Anthem

I did not say I agreed or disagreed with Kaep on the underlying issue. Frankly, I haven't studied it that closely and I think there are plenty of other issues he perhaps should have chosen to take a stand on. To me, what's important is that he has taken a principled public stance on a highly controversial issue, without regard to the personal consequences to himself. Contrast that with OJ, for example...

Maybe if he had taken this same stand while he was an NFL starter, it would have been taken more seriously.

The attached link is the same link that I used in a previous response to this topic. I respectfully but strenuously disagree with you that all communities are treated the same by the police. The Department of Justice recently did an extensive investigation of the Baltimore Police Department. Their condemning conclusions can be found in the link. This is the type of police behavior that CK was addressing with his controversial stance when the National Anthem was played.

http://www.vox.com/2...partment-report

I don't consider the Department of Justice from other either side of the aisle's administration to be neutral arbiters. Anyone who keeps up with politics knows it's another extension of the partisan politics of the presidency.

CK has said that he will continue his silent protest until a change is made

So he's basically going to sit on the bench during the National Anthem before the game in preparation for his game time activity of sitting on the bench

A 16 week sit in.

The NFL does not guarantee freedom of speech. Kep was fined in 2014 for allegedly calling another player an f'n n- on the field.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/colin-kaepernick-49ers-refs-racial-slur-bears-loss-fine-092114

Unless the NFL has specific conduct policies in place relating to the national anthem, CK's protest is very much protected by his 1st Amendment right. The use of racial epithets on the field is actually against the rules and is a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty.

its mind numbing that people feel they must say so much because someone else said something they disagree with. ignore it. kaep can have his opinion. its cute, he can think what he wants and bring attention to whatever he wants to try. let him say it. let it fall upon deaf ears, let the masses hear it. either way, it does not affect any of us, does it?

its mind numbing that people feel they must say so much because someone else said something they disagree with. ignore it. kaep can have his opinion. its cute, he can think what he wants and bring attention to whatever he wants to try. let him say it. let it fall upon deaf ears, let the masses hear it. either way, it does not affect any of us, does it?

I'm OK with this.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if those who say Kaep is an insignificant voice are among the most vociferous in their criticism of him. Love the irony.

How much was a Colin Kapernick type guy worth when the National Anthem was written? Probably less than a normal guy his stature would fetch. He's very uppity.

I see what you did there and I can appreciate it.

Looking at the NFL calendar it just occurred to me that when he pulls his publicity stunt on opening day, he will be doing it on September 11th

And you thought the sh*t hit the fan for a preseason game

*Edit, nevermind. Didn't see that the 49ers play on Monday the 12th

Edited by /dev/null

They will never ever acknowledge this.

There is no statistical bias in police shootings of black people. Zero. None.

Cops killed nearly twice as many whites as blacks in 2015. According to data compiled by The Washington Post, 50 percent of the victims of fatal police shootings were white, while 26 percent were black. The majority of these victims had a gun or "were armed or otherwise threatening the officer with potentially lethal force," according to Mac Donald in a speech at Hillsdale College.

Some may argue that these statistics are evidence of racist treatment toward blacks, since whites consist of 62 percent of the population and blacks make up 13 percent of the population. But as Mac Donald writes in The Wall Street Journal, 2009 statistics from the Bureau of Justice Statistics reveal that blacks were charged with 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the 75 biggest counties in the country, despite only comprising roughly 15 percent of the population in these counties.

Even if we take each case apart like the media is doing, there is no concerted effort to kill blacks by police. There just isn't. It's tin foil hat time when we dig up anecdotal cases and say "well there was a good shot that these 2 cops would've made it out just fine without shooting the guy that was wrestling with them, so they must hate black people and want to murder them"

As for CK's answers to his questions? Well he is still an idiot. For instance:

Q: What would you like to see changed?

-KAEPERNICK: There’s a lot of things that need to change. One specifically is police brutality, there’s people being murdered unjustly and not being held accountable.

The cops are getting paid leave for killing people. That’s not right. That’s not right by anyone’s standards.

He takes issue with paid leave. Paid leave because the investigation isn't complete, and they were in the line of duty you nitwit. We think police officers should be incarcerated after every time they fire their gun now? Just in case? Wait until the facts are out and the investigation is complete.

Edited by What a Tuel

They will never ever acknowledge this.

There is no statistical bias in police shootings of black people. Zero. None.

Cops killed nearly twice as many whites as blacks in 2015. According to data compiled by The Washington Post, 50 percent of the victims of fatal police shootings were white, while 26 percent were black. The majority of these victims had a gun or "were armed or otherwise threatening the officer with potentially lethal force," according to Mac Donald in a speech at Hillsdale College.

Some may argue that these statistics are evidence of racist treatment toward blacks, since whites consist of 62 percent of the population and blacks make up 13 percent of the population. But as Mac Donald writes in The Wall Street Journal, 2009 statistics from the Bureau of Justice Statistics reveal that blacks were charged with 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the 75 biggest counties in the country, despite only comprising roughly 15 percent of the population in these counties.

Hmmm. It's so simple. Black people are just whiners. Violent whiners! I love when statistics tell the whole story!

Black culture has such a rich history here in America. I don't know why they couldn't build on it. Also i can tell from your numbers that they're just violent. Why are they committing so many crimes? When are they going to stop? They're so lucky to be in the United States of America. Their families immigrated here for a reason.

It's like- just stop selling drugs and committing crimes. I have never seen a Mcdonalds that wasn't hiring. Also if you wan't more, just take advantage of the rich educational system in populous black areas. If you really want to learn it doesn't matter if you get your education in a dangerous hell hole; just do it! It's not easy for the kids in the suburbs either. You think cutting the lawn and taking out the dog is easy?! PUHHLEASEEE.

Here's some unrelated numbers i found.

Among racial and ethnic groups, African Americans had the highest poverty rate,27.4 percent, followed by Hispanics at 26.6 percent and whites at 9.9 percent. 45.8 percent of young black children (under age 6) live in poverty, compared to 14.5 percent of white children.

This probably isn't related to the higher rates of crimes committed by black males. Since when did poverty and crime ever go hand in hand?

Edited by Billschinatown