Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Funny how this dirt-bag is whining about African Americans being oppressed when the vast majority of players in the NFL are African Americans earning more than 10x what the average American earns.

He needs a bit of a reality check.

I say - Send the bastard to Afghanistan without a parachute. See how he gets treated there.

Funny how this dirt-bag is whining about African Americans being oppressed when the vast majority of players in the NFL are African Americans earning more than 10x what the average American earns.

I say - Send the bastard to Afghanistan without a parachute. See how he gets treated there.

Expressing his protected rights as an American makes him a dirtbag?

So because an extreme minority of black Americans make millions playing football, every other black person screaming about oppression "needs a reality check".

Some of these outbursts are highly entertaining. :lol:

So because an extreme minority of black Americans make millions playing football, every other black person screaming about oppression "needs a reality check".

Some of these outbursts are highly entertaining. :lol:

To be fair, is it any different than an extreme minority of police that unjustly harm minorities somehow being representative of the whole?

Both are wrong.

Expressing his protected rights as an American makes him a dirtbag?

Disrespecting a symbol that means a lot to many americans makes him a dirtbag.

Disrespecting a symbol of a country that allowed him to experience wealth that NONE of his ancestors could have dreamed of makes him a dirtbag.

He has the right to say or do what he wants. But he has no right to emotional protection from the response he deserves.

Then please explain to me how the United States of America, led by a black man, oppresses black people and people of color.

What is it this country is specifically doing?

I think the first thing that you have to be aware of is that oppression isn't always smack dab in your face. Secondly I think that in order to understand how oppression works we need to first understand the definition.

Oppression

1. 1 a : unjust or cruel exercise of authority or power
  2. 1b : something that oppresses especially in being an unjust or excessive exercise of power
  3. 2 : a sense of being weighed down in body or mind

I'm black but even It's not as cut and even I understand that it's not as noticeable as we think. You won't understand how it works unless you live in an area where unjust treatment is so blatantly in your face that you cannot ignore it. Here's a couple video's from an ex-cop who I really think conveys the facts of what goes on daily in certain areas.

https://youtu.be/OPzCodDwvKc

https://youtu.be/_rJ4KVVfIaE

Now keep in mind, what I think he did was wrong. Not for the fact that he wanted to make an impact but by how he did it. I've never heard of Colin Kaepernick going to inner city, impoverished neighborhoods and helping out. Talking/donating to schools, working with habitat for humanity or anything. Now that he's losing his job and falling from grace he wants to pull out the card? Nahh it doesn't work like that.

Edited by Jawn Legend

To be fair, is it any different than an extreme minority of police that unjustly harm minorities somehow being representative of the whole?

Both are wrong.

Sure but no one is making that argument -- not seriously. That's how it's being twisted. There's a lot of reduction to the absurd happening in this thread.

Love it.. I want to see more people protest what this country is becoming..To me its about wallstreet abuse and the politicians who kowtow to it..Way to much money pouring into politics and way to many people unwilling to stand up to it but would rather whine about all the other BS

You want to see more people protest a ceremony meant to honor those who have fought and died and made sacrifices for our freedom and endeavors toward equality?

That's messed up.

Disrespecting a symbol of a country that allowed him to experience wealth that NONE of his ancestors could have dreamed of makes him a dirtbag.

He has the right to say or do what he wants. But he has no right to emotional protection from the response he deserves.

A principled stand on behalf of other people who do not have a major platform to call attention to issues of importance now makes someone a dirtbag.

Unreal!

You want to see more people protest a ceremony meant to honor those who have fought and died and made sacrifices for our freedom and endeavors toward equality?

That's messed up.

Protesting the flag, or the country, or the government, or the police is not the same as disrespecting vets. That's just not a thing.

He's not a dirtbag. He's misguided. And he shouldn't be vilified for being misguided.

A principled stand on behalf of other people who do not have a major platform to call attention to issues of importance now makes someone a dirtbag.

Unreal!

Oh no. It's very real. I, among others here have served the country represented by that flag.

Not two years ago, he called someone a n*gger on the field, and now he's principled enough to stand up against "racism?" Sorry if I don't buy it. It was juvenile...and coming from him, hypocritical.

That's messed up.

Kapernick specifically said that he was not protesting them. Very apparent you did not listen to or read what he said in his media interview yesterday.

Sure but no one is making that argument -- not seriously. That's how it's being twisted. There's a lot of reduction to the absurd happening in this thread.

I waas referring to Kaep.

His exact words:

“This is what lynchings look like in 2016!” he wrote on Instagram accompanying a video of Sterling’s shooing. “Another murder in the streets because the color of a man’s skin, at the hands of the people who they say will protect us. When will they be held accountable? Or did he fear for his life as he executed this man?”

"There’s a lot of things that need to change. One specifically is police brutality, there’s people being murdered unjustly and not being held accountable.

The cops are getting paid leave for killing people. That’s not right. That’s not right by anyone’s standards."

That sounds an awful lot like generalization to me.

Edited by thebandit27

Oh no. It's very real. I, among others here have served the country represented by that flag.

Not two years ago, he called someone a n*gger on the field, and now he's principled enough to stand up against "racism?" Sorry if I don't buy it. It was juvenile...and coming from him, hypocritical.

Your response seem to lack the understanding of the freedoms you served and fought for.

Your response seem to lack the understanding of the freedoms you served and fought for.

As i said before...he has the right to say/do what he wants. But he has no right to protection from humiliation when he's called out about it.

Real life has no "safe spaces."

Protesting the flag, or the country, or the government, or the police is not the same as disrespecting vets. That's just not a thing.

Why are you lumping all of those things together? Focus on the topic at hand. Protesting the national anthem is absolutely disrespectful not only of vets but of all American patriots (Tubman, MLK, Robinson, Ali, Parks, etc.) who have made sacrifices while striving toward equality.

I waas referring to Kaep.

His exact words:

“This is what lynchings look like in 2016!” he wrote on Instagram accompanying a video of Sterling’s shooing. “Another murder in the streets because the color of a man’s skin, at the hands of the people who they say will protect us. When will they be held accountable? Or did he fear for his life as he executed this man?”

"There’s a lot of things that need to change. One specifically is police brutality, there’s people being murdered unjustly and not being held accountable.

The cops are getting paid leave for killing people. That’s not right. That’s not right by anyone’s standards."

That sounds an awful lot like generalization to me.

But he didn't generalize in those quotes -- he was talking about specific incidents. And at no time did he say all cops are bad and out to kill black people. NO ONE is arguing that outside of a select few extremists in certain movements who, more than likely, are paid to incite that sort of rhetoric by folks who want to stir up racial unrest in this country.