Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Such a savvy debator.

You know what else was wrong and illegal at one time too? Women voting.

I know Gregg will see this so I'll go with here.

First, sarcasm on the feelings Gregg. Common man.

The fact was he was ruled to be breaking the law prior to be over turned by scotus. And the fact about women voting. Yep. If a woman voted then she was breaking the law. Is that not accurate? Not all laws were right. Not all are today. But, if you do break a law on the books and caught you will get prosecuted for it unless Lynch grabs Comeys balls and says no.

He broke the law. He was wrong. That's a fact. It was over turned. It should have been because he was an objector. But how is it that he got it over turned? Was it because of his fame? Was it because he was Ali? Would anyone else? He still took a punishment. Could not change a thing.

By the way, anyone not catch the irony in my sarcasm about feelings?

Kaepernick and his feelings are OK. But my feelings are baaaddddd.

Hilarious. You intellectuals. You smart smart witty people. I need a safespace, crayons and a coloring book. Maybe I'll go to Univof Missouri

The fact was he was ruled to be breaking the law prior to be over turned by scotus. And the fact about women voting. Yep. If a woman voted then she was breaking the law. Is that not accurate? Not all laws were right. Not all are today. But, if you do break a law on the books and caught you will get prosecuted for it unless Lynch grabs Comeys balls and says no.

He broke the law. He was wrong. That's a fact. It was over turned. It should have been because he was an objector. But how is it that he got it over turned? Was it because of his fame? Was it because he was Ali? Would anyone else? He still took a punishment. Could not change a thing.

The fact that the SCOTUS said he DIDN'T break the law means he DIDN'T BREAK THE LAW. I never had you pegged for someone with such little respect for our institutions.

I know Gregg will see this so I'll go with here.

First, sarcasm on the feelings Gregg. Common man.

Hence my :w00t: . I know you're messing around in this thread.

So, to rephrase, you're arguing an unjust ruling by a court of law automatically means the offender was wrong regardless of whether or not that ruling is overturned and shown to be wrong later on? Is that really the argument you want to make?

Oh god. Lol. Sounds like somebody is upset about unequal treatment!!! It's so upsetting that 26CornerBlitz is provided advantages and freedom from punishment that you aren't isn't it? Maybe there's a way you could protest these feelings of oppression you're feeling? Ideas?

Hahahhahahahahh. Hah. Amazing.

who are you.

I deleted it because I'm over getting worked up over politics on a football forum.

There are good cops. They risk their lives everyday. They deserve to be respected. There are some bad cops. It just so happens that their position of power allows them to wreak havoc.

Black criminals are not all innocent victims. Commit a crime = be punished. It just so happens that if you commit a relatively minor drug crime and you're black that you're going to get the felony foot of the law shoved so far up your ass that you are !@#$ed for a lifetime. It's a cycle of creating desperate people that can choose a life of abject poverty working at places that will hire felons OR trying to get ahead by committing more crimes.

On this we agree.

I have a big heart for the black community and I wish I had the power to fix it. I hate thinking about any person feeling hopeless - as I sit in my very comfortable life.

The crappiest part is it's not hopeless - but the mindset of these communities is one nightmare to try and fix. This issue is so daunting it's depressing.

On this we agree.

I have a big heart for the black community and I wish I had the power to fix it. I hate thinking about any person feeling hopeless - as I sit in my very comfortable life.

The crappiest part is it's not hopeless - but the mindset of these communities is one nightmare to try and fix. This issue is so daunting it's depressing.

Of course it's not hopeless. They can vote for Trump! After all, what do they have to lose?

On this we agree.

:beer:

You know what makes it even more daunting and depressing? It's when a guy tries to bring attention to these issues and is told to just shut up and be thankful he's in the greatest country in the world. Or when that same guy is told, 'yeah, sure there are real problems within your community but you should know better than to speak out, you're a millionaire and you might offend veterans!

Nothing changes unless we fight for change. That gets messy. Feelings get hurt. But it's often necessary to enact real lasting change.

does anybody give any thought to the hiring practices of the police forces

the appear often to hire people who already have been predisposed to pulling the trigger or are being trained to pull the trigger. They need to be more selective in the personalities they hire.

Modern police forces are armed with weapons most armies would cherish, but the issue is most of the confrontations that police have are with it's own citizens and not a foreign army.

don't come back with the police have the right to protect themselves (we know that is true) but all this leads to is police training. They are taught to be aggressive. They are not taught to be non violent solution orientated.

Police are not on patrol in Afghanistan, they are in a US city. I dislike the Black Lives Matter organization....I understand it I think but I see the issue is that impoverished lives matter,

If the cop is a racist his boss should pay the penalty for allowing him on the force. If the cop is too aggressive his boss should pay the penalty for allowing him on the force.

Stop and frisk was dumb, but stop and talk was not. Many impoverished people are by nature aggressive, many in the poor neighborhoods are aggressive, the cops have the keys to stop this cycle. Aggression vs aggression is not the solution.

Hence my :w00t: . I know you're messing around in this thread.

So, to rephrase, you're arguing an unjust ruling by a court of law automatically means the offender was wrong regardless of whether or not that ruling is overturned and shown to be wrong later on? Is that really the argument you want to make?

let me see if I can construct this.

Its a fine line of spirit of the law. The very thing being debated here, of sorts. Few others would have had the privilege Ali was granted by Scotus. Few others would have had the benefit of the doubt.

And the gray area is gray. The law was overturned. Laws do that. They're changed over time with social acceptance, often. These are obvious things I know you know. But before that law was over turned. Right or wrong. Constitutional or not. He was in the wrong. Morally, he was right. It was his own belief. There is nothing wrong with that. If we went to prison for it, if he could not box for 10 yrs... that's a choice he had to make. And I'm sure he stands by it in his casket. The guy was as strong of will as their is. But during that time. He was doing something defined as illegal.

It doesn't make it right. Things dont have to be not wrong and not still right. Not all wrongs have a right. In this case his right was reestablished. But what he did was wrong.

Most of the people in prison for non-violent drug offenses are Black and Latino. It's certainly not because those groups use drugs more than any other population groups in the United States. Just one example.

Let's assume Blacks and Latinos use drugs at the same rate as whites. Do you think there could be any other reason they have a higher arrest rate beyond the color of their skin?

Before you answer that, consider this: more than 70% of black children are born outside of marriage. Think about that for a minute. Seventy freaking percent. Any idea why?

Now consider this: what is one of the most common threads running among those who are most likely to get involved with illegal drug use and sale, and other related crimes? (Hint: no parents means kids are raised by...?)

Now consider this: where are most crimes happening? And when you have a high crime area, what else do you have? High police coverage.

More police coverage in high crime area means more arrests in high crime areas.

And where are the high crime areas again?

If you want to argue that the US oppresses blacks, your best argument isn't this stupid incarceration thing because it starts way before that. Your first step should be to look at the federal and local governments' baby-making incentive plan. Have more babies...get more welfare. The more babies you have, regardless of who gets you pregnant, the more federal money you get.

Start there. The incarceration thing is a false flag meant to divide and excuse the real problems.

Edited by LABillzFan

On this we agree.

It's mostly poverty and the problems that breeds. I never had to try hard to make it. If I were in those places I never would have made it out either. I'm not special.

I don't think any big civilization has ever solved or cared to solve the problems with poverty lol. I honestly don't think we will ever either.

Edited by Billschinatown

let me see if I can construct this.

Its a fine line of spirit of the law. The very thing being debated here, of sorts. Few others would have had the privilege Ali was granted by Scotus. Few others would have had the benefit of the doubt.

And the gray area is gray. The law was overturned. Laws do that. They're changed over time with social acceptance, often. These are obvious things I know you know. But before that law was over turned. Right or wrong. Constitutional or not. He was in the wrong. Morally, he was right. It was his own belief. There is nothing wrong with that. If we went to prison for it, if he could not box for 10 yrs... that's a choice he had to make. And I'm sure he stands by it in his casket. The guy was as strong of will as their is. But during that time. He was doing something defined as illegal.

It doesn't make it right. Things dont have to be not wrong and not still right. Not all wrongs have a right. In this case his right was reestablished. But what he did was wrong.

No law was overturned.

We live in a country that values religious freedom and being able to conscientiously object to serving in the military on the grounds of religious belief is the law of the land and it was denied to Ali because he was a divisive figure and the government wanted him silenced. The government used Ali's fame against him, they didn't want a prominent black athlete speaking out the way Ali was and tried to railroad him into an early grave in the jungles of SE Asia.

SCOTUS didn't overturn any law to help Ali.

No. It's selective enforcement contingent upon who is chosen for traffic stops, stop and frisk, and other policies that are more prevalent in some communities as borne out by statistics.

And why is this oppressive? Do we have significant evidence that these people aren't breaking the law? Are you just upset with the laws? Vote to get them changed. Until then the police have a job to do and that is enforcing the law.

It's an amazing time when cops are blamed for criminals breaking the law. I am not sure American's know what oppression is.

:beer:

You know what makes it even more daunting and depressing? It's when a guy tries to bring attention to these issues and is told to just shut up and be thankful he's in the greatest country in the world. Or when that same guy is told, 'yeah, sure there are real problems within your community but you should know better than to speak out, you're a millionaire and you might offend veterans!

Nothing changes unless we fight for change. That gets messy. Feelings get hurt. But it's often necessary to enact real lasting change.

He's not getting slammed for speaking out. He's getting slammed for the false gesture of speaking out and addressing a symptom but not the ailment.

Very similar to Ali's grandstanding act. How did his protest help out the community he was protesting for?