Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Or being cowed into silence by the brainwashed masses that think protesting elements of the country which are flawed is the same thing as disrespecting the entire country.

Personally, it doesn't offend me. Just says to me that he's one of many of the uninformed lemmings who believes some of the things he purports to believe. Just like millions of Americans they see things unfold like in Ferguson, media blasts 24/7 that an "unarmed" kid was shot by the police and that "witnesses" stated that he had his hands up, and then the meme "hands up don't shoot" is created. NATIONAL OUTRAGE!!!

We come to find out that he wasn't unarmed that he attempted to take the officers handgun from him and that the witnesses admitted that there really was no moment when Brown had his hands up and never stated don't shoot. Then we find out that just minutes earlier that Brown assaulted and bullied another minority from a convenience mart.

But it's too late, NATIONAL OUTRAGE has already come about, politicians have already showboated the false meme in front of congress, people of the media reported it as if it was already a fact and then you have the Rams football players who stood in solidarity doing the same thing.

Or look at the Baltimore situation, there was huge outrage against those 6 Baltimore cops. The media went wild and so did social media, and I'll bet my last bottom dollar that many of the Kap defenders on this thread were outraged about the Gray and Brown non scandal.

Things that never happened, actually did happen. Not in reality, not in the real world but in the minds of millions of people.

In regards to your statement, as I said, I'm not outraged or offended but I do feel the need to call out B.S when I see it.

However, you called those that believe that this is disrespectful to the country as "brainwashed". We can't tell people how or what they should feel, feelings are subjective. There is no right or wrong, you see something and you may feel some sort of emotion about it. So while you or I or many others may not feel that it is disrespectful to the country, many others do. I could defecate on the U.S flag, have my own internal reasons as to why I did it, and I'm sure there would be many people that would be outraged and some that wouldn't. Doesn't mean it was disrespectful or that it wasn't, just depends on who you ask. The point that I'm trying to make is that even though you don't feel offended by what Kap does, doesn't mean that people who are offended by it are "brainwashed". They have their reasons and more than likely it is probably something that is emotionally driven, again there is no right or wrong.

Wait, I thought you wanted this thread closed down????

i still do, i think it should have been done a while ago, as someone who posts on here, i thought i would express a further opinion, seeing that the thread is still open..

Edited by dwight in philly

All of em. Drugs are still just as easily obtained as 30 years ago. The war on it has failed and it's time to approach it in a different way. Decriminalize, and treat the problem. You can find ways to actually tax it and bring the illegal money into the economy. You save money on police, border, prisons, coast guard hospitals and on and on. Then instead of having drug users unable to gain employment cause of a record they might have a way of helping themselves.

I see. And who is going to sell these drugs? Are we going to let JoBob down the street set up his meth lab on the corner like a food cart? Or will 'big pharma" start selling them over the counter at CVS and Walgreens?

However, you called those that believe that this is disrespectful to the country as "brainwashed". We can't tell people how or what they should feel, feelings are subjective. There is no right or wrong, you see something and you may feel some sort of emotion about it. So while you or I or many others may not feel that it is disrespectful to the country, many others do. I could defecate on the U.S flag, have my own internal reasons as to why I did it, and I'm sure there would be many people that would be outraged and some that wouldn't. Doesn't mean it was disrespectful or that it wasn't, just depends on who you ask. The point that I'm trying to make is that even though you don't feel offended by what Kap does, doesn't mean that people who are offended by it are "brainwashed". They have their reasons and more than likely it is probably something that is emotionally driven, again there is no right or wrong.

Certainly. I never said everyone who disagrees is brainwashed for the record, I was specific. Just like CK isn't saying all cops are killing black folk for sport or every person in the country is racist.

But again, reduction to the absurd rears it's head in this thread.

Some people is rural or poor communities do not have the wherewithal to get ID that has been called for. Many of these voter ID laws have been struck down by courts because they were specifically designed to suppress the votes of African American citizens.

What type of wherewithal is needed?

Some live miles away from the nearest DMV and don't have transportation to get there. Some don't have their original birth certificates or the necessary means to prove their identity. The one thing these folks seem to have in common is their class. Voter ID laws often (not always) unfairly target the working poor, minorities, and the elderly.

I live I'm rural NC. I'm too stupid to get an ID to vote

Don't worry. He won't respond. It doesn't fit his narrative to understand this until the left can explain why its bad. Plus its hard to put over 140 characters

Some live miles away from the nearest DMV and don't have transportation to get there. Some don't have their original birth certificates or the necessary means to prove their identity. The one thing these folks seem to have in common is their class. Voter ID laws often (not always) unfairly target the working poor, minorities, and the elderly.

some. Some? ....some... how many is some? How many care enough to vote?

Sorry, I will get mocked for this. But if you can't adult to get an ID you don't need to be voting. Or you'll end up like the fat waitress at Buffalo wild wings who I had throw a drink at me

Don't worry. He won't respond. It doesn't fit his narrative to understand this until the left can explain why its bad.

He doesn't have to respond or explain. The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals already tossed NC's new voter registration law on the grounds that it was intended to illegally suppress the voting rights of African-Americans and other minorities.

Let's assume Blacks and Latinos use drugs at the same rate as whites. Do you think there could be any other reason they have a higher arrest rate beyond the color of their skin?

Before you answer that, consider this: more than 70% of black children are born outside of marriage. Think about that for a minute. Seventy freaking percent. Any idea why?

Now consider this: what is one of the most common threads running among those who are most likely to get involved with illegal drug use and sale, and other related crimes? (Hint: no parents means kids are raised by...?)

Now consider this: where are most crimes happening? And when you have a high crime area, what else do you have? High police coverage.

More police coverage in high crime area means more arrests in high crime areas.

And where are the high crime areas again?

If you want to argue that the US oppresses blacks, your best argument isn't this stupid incarceration thing because it starts way before that. Your first step should be to look at the federal and local governments' baby-making incentive plan. Have more babies...get more welfare. The more babies you have, regardless of who gets you pregnant, the more federal money you get.

Start there. The incarceration thing is a false flag meant to divide and excuse the real problems.

Prior to the mid 1960's, the great majority of Black families were two parent households. You should consider many things such as 1960's Federal Welfare Policy that mandated that no man could be in the household, financial redlining that choked off access to capital to black families and businesses, the 1970's heroin epidemic that devastated many families, the FBI COINTELPRO that targeted, infiltrated, and weakened many of the organizations that were pillars of strength in these communities. The same FBI program in conjunction with police departments all across the country imprisoned many African American men on trumped up charges and committed murder in some cases with police hit squads. Have you considered the 80's and 90's crack cocaine epidemic in inner city communities that the CIA helped to usher in to fund the illegal arms for hostages deal in the Reagan administration. How about the corresponding out of whack sentencing guidelines that have removed many black men from their communities in a modern day Jim Crow to feed and make profitable a Prison Industrial Complex.

You see a lot of instability in these communities for many underlying reasons including those that I have listed.

I live I'm rural NC. I'm too stupid to get an ID to vote

Don't worry. He won't respond. It doesn't fit his narrative to understand this until the left can explain why its bad. Plus its hard to put over 140 characters

some. Some? ....some... how many is some? How many care enough to vote?

Sorry, I will get mocked for this. But if you can't adult to get an ID you don't need to be voting. Or you'll end up like the fat waitress at Buffalo wild wings who I had throw a drink at me

You're doing good work in this thread trying to bring levity and/or steer it off course, but I don't want to bog the thread down with a battle over voter ID laws. We can go into the dungeon of PPP for that if you want. The bottom line is voter ID laws are perhaps noble in principle but in practice they're proven to be disenfranchising. We can debate all day long about the motive behind these laws, but from the point of view of how our government is supposed to work at its best, disenfranchisement of any sort is a violation of the worst kind.

And let's not get this topic too bogged down in right vs left. That's a distraction designed to keep us fighting one another rather than working actively towards solutions.

Thanks for jumping in here.

Just like CK isn't saying all cops are killing black folk for sport or every person in the country is racist.

No, but he did say that the country is oppressive to people of color and with his other previous statements the implication is clear, the country by and large is racist and oppressive, specially police departments throughout the country.

He could have said that some people in our country are oppressive and racist but he chose not to. And not only did he choose to lump in the country as a whole, he used the national anthem to back his implication as his symbolic way of communicating that the country is oppressive and racist.

Of course these are subjective terms, and he's entitled to them but let's not attempt to interpret what he said than anything other than that. He said what he said, there is no changing those words. He can try to clarify what he meant, but it's pretty clear what he meant.

He doesn't have to respond or explain. The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals already tossed NC's new voter registration law on the grounds that it was intended to illegally suppress the voting rights of African-Americans and other minorities.

why not suspend the rules for getting a library card, drivers license, food stamps, medicaid? all of which one needs to show ID?

the sad part about NC voting is that it is so corrupt. This is off the subject but it is as bias and racist as possible now. 130 yrs of predominantly democratic leadership has done this.

Mccrory is a saint. He's not perfect but at least he has a spine and a pair of balls. More than perdue, Cooper, etc have had. This state is corrupt af

You're doing good work in this thread trying to bring levity and/or steer it off course, but I don't want to bog the thread down with a battle over voter ID laws. We can go into the dungeon of PPP for that if you want. The bottom line is voter ID laws are perhaps noble in principle but in practice they're proven to be disenfranchising. We can debate all day long about the motive behind these laws, but from the point of view of how our government is supposed to work at its best, disenfranchisement of any sort is a violation of the worst kind.

And let's not get this topic too bogged down in right vs left. That's a distraction designed to keep us fighting one another rather than working actively towards solutions.

that's the truth.

This is a hard discussion. This is right there with why we have to vote trump or Clinton.

We can't change this with the establishment we have. We can't change this over a hashtag or bracelet. We cannot change this by trampling free speech and safe spaces. We cannot change this until people are ready to own up for what they can and be responsible for their own change

You don't know that - it's just your opinion.

That may have been a consequence but it was designed so that only citizens voted - people couldn't vote more than once - stop people that were deceased from still voting.

Actually, the court ruled it was voter suppression. It's not the other poster's opinion.