Kaepernick and the National Anthem

No, but he did say that the country is oppressive to people of color and with his other previous statements the implication is clear, the country by and large is racist and oppressive, specially police departments throughout the country.

He could have said that some people in our country are oppressive and racist but he chose not to. And not only did he choose to lump in the country as a whole, he used the national anthem to back his implication as his symbolic way of communicating that the country is oppressive and racist.

Of course these are subjective terms, and he's entitled to them but let's not attempt to interpret what he said than anything other than that. He said what he said, there is no changing those words. He can try to clarify what he meant, but it's pretty clear what he meant.

I don't have any problem with any of this. I said at the start, I'm not here to defend CK's view, just his right to express them. There have been tangents where I've discussed my take on various issues related to race in this country, but that shouldn't be confused with defending CK's position. Truth is I haven't done my homework to know enough about his actual position to have an opinion.

Prior to the mid 1960's, the great majority of Black families were two parent households. You should consider many things such as 1960's Federal Welfare Policy that mandated that no man could be in the household, financial redlining that choked off access to capital to black families and businesses, the 1970's heroin epidemic that devastated many families, the FBI COINTELPRO that targeted, infiltrated, and weakened many of the organizations that were pillars of strength in these communities. The same FBI program in conjunction with police departments all across the country imprisoned many African American men on trumped up charges and committed murder in some cases with police hit squads. Have you considered the 80's and 90's crack cocaine epidemic in inner city communities that the CIA helped to usher in to fund the illegal arms for hostages deal in the Reagan administration. How about the corresponding out of whack sentencing guidelines that have removed many black men from their communities in a modern day Jim Crow to feed and make profitable a Prison Industrial Complex.

You see a lot of instability in these communities for many underlying reasons including those that I have listed.

glad to see ya googled infowars. Try stormfront next time. Then when done go to 4chan's pol board.

Either way, so great of you to beat that drum of the man keeping the blacks down.

Sooooo, what has happened in those communities which are impacted by crime to better themselves? What have those communities done to establish independence and free themselves of this government which has screwed them over so royally?

Wait, I forgot they can't vote because something about voter ID laws because they can't get to ...wait. we can't discuss politics here. At least, we get warnings...usually. ...usually.

Enjoy the free ride

Exactly. But swimming in denial is more comfortable for some.

swimming in denial how? What do you know about NC voter laws? What do you know about what's happened here?

Your shots across the bow get old. You're a classic internet argument meme

I don't have any problem with any of this. I said at the start, I'm not here to defend CK's view, just his right to express them. There have been tangents where I've discussed my take on various issues related to race in this country, but that shouldn't be confused with defending CK's position. Truth is I haven't done my homework to know enough about his actual position to have an opinion.

I wish the whole debate on the Kaep incident became about freedom of speech and the first. Break up the trigger warnings. Safe spaces. Sit ins at college. Shut down Univ of Missouri and send Pinkel to DeVry (I hate pinkel. Always have).

The bigger issue is not kaep. Its free speech

I really feel that is where the hangup is for lots of people.

You can think CK has a right to express his beliefs and not agree with them or the way he is expressing them.

Myself.....its hard to talk about oppression when the next photo you see is a sportscar that your everyday person could not even afford. IN MY OPINION.....it is a priviladge to play a game for a living and to be a multi millionare......go to the places you are referring to Kaep and do charity events and do some of the tax deductable eligible giving thing with the same visability you are doing at an NFL game. I could care less if you stand for the anthem.

Edited by John from Hemet

Dude, She is one in a million..... not because of color but content of character.... her family is awesome..... I know it wasn't a very serious question but I give a sincere response.

I was asked the same question once or twice. I used to date women of all sorts. And i was amazed at some of the comments i received in doing so.

You are a person of very good character your self, showing by your response to Gug's.

I went to an all white Military school in Atlanta Georgia and lived in the wealthier section. Then we moved to Leland Mississippi in 1970.

Very poor town. My Pops was a consulting engineer and was tasked to create jobs in a run down factory.

That was the year I learned about racism. I did not adhere to any of it of course. Then we moved up North. another culture shock.

My kids learned about the segregation of kids and folks by wealth, or lack of. We were not well off, and people made a point to badger my children.

There is plenty still wrong in this world right here in my town. Everyone should do a little bit every day to close the gap.

I for one am glad the dialogue is raging again. Awareness is the best first step

glad to see ya googled infowars. Try stormfront next time. Then when done go to 4chan's pol board.

Either way, so great of you to beat that drum of the man keeping the blacks down.

Sooooo, what has happened in those communities which are impacted by crime to better themselves? What have those communities done to establish independence and free themselves of this government which has screwed them over so royally?

Wait, I forgot they can't vote because something about voter ID laws because they can't get to ...wait. we can't discuss politics here. At least, we get warnings...usually. ...usually.

Enjoy the free ride

swimming in denial how? What do you know about NC voter laws? What do you know about what's happened here?

Your shots across the bow get old. You're a classic internet argument meme

What a know nothing. What have you studied over the course of your life? It's apparent that you have no knowledge of what I have studied and know as fact. It's why I often choose to ignore your uneducated ridiculousness on almost every occasion. This is my final response to you because you merit being ignored.

What about absentee ballot. Who is checking id? That is an affidavit that requires just a signature... Just like a non-id, in person ballot.

i agree with voter ID laws.. it is so freakin simple.. show ID or you dont vote.. anyone with a pea for a brain knows why people should be required to show ID?.. and if it has to be explained, then you are delusional..

Some live miles away from the nearest DMV and don't have transportation to get there. Some don't have their original birth certificates or the necessary means to prove their identity. The one thing these folks seem to have in common is their class. Voter ID laws often (not always) unfairly target the working poor, minorities, and the elderly.

How do they go and vote then?

i agree with voter ID laws.. it is so freakin simple.. show ID or you dont vote.. anyone with a pea for a brain knows why people should be required to show ID?.. and if it has to be explained, then you are delusional..

How do they check and id absentee ballots?

A few years back... I mailed one for a deckhand on a towboat... He was from Wisconsin.

Exactly.

Explain how id for absentee works. I can vote for my whole family and mail them in. Nobody is checking if each one is physically voted for. Once the ballots all go in a heap, all become untraceable.

Library card, etc... All can be tracked to a person.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Actually, the court ruled it was voter suppression. It's not the other poster's opinion.

Yes, a very partisan group of 3 judges made that decision. Unfortunately politics have infiltrated every inch of government. We have a lot of illegal immigrants registering to vote because it is so easy to do so with driver's licenses and taxpayer ID numbers being readily issued to illegal immigrants. No proof of citizenship is required/confirmed in many states. Everyone should support voter ID, better registration screening and integrity at the polls.

Yes, a very partisan group of 3 judges made that decision. Unfortunately politics have infiltrated every inch of government. We have a lot of illegal immigrants registering to vote because it is so easy to do so with driver's licenses and taxpayer ID numbers being readily issued to illegal immigrants. No proof of citizenship is required/confirmed in many states. Everyone should support voter ID, better registration screening and integrity at the polls.

Then everybody has to vote in person and be seen by election judge. I can get with that. If you are away on business, etc... Then too bad.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

How do they check and id absentee ballots?

A few years back... I mailed one for a deckhand on a towboat... He was from Wisconsin.

im not familiar with the absentee voting policy.. isnt there a requirement of some sort or justification one must have to receive an absentee ballot?

Exactly.

Is the government suppressing the ability to get a driver's license, as well as the right to vote?

The Constitution says we all have the right to vote. The Right in some states is trying to take away that right. I thought the Right was all about the Constitution.

Some live miles away from the nearest DMV and don't have transportation to get there. Some don't have their original birth certificates or the necessary means to prove their identity. The one thing these folks seem to have in common is their class. Voter ID laws often (not always) unfairly target the working poor, minorities, and the elderly.

Prior to the mid 1960's, the great majority of Black families were two parent households. You should consider many things such as 1960's Federal Welfare Policy that mandated that no man could be in the household, financial redlining that choked off access to capital to black families and businesses, the 1970's heroin epidemic that devastated many families, the FBI COINTELPRO that targeted, infiltrated, and weakened many of the organizations that were pillars of strength in these communities. The same FBI program in conjunction with police departments all across the country imprisoned many African American men on trumped up charges and committed murder in some cases with police hit squads. Have you considered the 80's and 90's crack cocaine epidemic in inner city communities that the CIA helped to usher in to fund the illegal arms for hostages deal in the Reagan administration. How about the corresponding out of whack sentencing guidelines that have removed many black men from their communities in a modern day Jim Crow to feed and make profitable a Prison Industrial Complex.

You see a lot of instability in these communities for many underlying reasons including those that I have listed.

Damn Man !

You just knocked it out of the Park !

These are all things I am aware of but am not well versed enough to express.

Every point you make is valid.

And I thought you were the quiet type !!

Thanks for reminding and educating those who forgot or never knew how crazy this countries political machine can be. And like i told my 25 year old daughter, History is your teacher, the strains of hatred and malicious behaviour have always been present and repeat themselves.

What a turn this dialogue has taken.

He doesn't have to respond or explain. The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals already tossed NC's new voter registration law on the grounds that it was intended to illegally suppress the voting rights of African-Americans and other minorities.

chalk one up for the good guys.