Kaepernick and the National Anthem

From a football perspective I disagree with Kapernick taking an action which at best is a distraction from the immediate football goal of winning the game.

However, as a human being, I agree with Kap on the substance that it is the "right" thing for a perceived leader (deservedly or not stud athletes are role models for kids) to take a stand in favor of the rights to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness of an aggrieved party in US society.

I totally agree that Kap as an American has every right to protest even far more vigorously than simply not hand over hearting when the anthem is played. He can burn the flag for all I care (in the proper setting - like in a protest in the public square but not out of the blue prior to a game) and be wellwithin hs rights as an American.

However, as a football fan his protest is merely a distraction from the game.

Pro football is unimportant "mere" entertainment in the big picture. I do not find Kap doing the "right" thing to be very entertaining for this fan.

I watch football to forget about important stuff!

I remember when Muhammad Ali was vilified for refusing induction into the Army when the Vietnam War was raging. His principled stand turned out to be the right thing to do when view through the lens of history.

I don't think everyone agrees now or then that it was the right thing to do.

It's what he did and he eventually got some respect for doing it - possibly because he was a great athlete.

Edited by Triple Threat

And I think that's what gets most people riled up. He's slamming the entire country for individual acts.

Exactly. THIS is what makes him a dumbass about this topic.

No matter how many times I ask in this thread, literally no one can explain how the United States of America currently oppresses blacks.

No matter how many times I ask in this thread, literally no one can explain how the United States of America currently oppresses blacks.

Must be the prices at Cheesecake Factory and Outback.

Most of the people in prison for non-violent drug offenses are Black and Latino. It's certainly not because those groups use drugs more than any other population groups in the United States. Just one example.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

james_wood_kaepernick_tweet_8-26-16-1.jp

its a uniform issue... if the cowboys want to discuss it in the media, or come out with some symbolic gesture coming out of the tunnel they could. the nfl isnt approving a uniform variance though (likely because that opens a can of worms with official policy).

I almost never post, but this issue seems to be very polarizing.

I am tired of the Kaepernick apologists saying that you have to respect his opinion (both on The Wall & in mainstream media). You have to respect his right to have an opinion - that's something that is fundamental to America & being American - but his opinion in itself is totally disrespectful & quite frankly just BS. Today I heard that Alex Boone spoke out against Kap, that is the first person I heard say something negative about him. Why? Probably since it touches on a race related issue and no one wants to touch it with a ten foot pole. That's sad, sad that honoring our country and fixing other issues in our country can be tied together.

The flag stands for a lot of different things, and the national anthem provides an opportunity to honor those who gave their lives. That fact alone means when it is played it is a hallowed period of time. You act accordingly.

I applaud Kaepernick for using his NFL platform to speak out on an issue which he seemingly feels very strongly about - but not taking the time to reflect during the national anthem, or at least just standing and pretending to honor our country is disgusting. Kap is going about this all wrong. While he wont be dragged into court from not standing during the national anthem, he still has to face the court of public opinion. For a mediocre QB, if the public outcry is strong enough he just might find himself on the streets.

I remember when Muhammad Ali was vilified for refusing induction into the Army when the Vietnam War was raging. His principled stand turned out to be the right thing to do when view through the lens of history.

Not even close to being comparable, imo.

Ali refused to join a war which we know now was a war we should have never been fighting in - and had intelligent, logical reasons for his refusal. Ali was able to vocalize his innovative ideas which generated discussion (ie heated debates) then and those ideas are still used today.

While Ali was protesting a true national policy (a war), Kaep is protesting isolated incidents.

Even if Kaep somehow starts a movement with this silly thing - what's going to change? How can one change natural occurrences within a society and actions from individuals by protesting a country's flag and anthem? Even if one thinks the flag symbolizes government polices - there's no U.S. policy that calls for the mistreatment of black people.

Monumental differences between the two.

I almost never post, but this issue seems to be very polarizing.

I am tired of the Kaepernick apologists saying that you have to respect his opinion (both on The Wall & in mainstream media). You have to respect his right to have an opinion - that's something that is fundamental to America & being American - but his opinion in itself is totally disrespectful & quite frankly just BS. Today I heard that Alex Boone spoke out against Kap, that is the first person I heard say something negative about him. Why? Probably since it touches on a race related issue and no one wants to touch it with a ten foot pole. That's sad, sad that honoring our country and fixing other issues in our country can be tied together.

The flag stands for a lot of different things, and the national anthem provides an opportunity to honor those who gave their lives. That fact alone means when it is played it is a hallowed period of time. You act accordingly.

I applaud Kaepernick for using his NFL platform to speak out on an issue which he seemingly feels very strongly about - but not taking the time to reflect during the national anthem, or at least just standing and pretending to honor our country is disgusting. Kap is going about this all wrong. While he wont be dragged into court from not standing during the national anthem, he still has to face the court of public opinion. For a mediocre QB, if the public outcry is strong enough he just might find himself on the streets.

He clearly understand that and simply does not care.

From a football perspective I disagree with Kapernick taking an action which at best is a distraction from the immediate football goal of winning the game.

However, as a human being, I agree with Kap on the substance that it is the "right" thing for a perceived leader (deservedly or not stud athletes are role models for kids) to take a stand in favor of the rights to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness of an aggrieved party in US society.

I totally agree that Kap as an American has every right to protest even far more vigorously than simply not hand over hearting when the anthem is played. He can burn the flag for all I care (in the proper setting - like in a protest in the public square but not out of the blue prior to a game) and be wellwithin hs rights as an American.

However, as a football fan his protest is merely a distraction from the game.

Pro football is unimportant "mere" entertainment in the big picture. I do not find Kap doing the "right" thing to be very entertaining for this fan.

I watch football to forget about important stuff!

By your logic, the anthem itself is a distraction from the game.

I'll bite.

Shutting down polls in black neighborhoods, forcing them to travel outrageous distances just to vote, supposedly a right we all have.

Gerrymandering.

Certain states changing voting laws so as to disproportionately suppress the vote. The following goes into more detail:

As of this month, a total of 36 states have passed laws requiring voters to show some form of identification at the polls, and 33 of those states will enforce their laws in 2016. A number of the state’s provisions are being challenged in court, and litigation in Texas and North Carolina could determine the courts’ ability to apply the VRA after its vital provisions were gutted by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2013. North Carolina’s case is scheduled to be heard later this month, and officials in Texas are currently pushing for an appeal after a panel ruled last year that the state’s law is discriminatory.

While current voter ID laws are being challenged, other states are considering adding even more restrictions. Pending legislation in Missouri would require voters to present a form of government-issued photo identification at the polls in order to vote, a renewed effort after a state courts struck down a previous voter ID law. During the 2015 legislative session, at least 113 bills that would restrict access to registration and voting were introduced or carried over in 33 states, according to the Brennan Center for Justice.

Efforts To Make Getting An ID Even Harder

Wisconsin currently has one of the strictest voter ID laws in the country and requires voters to present a photo ID card. Last week, two Republican lawmakers in Wisconsin began circulating a proposal to prohibit county and town governments from issuing or spending money on photo identification cards. The law would also prohibit IDs issued by cities or villages from being used to vote. Voting advocates say the proposal directly targets a plan recently approved by Milwaukee officials to issue local identification cards to the homeless, undocumented immigrants, and other residents unable to obtain state driver’s licenses or other government-issued ID cards.

Other states also limit the types of IDs that can be used to vote in efforts to make it even harder for people to produce an ID. Later this year, a federal appeals court will hear arguments in the American Civil Liberty Union’s case against Wisconsin, which alleges that the rejection of U.S. Veterans Administration ID cards discriminates against homeless veterans and others without photo ID.

And last year, a year after enacting a voter ID law, Alabama shuttered 31 driver’s license offices — most of them in rural, impoverished, majority-black counties. Civil rights groups have filed suit, arguing that the change disproportionately affects racial minorities.

Limited Voting And Registration Hours

Marc Ellis, an attorney for Hillary Clinton, has filed two lawsuits in Ohio and Wisconsin challenging voting restrictions in both states. in Ohio, the litigation targets the elimination of same-day registration and cuts to early voting hours. And in Wisconsin, his lawsuit takes aim at cuts to early voting days and the state’s voter ID provision. Though the Clinton campaign is not connected to the lawsuits, the Democratic candidate has been vocal about the importance of expanding access to the polls.

And a North Carolina judge heard arguments last year in a case challenging the state’s cuts to early voting days and its elimination of same-day registration. A decision will be issued at some point this year, and an appeal could end up before the Supreme Court.

Most of the people in prison for non-violent drug offenses are Black and Latino. It's certainly not because those groups use drugs more than any other population groups in the United States. Just one example.

Isn't that more accurately oppression of criminals? And aren't criminals a minority? So it sounds like we need to include criminals in this discussion.

I'm amazed at how many people care........seriously, when its played on the tv do you stand at home for it? or is it time to check on the food or get another beer. Thought so.

What about the camera and other production crewmembers blithely going about their work while the anthem goes on. And the guy who pushes the buttons for the fireworks?

I'll bite.

Shutting down polls in black neighborhoods, forcing them to travel outrageous distances just to vote, supposedly a right we all have.

Gerrymandering.

Certain states changing voting laws so as to disproportionately suppress the vote. The following goes into more detail:

And I wouldn't take issue if Kaep mentioned any of those topics as his reasons.

Instead, he says that police officers are out there murdering black men consistently, which simply isn't true. In fact, black folks are statistically less likely to be victims of deadly force by police.

I said at the beginning that I don't care if he doesn't stand up for the anthem; his choice. I take issue, however, with nebulous reasoning like "black oppression", which is then backed up by falsehoods.

Playing the national anthem before all sporting events is silly.

Stating publicly you aren't going to stand for the national anthem to make a political statement is also silly.

Kap is completely within his rights to do and say what he did...that doesn't mean it was a particularly smart decision. There are obviously a great deal of people who take the anthem very seriously -- why make them your enemies?

@RapSheet

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color."

https://t.co/CNnJJqG77R

Love it.. I want to see more people protest what this country is becoming..To me its about wallstreet abuse and the politicians who kowtow to it..Way to much money pouring into politics and way to many people unwilling to stand up to it but would rather whine about all the other BS