Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Well I don't think anyone argues that racism doesn't exist. The argument here is that you stated that "That the great experiment produced a truly great country, and if only its people actually believed and practiced "all men are equal" "

Indicative that a large portion of the country doesn't believe that all men are created equal. I'd like you to back that up outside of your own preconceived notions that white people are racist because it's just so obvious.

You have to define equal. Equal as in equal rights, equal in capability, thoughts, anatomy?

Well I don't think anyone argues that racism doesn't exist. The argument here is that you stated that "That the great experiment produced a truly great country, and if only its people actually believed and practiced "all men are equal" "

Indicative that a large portion of the country doesn't believe that all men are created equal. I'd like you to back that up outside of your own preconceived notions that white people are racist because it's just so obvious.

Black people as a whole are probably more racist than whites as a whole. Less trusting of other races. Less tolerant. But it's because of the racism that a huge portion of the country doesn't think exists any more or thinks has drastically been reduced.

Only if you want to lower the collective IQ of the board.

I agree, it's pretty silly to extrapolate the actions of a few as an indication of the mindset of 300 million people. Just trying to get a feel for this blatant racism that is rampant in this country. Not sure who you guys associate with, but not many people I know think that people of other races aren't equal. In fact the mere perceived notion of racism is a trigger for most people these days

You have to define equal. Equal as in equal rights, equal in capability, thoughts, anatomy?

You'd have to ask Kelly the Dog. I assume by the elevator analogy that thinking in your head that someone is black is considered racism as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race just based on that realization.

So just the acknowledgement of different races means you are off to a rough start in terms of "all men are created equal".

Racism can't entirely be dealt with because you can't force people to change their hearts. Black people have more opportunity now than any other time in history. They also have never had more freedom to speak outwardly about it - not to say they don't get judged for it - but they certainly don't get the punishment of past generations.

I just wish they would see that as a positive for themselves and start being appreciative to the country.

Debate will always be there and it's why we're great and free. Black people are involved in that debate and it's a great thing. Even if we disagree with each other on substance at times. To have more hate than ever in history is not the answer - just because you're able.

Edited by Triple Threat

Meh free country, he can do whatever he pleases, and people that object will protest him much the same way. What I find troubling, is that he, along with a great many others, are buying into this whole "government" oppresses the blacks routine. It's complete BS spurred on by a largely salivating MSM, all too eager to highlight any and all instances of racial tensions. Government isn't oppressing anyone approaching anywhere near the degree he espouses. Sure, it is true that under democrat governments such as Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta etc.. blacks have done especially poorly and continue to, but government as a whole is not systematically oppressing anyone. In those cases, it's just poor policies, and an all too willing culture that seems to be inclined to allow it to continue.

I doubt very much that ole Kap has given much deeper thought than your average drive-by social media junkie..

Just like corporations that take political stands, they will and are facing backlashes, and this too will, as demonstrated in this thread, lead to a mixed bag, and some who feel strongly enough to take their stands..

That's what makes this country great!

Tim-

Oh please. What's being done to make it more difficult for minorities to vote?

You might want to read a newspaper, other than the NY Post. In the last month alone, laws passed by Republucan-controlled legislatures in three different states making it more difficult to vote (or register to vote) have been tossed by the courts because they were intended to have an adverse effect on minority participation in the electoral process. This has been going on for many years and there are several other such laws that may be tossed before the November elections.

Nope. That the great experiment produced a truly great country, and if only its people actually believed and practiced "all men are equal" we wouldn't be having this trouble and Colin would have stood for the anthem.

It's "All men are CREATED equal." It's an aspiration from the Declaration. The Constitution is the attempt to make the aspirations practical in governance, and it means all are to be treated equally under the law. In every day life, we are wildly unequal. And even under the law some people are "more equal than others." That's why so few wealthy and powerful people ever go to prison or wind up executed. Edited by yungmack

The NFL is a business and will do nothing to this idiot for disrespecting his country. What a shame it has come to this in our great nation. What has he ever done to help his country? This ethnic stuff is bull. Tell him to get a life and find another job in another country.

The NFL is a business and will do nothing to this idiot for disrespecting his country. What a shame it has come to this in our great nation. What has he ever done to help his country? This ethnic stuff is bull. Tell him to get a life and find another job in another country.

The best way to disrespect the country would be to punish a guy for exercising his right to free speech and protest.

So, in your book, anyone who criticizes this country is "disrespecting" it, and therefore should leave? Got it.

And BTW, what "ethnic stuff" are you talking about? As far as I know, Kaep said absolutely nothing about ethnic origin or discrimination on the basis of it. Or is it all just the same to you?

You might want to read a newspaper, other than the NY Post. In the last month alone, laws passed by Republucan-controlled legislatures in three different states making it more difficult to vote (or register to vote) have been tossed by the courts because they were intended to have an adverse effect on minority participation in the electoral process. This has been going on for many years and there are several other such laws that may be tossed before the November elections.

I'm familiar with the cases and the ridiculous arguments used that having an ID or tightening the window or procedure for early and absentee voting hurts minorities. For **** sakes you have to have ID to get a fishing license in most states. Where's the outrage there? If we don't have proof of citizenship and photo ID in the registration and voting process, we don't have integrity in the vote. Everyone can and should get an ID.

I'm familiar with the cases and the ridiculous arguments used that having an ID or tightening the window or procedure for early and absentee voting hurts minorities. For **** sakes you have to have ID to get a fishing license in most states. Where's the outrage there? If we don't have proof of citizenship and photo ID in the registration and voting process, we don't have integrity in the vote. Everyone can and should get an ID.

Those "ridiculous arguments" were validated by three different federal appeals courts, or maybe it was two appeals courts and one district court. Anyway, nice try.

Those "ridiculous arguments" were validated by three different federal appeals courts, or maybe it was two appeals courts and one district court. Anyway, nice try.

So when the appeals courts hold up voter id cases, you will equally say that they came to a logical conclusion and they aren't oppressive bigots right?

https://www.doj.state.wi.us/news-releases/us-court-appeals-seventh-circuit-stays-district-court%E2%80%99s-decision-frank-v-walker

Edited by What a Tuel

The ruling in the NC case was particularly scathing as the following language from the ruling suggests.

“target African-Americans with almost surgical precision” in an effort to depress black turnout at the polls.

So when the appeals courts hold up voter id cases, you will equally say that they came to a logical conclusion and they aren't oppressive bigots right?

https://www.doj.state.wi.us/news-releases/us-court-appeals-seventh-circuit-stays-district-court%E2%80%99s-decision-frank-v-walker

Of course. But the appeals court has not reversed the district judge's decision, at least not yet.