Kaepernick and the National Anthem

It's not that difficult to understand. This is what he said

I have the right to believe he is an uninformed asshat.

but it's a Malcolm X asshat...

I've already given my answer. Not playing your word twisting circular argument games. Next!

"word twisting"?

Yeah, that's the answer I expected. Keep moving.

Eh, to each his own.

It's a silent, non-violent protest (he might want to switch to a MLK hat) that hurt no one.

I wonder if EJ will join him in his Million Backups March.

If sitting silently on the bench is way of supporting the oppressed, they should be counting on a season long commitment from Kaep to their cause...

Weak response. You've been deflecting, dodging and now adding ad hominems via insinuation when left with no substantive argument to stand on.

It's the response he's getting because I already posted about institutional and systemic racism that does not reflect the attitudes of every single American citizen. I haven't dodged or deflected anything. The problem is people are too lazy to research ideas that have been codified into laws and subsequent actions that impact peoples lives in many significant ways. There is plenty of substance there but either you're unaware or chose to ignore. Can't help you with that.

Boy he has fallen. One foot out the door

What? He has fallen? No man, don't you get it? It's AMERICUH that has fallen!! Or has America always been a fallen country? Maybe we should ask Kap, he does seem to be an expert on this topic.

A football player takes a public stand on a social position in which he has strong feelings. He is not naive. Quite the opposite---he is a smart individual who was recruited by Stanford and could have gone to a number of Ivy league schools. He knew that the stance he was taking would draw criticisms from most people.CK is also astute enough to realize by taking a public stance on such a volatile issue that he would be jeopardizing his current endorsement and future endorsement positions. Without worrying about the financial repercussions he held to a position he has strong feelings on.

Whether one agrees or not with his actions no one can argue that he doesn't have the right to express his beliefs. If his expressions made people uncomfortable or even angry it at least made people think about the issue that he wasn't willing to go along with. The flag is a symbol of freedom in which people can express their views, popular or not, without questioning their right to express them. Was it the right place to express his views? For many, including me, it wasn't the most propitious time and place. But if the timing made me uncomfortable that is my issue/problem not his.

The first link is from SI dealing with an interview with his parents. The second link deals with a Department of Justice report on Baltimore policing. This is the type of issue that CK had in mind when he refused to stand for the anthem.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/27/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-san-francisco-49ers-nfl

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/10/12418428/baltimore-police-investigation-justice-department-report

A football player takes a public stand on a social position in which he has strong feelings. He is not naive. Quite the opposite---he is a smart individual who was recruited by Stanford and could have gone to a number of Ivy league schools. He knew that the stance he was taking would draw criticisms from most people.CK is also astute enough to realize by taking a public stance on such a volatile issue that he would be jeopardizing his current endorsement and future endorsement positions. Without worrying about the financial repercussions he held to a position he has strong feelings on.

Whether one agrees or not with his actions no one can argue that he doesn't have the right to express his beliefs. If his expressions made people uncomfortable or even angry it at least made people think about the issue that he wasn't willing to go along with. The flag is a symbol of freedom in which people can express their views, popular or not, without questioning their right to express them. Was it the right place to express his views? For many, including me, it wasn't the most propitious time and place. But if the timing made me uncomfortable that is my issue/problem not his.

The first link is from SI dealing with an interview with his parents. The second link deals with a Department of Justice report on Baltimore policing. This is the type of issue that CK had in mind when he refused to stand for the anthem.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/27/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-san-francisco-49ers-nfl

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/10/12418428/baltimore-police-investigation-justice-department-report

A concrete example of the systemic issues that Kaep was protesting against.

It's the response he's getting because I already posted about institutional and systemic racism that does not reflect the attitudes of every single American citizen. I haven't dodged or deflected anything. The problem is people are too lazy to research ideas that have been codified into laws and subsequent actions that impact peoples lives in many significant ways. There is plenty of substance there but either you're unaware or chose to ignore. Can't help you with that.

Well that actually explains a lot. When I stand for the National Anthem, I'm not standing up for a flag or a set of institutions. I'm singing a song of unity with the other 70k or so people and, by extension, 300 million others who live here. That doesn't mean I don't think the institutions can be made better. I do.

Well that actually explains a lot. When I stand for the National Anthem, I'm not standing up for a flag or a set of institutions. I'm singing a song of unity with the other 70k or so people and, by extension, 300 million others who live here. That doesn't mean I don't think the institutions can be made better. I do.

I think that is a great approach and I am genuinely happy that it works for you.

Real black guy? Give me a break. The concept of race was made up to justify the inhumane treatment of people of color by the brutal systems of slavery and colonialism. The BBC did an excellent three part series about ten years ago that tells the story on the origins of the concept of race and the origins of racism.

I just mean he doesnt seem real 'street' to me.

common ground after all! You are restoring my faith in public discourse. :)

Airing grievances and challenging the country to be better does not mean one does not love and appreciate its greatness. Peace man.

I just mean he doesnt seem real 'street' to me.

Is that the "real" way to be black in your mind?