Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Lynching, as in a white community banding together to execute a black person? When?

the 60's. Get off the blogs and read a history book.

I did some quick research, only a handful in the 50's and 60's. so not too bad, but still not good.

Edited by klos63

You should study up on COINTELPRO, Redlining, the war on drugs, and many other policies and practices before posing questions such as this. There's quite a bit to go into but there's a good list to start with.

Two points.

COINTELPRO was how many generations ago?

Also, it wasn't a racial based program as much as it was a counter to organizing forces that they (wrongly believed) was disruptive to the government.

Edited by Magox

Not to mention BLM

look how so many are flying off the handle about Kaep, but blacks are supposed to be quiet when cops get away with shooting a 13 year old black kid with a toy gun?

1960s were two generations ago.

fair enough, but still not too long ago. Nothing to feel too good about.

Maybe not as strongly as now. Lot of crap hitting the fan lately. But you don't know and you're just reaching for reasons to discredit him.

But to your point, if he did this 3 years ago, would you be ok with it?

I would have been far more impressed and would have regarded it as genuine. here is nothing genuine about this desperate petulant attention seeking behavior.

It's not possible that he was always uncomfortable with it but the recent events in the news moved him to action?

If you want to reference "anything's possible".

The timing and context suggest that this isn't a deep heartfelt sentiment for this kid.

I would have been far more impressed and would have regarded it as genuine. here is nothing genuine about this desperate petulant attention seeking behavior.

The timing and context suggest that this isn't a deep heartfelt sentiment for this kid.

Can you back up that statement with any factual evidence, or are you still just trying to discredit him any way possible.

1960s were two generations ago.

baby boomers are so overwhelmed with guilt, they fail to notice the world has changed since they grew up.

News flash: my white privilege card seems to have expired sometime in the mid-nineties. And my kids have not been issued one at all.

That's not a bad thing. There shouldnt be a race privilege card. And yet, some people act like they deserve one now for past grievances.

See? You don't even believe what you protest. ;) There is not a chance in hell you truly believe that only in the "anything's possible" sense that you think it could not be because of recent events in the news that it pushed him to act on something he believed in before. Not a chance.

News flash: my white privilege card seems to have expired sometime in the mid-nineties. And my kids have not been issued one at all.

That's not a bad thing. There shouldnt be a race privilege card. And yet, some people act like they deserve one now for past grievances.

Heretic!!!!

See? You don't even believe what you protest. ;) There is not a chance in hell you truly believe that only in the "anything's possible" sense that you think it could not be because of recent events in the news that it pushed him to act on something he believed in before. Not a chance.

No one can argue with anything's possible.

I would put the likelihood against his being a genuine, but somehow delayed sentiment as "99%".

look how so many are flying off the handle about Kaep, but blacks are supposed to be quiet when cops get away with shooting a 13 year old black kid with a toy gun?

fair enough, but still not too long ago. Nothing to feel too good about.

Of course They're not supposed to be quiet about that.

But everyone just glosees over the question of what the hell was that 13 year old playing with the gun in the first place, and what was he doing to get somebody to call the cops in the first place.

Don't address the symptom by crying about it. Address the cause. Kaep would have far more credibility with his crudade if he had a history of working with and helping the at-risk youth that he's claiming to be upset about.

Edited by GG

That was 2 years ago. Keep has been silent on that one.

Innocent kid dead, old news. Move on.

For my kids, 1960 may as well be 1492. It is in fact a very long time ago. Over 50 years.

you're making me feel old now.

Of They're not supposed to be quiet about that.

But everyone just glosees over the question of what the hell was that 13 year old playing with the gun in the first place, and what was he doing to get somebody to call the cops in the first place.

Don't address the symptom by crying about it. Address the cause. Kaep would have far more credibility with his crudade if he had a history of working with and helping the at-risk youth that he's claiming to be upset about.

Right, black kids aren't allowed to play with toy guns. And if they cop isn't sure, just drive up and shoot him in the chest. Case closed.

Of course They're not supposed to be quiet about that.

Do you know for a fact that he hasn't tried to help in the community? Or just looking for another way to discredit him?

Right, black kids aren't allowed to play with toy guns. And if they cop isn't sure, just drive up and shoot him in the chest. Case closed.

You like those strawmen don't you. The big question still eludes you why cops behave differently in high crime areas than in non high crime areas.

If Kaep is worried about oppression and subservience, where is his campaign against the gangs, who are far more responsible for the deaths of black youth?

I did a search. Colin Kaepernick race relations. First article that comes up is about the fact he was thinking about race relations before he could walk and talk. ;)

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/colin-kaepernick-details-childhood-racial-struggle-2015810

I would imagine most if not all mixed race kids have the same feelings.

What is completely absent from that article from a year ago is any hint that he felt this country oppressed people of color--and the bodies were already "in the streets" when he gave that interview.

He did make clear his thought about his wardrobe though.