Kaepernick and the National Anthem

I agree and have said the BLM is ill-conceived and I am not a fan.

Not so much ill-conceived, as conceived for ill. The former is a bad idea, the latter is a purposeful spreading of a bad ideology.

I guess the latest word is that some chick is getting him all wound up and convincing him to protest/join ISIS/destroy America. That is 100% plausible. Chicks make dudes really really stupid.

Edited by Ralonzo

You have a point, but the problem is that the Anthem (and our flag), as symbols of our country, are the very things enabling him to express his POV. By showing disrespect for our anthem, Kaepernick publicly undermined the foundation for the freedoms that he enjoys.

No, they are not "the very things enabling him to express his POV." I think what you mean is the constitution. As you point out, the flag and the anthem are nothing but symbols. Plenty of people love America (and its constitution) but don't give a rip about either the flag or the anthem.

One thing that stands out to me here in this is the lack of gratitude that Kaepernick shows. For all of the injustices that our nation has been guilty of, it has also given much to Kaepernick (as other posters have pointed out). He looks like a spoiled brat.

So, because Kaep is wealthy and successful he's not allowed to stand up for what he believes are injustices in this country? Only the poor can do that?

Also, the whole thing makes me a bit sad. I wonder if we have lost our sense of community in our country. I think at one time American's felt a common bond with one another over our commitment to the democratic ideal of liberty, the rule of law, equality, human rights, etc. I don't think we share this any longer. In fact, I think it is sometimes easier to find anger, hatred, or simple indifference to America and the ideals that it represents. I don't know why this has happened, but it is a bit depressing.

Maybe it's because one of the two major political parties in this country has nominated a man for president whose appeal to voters is so unabashedly racist that, according to multiple polls, he has attracted the support of between 0 and 1 percent of African American voters. Or maybe it's because that same party has dedicated a large part of its resources to enacting state laws whose purpose is to (illegally) make it more difficult for African-Americans and other minorities to exercise their constitutional right to vote.

Or maybe it's because that same party has conducted an eight year campaign of hatred, ridicule and fear-mongering against our first African American president, while at the same time blaming him for the deterioration of race relations.

Edited by mannc

See all of the productive discussion this act has created? 😄

Now everyone will join hands and look for solutions together to this problem... Or maybe it's made them more entrenched than ever in their beliefs and less likely to work together to find a solution.

Just doing SOMETHING doesn't mean that you're helping. Typically, insulting entire populations is not a positive step towards real change.

Edited by vincec

look how so many are flying off the handle about Kaep, but blacks are supposed to be quiet when cops get away with shooting a 13 year old black kid with a toy gun?

1) Pointing guns at people is asking for trouble

2) Pointing guns at people without the orange fob that denotes it as a non-lethal instrument is more trouble

3) Pointing guns at people without the orange fob that denotes it as a non-lethal instrument and whipping it out when the cops show up is fatal trouble

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/23/justice/cleveland-police-shooting/index.html

Innocent kid dead, old news. Move on.

To quote Little Bill Daggett, "Innocent of what?"

Of all the examples in the world to pick to support your assertion, that has to be one of the worst.

Edited by Ralonzo

See all of the productive discussion this act has created?

Now everyone will join hands and look for solutions together to this problem... Or maybe it's made them more intrenched than ever in their beliefs and less likely to work together to find a solution.

Just doing SOMETHING doesn't mean that you're helping. Typically, insulting entire populations is not a positive step towards real change.

Who did that?

Who did that?

Kaepernick: won't stand to show pride for "a country that oppresses black people and people of color"

The United States contains over 300,000,000 people that were just called racists and insulted as a group. That probably makes most of them less sympathetic to what he is talking about.

Edited by vincec

Who did that?

Ummm Colin Kaepernick?

America is not a government, its the People. CK basically called 300 million people racist and told us all to F off. And apparently he will continue to tell us all to F off once a week for the season.

Kaepernick: won't stand to show pride for "a country that oppresses black people and people of color"

The United States contains over 300,000,000people that were just called racists and insulted as a group. That probably makes most of them less sympathetic to whatever you are talking about.

beat me to it :)

The United States contains over 300,000,000 people that were just called racists and insulted as a group. That probably makes most of them less sympathetic to what he is talking about.

Ummm Colin Kaepernick?

America is not a government, its the People. CK basically called 300 million people racist and told us all to F off. And apparently he will continue to tell us all to F off once a week for the season.

beat me to it :)

Yes! He literally meant every single citizen in the country. :lol:

Pretty much, yes. What he's saying is blacks are institutionally repressed and America doesn't care. The implication is we are all of us guilty of institutional racism. Or do you think he's just talking about the Administratiion? But wait, that wouldn't make sense...

Pretty much, yes. What he's saying is blacks are institutionally repressed and America doesn't care. The implication is we are all of us guilty of institutional racism. Or do you think he's just talking about the Administratiion? But wait, that wouldn't make sense...

Yes. Of course he meant every single man, woman, and child. Yes indeed. :lol:

@AlbertBreer

This is a really thoughtful view of Kaepernick's comments from @MalcolmJenkins http://tinyurl.com/zrsvohq

(via @pdomo)

Cq88fSEWYAA9q9l.jpg

Yes. Of course he meant every single man, woman, and child. Yes indeed. :lol:@AlbertBreer

This is a really thoughtful view of Kaepernick's comments from @MalcolmJenkins http://tinyurl.com/zrsvohq

(via @pdomo)

Cq88fSEWYAA9q9l.jpg

Now you sound like Trump- when Kaepernick said that America oppresses black people he didn't mean everyone. Only "bad" Americans I guess.

But how about responding to the essence of the post- is this act helping the situation or hurting it? Why? I gave my opinion and reasoning. I think the national reaction has shown that it's pretty sound. What's yours?

Edited by vincec

Couldn't sleep, got up, checked this forum for FOOTBALL talk.

Wondering WHY this post is still here, and hasn't been moved to the Politics, Polls, & Pundits sub forum. Moderators have the weekend off? LOL

FWIW, Kap is a pampered Idiot who undoubtedly has no clue as to the truth of race issues and "oppression" in this country.

You came for FOOTBALL & yet you choose to make your second post here. I find that curious.

If you'd like to discuss this in PPP where you can speak your mind then by all means feel free. Personally I find this conversation appropriate for any forum. With few exceptions people have discussed this topic in a respectful way.

Now you sound like Trump- when Kaepernick said that America oppresses black people he didn't mean everyone. Only "bad" Americans I guess.

But how about responding to the essence of the post- is this act helping the situation or hurting it? Why? I gave my opinion and reasoning. I think the national reaction has shown that it's pretty sound. What's yours?

Your literal interpretation of his stance being against individual citizens does not make any sense at all to me. It seems to me that you have no concept of institutional and/or systemic issues that he was protesting against.

Btw, I found that blog from last year by clicking on a link from the Mercury News, you know, the paper that covers the 49ers, which stated..."* Note: If you think Kaepernick’s social activism is coming out of the blue, you haven’t been paying attention to his Malcolm X hats or dozens of other things. Here’s my blog-item from last December."

Hats?? Not that's emabarrassing!

"social activism" used to equal at hat, now it's a National Anthem protest. What's next? A slogan on a Dolce and Gabbana tee shirt? Bold!

@SBNationNFL

Colin Kaepernick’s refusal to stand during the national anthem shouldn’t come as a surprise http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/27/12670584/nfl-colin-kaepernick-national-anthem

Cq7SG3aWYAAkhDg.jpg

Can he squeeze that quote onto a hat so we will know that his social activism didn't just come out of the blue?

Also, for accuracy, it should read "I just sat there on the bench for what is right".

He is clearly saying that the United States (represented as the Flag in his "protest") as a matter of rule and law in all of its institutions, from the Presidency on down, oppresses people of color.

What part of his explanation confused you?

Yes. Indeed. He said "America". Who do you think he is talking about?

It's not that difficult to understand. This is what he said

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color"

What he is saying is that the US, by in large is a country that is oppressive to black people and people of color. That the country itself is unjust and racist. So for those reasons, he believes that he shouldn't have to stand up for the National Anthem, essentially because it disgusts him that he would have to do such a thing.

He has every right to do that, that in itself is a demonstrable reason to why the country he loathes is one of the most just and free countries on the planet. Surely anyone who believes that a country is racist and oppressive must loathe it, right?

And while he has every right to believe in and say what he believes to be the case, I have the right to believe he is an uninformed asshat.

Hats?? Not that's emabarrassing!

"social activism" used to equal at hat, now it's a National Anthem protest. What's next? A slogan on a Dolce and Gabbana tee shirt? Bold!

Can he squeeze that quote onto a hat so we will know that his social activism didn't just come out of the blue?

Also, for accuracy, it should read "I just sat there on the bench for what is right".

He is clearly saying that the United States (represented as the Flag in his "protest") as a matter of rule and law in all of its institutions, from the Presidency on down, oppresses people of color.

What part of his explanation confused you?

I've already given my answer. Not playing your word twisting circular argument games. Next!

Eh, to each his own.

It's a silent, non-violent protest (he might want to switch to a MLK hat) that hurt no one.

I wonder if EJ will join him in his Million Backups March.

Edited by Gugny