Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Is it really that difficult for you to understand the reason for his protest?

You must live with blinders on. There is probably close to half this country that wholeheartedly supports the police no matter what the video evidence.

I won't reiterate my last 20 posts here, you can read them that will answer this question.

Also, I can't argue with made up data.

But what makes him a f'ing jerk is that it's difficult to take seriously the point that this country is oppressing black people when that point is being made by a black man who is being paid $19M a year to play a game.

If that's oppression, I'm a gonna git me some.

Are you serious? Do you really believe it's not possible that many African-Americans are discriminated against and oppressed, simply because a few black athletes in America are highly paid for their unique skills? Do you not see the fallacy of such a statement?

Those people do not have the unfortunate and unique experience of being exposed to the chattel slavery system that dehumanized them in every way to strip them of their culture and brutally treated them as property. He was standing up (by sitting down) for the descendants of those people who still suffer from the vestiges of that system. He picked his cause. Don't know what else to tell you.

Are you saying that Indians and Asians have had an easy life and are now benefiting from white privilege?

Those people do not have the unfortunate and unique experience of being exposed to the chattel slavery system that dehumanized them in every way to strip them of their culture and brutally treated them as property. He was standing up (by sitting down) for the descendants of those people who still suffer from the vestiges of that system. He picked his cause. Don't know what else to tell you.

If given the choice of not standing up for each of the personal anthems of the tens of millions of people he is referring to, I guarantee he would be sitting just for those anthems, and not the larger list of Americans whom he has no issue with. Unfortunately, that is not an option at this point in time.

He's producing a sound bite. He could have said "a flag for a country that has through its federal powers, law enforcement, and judiciary systematically oppressed and disenfranchised black people and people of color, historically and continuing into the present day" but that wouldn't tweet well, y'know?

Because it's impossible.

Are you saying that Indians and Asians have had an easy life and are now benefiting from white privilege?

I'm not saying that at all. I identified the cause he protested for and am not making any comparisons at all, but it seems as if you are. What's your point?

He doesn't actually believe in a lot of the stuff he protests, he just protests. It's meaningless and inconsequential and grandstanding. You know, like he protests about Kaepernick.

Not true! Unlike Kaep;s newfound outbursts, mine are genuine.

He just picked this cause now? In the 2016 preseason? Why didn't he pick this protest during the SB he played in? Wouldn't that have maximized the impact of his message?

Edited by Mr. WEO

i might be mistaken, but having stood for enough anthems, i seem to recall the line about the "land of the free."

so obviously heaven forbid someone having the freedom to express his or her opinion.

jw

He's allowed his opinion. Just like we're allowed to call him an !@#$.

He just picked this now? In the 2016 preseason? Why didn't he pick this protest during the SB he played in? Wouldn't that have maximized the impact of his message?

People evolve. Who knows why he picked this time to make his point. How the heck do you expect me to know?

I'm not saying that at all. I identified the cause he protested for and am not making any comparisons at all, but it seems as if you are. What's your point?

My point is you applauded a post that pretends to prove that white privilege exists, when compared blacks and Hispanics in the US. And that point is fully disproved if you include the non white Asian and Indian minorities in the US.

Why are those colorful demographics running laps around whites?

Edited by GG

I fought for this country side by side with blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, etc. People of all colors have died wearing the American uniform. When Kap refuses to honor the flag, he refuses to honor them. And that pisses me off.

I respect Kap for caring about injustice. I respect him for taking a stand. But I don't respect him for taking this stand. In my mind, he's disrespecting the folks I fought alongside in the Gulf War. The soldiers (minority/white/whatever) I served with are more impressive to me than Kap will ever be.

There are guys out there today in foreign lands risking their lives for the ideals of this country. There are activists in the streets foregoing wealth to work for social equality, medical access, and so on to make this country better. And while there are some bad cops out there, there are also plenty of good LEOs who lay it on the line for their communities every day. Kap, on the other hand, is living a life of luxury and at the same time complaining about injustice.

Instead of acting like a petulant child, why doesn't he man up and do something? If truly wants to make a difference, why doesn't he join a police force and become a force for equal treatment? Or donate his millions and his efforts to bring about social equality and justice?

And if that's too much for him, why can't he at least honor the people who do work to make America great by putting his hand over his heart during the National Anthem?

Sometimes my friends here influence my opinions. But not this time. I stand by what I originally posted.

Kap is disrespectful when he sits for the national anthem and disrespect is never the answer.

My point is you applauded a post that pretends to prove that white privilege exists, when compared blacks and Hispanics in the US. And that point is fully disproved if you include the non white Asian and Indian minorities in the US.

Why those colorful demographics running laps around whites?

Those groups have a completely different American experience that you seemingly want to discount.

I won't reiterate my last 20 posts here, you can read them that will answer this question.

Also, I can't argue with made up data.

Granted, I don't have actual statistics, but I feel pretty comfortable in saying the most people with an 'R' after their name will support the police no matter what. Just watch Fox news. They have high ratings.

People evolve. Who knows why he picked this time to make his point. How the heck do you expect me to know?

Who knows?? Was he not aware of the brutality of slavery and its lingering affect on its descendants while he was being lauded in the press as a young phenom?

He "evolved" coincidentally as he has started the season as the possibly rapidly washed up backup QB of the 49er? And after even the WNBA players had already made such a statement (following the NBA players)?

Amazing coincidence!

He just picked this now? In the 2016 preseason? Why didn't he pick this protest during the SB he played in? Wouldn't that have maximized the impact of his message?

1. It is mathematically impossible for any one person to have a genuine opinion about the Bills, and 99% of the time argue against whatever benefits or looks good on the Bills. Therefore, it's impossible to argue that you believe in what you protest.

2. You do realize, and know, that this BLM issue has been exponentially amplified in the national news and conversation in the last eight months since he has played.