Kaepernick and the National Anthem

i did. i'm just finishing my drink.

jw

There is no ocean of drink that can bouy the guilt of being born so white and preternaturally fortunate.

We will imagine you sitting in shame whenever you hear a live rendition of the national anthem of whatever white establishment country you find yourself in.

Carry that cross, my friend.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Seriously, what is the issue? The entire basis of this country is rooted in the freedoms of being able to say and express your beliefs. And those rights were established because the founders of our country were oppressed from their own country and felt we should always be allowed to speak out against our government and speak up for what we believe as citizens of this country. Those upset by his display clearly don't understand the very foundations of what this country was built on. They should be applauding this kid because not enough public people like him take a public stand for what they believe in.

And besides, in this era how can anyone dispute or argue that the African American culture has not had a fair shake in this country not only in our past but still in our present? I don't blame him for making a symbolic gesture that means something to him. I saw a caucasion speaker a couple weeks ago at an event I was at talk about the divide between minorities and caucasians in this country, and it was astonishing. We already know about the appalling prejudice in our legal systems, however, he wanted to see the success rates. So he studied all kinds of things related to success. For instance, he looked at how often they become millionaires with Post Graduate Degrees, College Degrees, High School Diplomas, and No Diplomas. The closest they ever got was Caucasians succeeding to reach those levels at 10 times more frequency than Hispanics and African Americans, and that was with Post Graduate Degrees. The other levels the difference void grew massively from 40 times less likely to almost 100 times less likely for those minorities compared to Caucasians. And these numbers were not based on illegal immigrants, these were all based on American born citizens.

This is just one example of about 30 different comparisons in many success studies where they were on equal footing where the lopsided difference was astonishing. The point is, there is mountains and mountains of statistical evidence about the lack of balance on so many levels between both the hispanic and African American communities compared to white americans.

Now add in that hysteria that the Trump campaign has created in racial divide, the alarming number of unnecessary deaths at the hands of law enforcement caught on tape, etc etc...and its not hard to understand how a young African American can feel that his community, his family, his friends, his heritage, etc are not getting a fair shake. So why should anyone be offended that he feels there needs to be change across this country (which there absolutely does) and made a symbolic gesture about it? A LOT has happened since the last time he was on a football field.

The things that frustrates me the most about all these hardcore "Americans" who get upset about this...they seem to forget the history of this country is VIOLENT...this country was built on the largest genocide in history of wiping out all the natives to this land. This country was then built on the backs of Asian and African American slaves. This country then fought itself in a civil war over the right to keep having slaves or not. This country is the only country in the world to ever use an Atomic Weapon...and we did it TWICE. This country still has a racist under belly present in both our communities and judicial systems. We may be the "greatest country" on Earth, but our hands are not free of blood...our closets aren't free of Skeletons...our Government and Judicial systems are not free of corruption...our citizens aren't free from injustices. But what we are free of, is the restriction of speech and expression...yet this kid is getting slammed unjustly for expressing his disappointment on how his people still face challenges in this country that others don't.

clap.gif

There is no ocean of drink that can bouy the guilt of being born so white and preternaturally fortunate.

We will imagine you sitting in shame whenever you hear a live rendition of the national anthem of whatever white establishment country you find yourself in.

Carry that cross, my friend.

one of these days you'll have an answer, and it'll still be wrong, but, hey, it'll be an answer. and i'll respect that answer just as much as i'll respect Colin Kaepernick's decision. not that you'll ever get it, but spare me the details, given that you have all the wrong answers.

i'd agree to disagree. but let's face it, if i agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jw

one of these days you'll have an answer, and it'll still be wrong, but, hey, it'll be an answer. and i'll respect that answer just as much as i'll respect Colin Kaepernick's decision. not that you'll ever get it, but spare me the details, given that you have all the wrong answers.

i'd agree to disagree. but let's face it, if i agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jw

I really don't understand why my questions should be so hard to answer. If you really think that all white Americans are more fortunate than all black Americans, de facto, then you are saying Kaep's mother, abandoned by his father, was more fortunate than her millionaire pro football playing son who has just come to realize that this country oppresses him and others of color.

There, saved you the trouble of further evasion.

Your painting into a corner reference was impressive as irony only.

clap.gif

And as long as you're putting on that smiley, what would the speaker's data say if he compared whites to Asians and to those East Indian descent, who are also much darker than Caucasians?

You do indeed. Now why exactly is he an uninformed moron?

It's the part where he equates racist Americans with "a country" that oppresses blacks and people of color.

If he said the law enforcement and judicial systems that oppress blacks, would you feel better about that statement?

If he said the law enforcement and judicial systems that oppress blacks, would you feel better about that statement?

yes, but then there would have been no reason for him to sit because this country does not condone that, so your question isn't relevant.

Or you could read his own explanation...

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,"

Is it really that difficult for you to understand the reason for his protest?

yes, but then there would have been no reason for him to sit because this country does not condone that, so your question isn't relevant.

You must live with blinders on. There is probably close to half this country that wholeheartedly supports the police no matter what the video evidence.

And as long as you're putting on that smiley, what would the speaker's data say if he compared whites to Asians and to those East Indian descent, who are also much darker than Caucasians?

Those people do not have the unfortunate and unique experience of being exposed to the chattel slavery system that dehumanized them in every way to strip them of their culture and brutally treated them as property. He was standing up (by sitting down) for the descendants of those people who still suffer from the vestiges of that system. He picked his cause. Don't know what else to tell you.

Or you could read his own explanation...

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,"

He's producing a sound bite. He could have said "a flag for a country that has through its federal powers, law enforcement, and judiciary systematically oppressed and disenfranchised black people and people of color, historically and continuing into the present day" but that wouldn't tweet well, y'know?