Kaepernick and the National Anthem

You dont think he'll be boo'd and protests will happen in the protest capital of the US?

I used to live in SF. It's an interesting place. Old school Niners fans will definitely boo him. There's still a sizeable military presence in the Bay Area and lots of vets. I'm not sure how things have changed since the move to Santa Clara, but my guess is there's still a contingent that won't be 100% behind Kap's silent/seated protest.

The flag is a symbol of freedom

That's your opinion. According to Kaep, the flag is a symbol of racism. To me, the flag symbolizes brussel sprouts. And I hate brussel sprouts. Therefore, going forward I'm no longer going to salute the flag or stand in respect for the national anthem. Buncha brussel sprout lovers.

Affirmative action, equal opportunity legislation, welfare, the fact that we elected a black president...twice...the fact that black athletes get paid millions, the fact we fought a war over slavery, the popularity of hip hop, hate crime legislation, political correctness, voting district legislation, a sympathetic news media that plays up cop shootings but plays down black on black violence, the public school system, black scholarships, black magazines, black TV stations, black film festivals...and so on...but this tool certainly has the right to not honor the flag that people died for, so tools like him could have rights like that, all while making millions.

Affirmative action, equal opportunity legislation, welfare, the fact that we elected a black president...twice...the fact that black athletes get paid millions, the fact we fought a war over slavery, the popularity of hip hop, hate crime legislation, political correctness, voting district legislation, a sympathetic news media that plays up cop shootings but plays down black on black violence, the public school system, black scholarships, black magazines, black TV stations, black film festivals...and so on...but this tool certainly has the right to not honor the flag that people died for, so tools like him could have rights like that, all while making millions.

Not enough. BLM wants reparations.

Hats?? Not that's emabarrassing!

"social activism" used to equal at hat, now it's a National Anthem protest. What's next? A slogan on a Dolce and Gabbana tee shirt? Bold!

Can he squeeze that quote onto a hat so we will know that his social activism didn't just come out of the blue?

Also, for accuracy, it should read "I just sat there on the bench for what is right".

He is clearly saying that the United States (represented as the Flag in his "protest") as a matter of rule and law in all of its institutions, from the Presidency on down, oppresses people of color.

What part of his explanation confused you?

Your responses over his response to the anthem is as telling as his act of sitting down. You are getting carried away! I have no problem with you disagreeing with his behavior. But you are treating his behavior as if it was an act of sedition. It wasn't. His act certainly was a public act of protest but you are treating it as an act of betrayal to his country. It's not.

Pretty much, yes. What he's saying is blacks are institutionally repressed and America doesn't care. The implication is we are all of us guilty of institutional racism. Or do you think he's just talking about the Administratiion? But wait, that wouldn't make sense...

When you say America is great, or generous, are you saying that all Americans are great or generous?

In the US of A, it's your God given right to be a Kaeperdick. And it's my God given right to lose any respect for the man.

This pretty much sums it up. Except you are racist if you say bad things about BLM.

At that point your opinion is some form of hate and is unacceptable in America. :lol:

Hats?? Not that's emabarrassing!

"social activism" used to equal at hat, now it's a National Anthem protest. What's next? A slogan on a Dolce and Gabbana tee shirt?

It must suck to always be wrong. You come on and complain all day that this came up out of nowhere and was recent, and then the guy who actually covers the team says if you think this came out of nowhere you haven't been paying attention because there has been dozens of things he has done similar, even last season and maybe before as well.

Please explain how questioning his inked up body is an example of institutional racism?

I would imagine that the vast, vast majority of people automatically assumed that the tats, because he had so many, were some example of street cred or thug type. But they are all religious based.

It must suck to always be wrong. You come on and complain all day that this came up out of nowhere and was recent, and then the guy who actually covers the team says if you think this came out of nowhere you haven't been paying attention because there has been dozens of things he has done similar, even last season and maybe before as well.

I would imagine that the vast, vast majority of people automatically assumed that the tats, because he had so many, were some example of street cred or thug type. But they are all religious based.

You do realize that many street cred thug types also have many religious tat's, right? Did you even listen to rap in 2006? Edited by FireChan

You do realize that many street cred thug types also have many religious tat's, right? Did you even listen to rap in 2006?

Of course I know that. And yet he has none. And it doesn't take anything away from everyone, including myself, automatically thinking it was some street cred.

When you say America is great, or generous, are you saying that all Americans are great or generous?

I would say by and large, yes. On a relative basis, the U.S is an extremely generous country. There are ways of measuring that and the U.S consistently proves that to be the case.

Great is more of a subjective term so that is a little more debatable. --- ipso facto if someone says America (you fill in the blank) in this case is an oppressive country, they aren't saying everyone, but the express intent is an explicit admission that they believe by and large the country generally is an oppressive one.

To me this is clear, if you believe that there are elements of truth in his statement, then the more correct response would be to say that Kap misspoke and unfairly overgeneralized by lumping in his fellow citizens of this charge. rather than continuing to go down this rabbit hole and attempting to interpret his intended meaning.

I would say by and large, yes. On a relative basis, the U.S is an extremely generous country. There are ways of measuring that and the U.S consistently proves that to be the case.

Great is more of a subjective term so that is a little more debatable. --- ipso facto if someone says America (you fill in the blank) in this case is an oppressive country, they aren't saying everyone, but the express intent is an explicit admission that they believe by and large the country generally is an oppressive one.

To me this is clear, if you believe that there are elements of truth in his statement, then the more correct response would be to say that Kap misspoke and unfairly overgeneralized by lumping in his fellow citizens of this charge. rather than continuing to go down this rabbit hole and attempting to interpret his intended meaning.

I would imagine that the vast majority of non-whites in this country, and a great number of whites, think that "by and large, the country is kinda racist."

He has no tats? What?

Try to have a normal conversation and not be an ass. Edited by Kelly the Dog