Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Everybody expresses bad behavior from time to time, but God forbid try and and correct it by acting like the nervous white guy (bossman in the chicken suit) who attempts to have skin in the game. That gets labeled as uncool.

There in lies the problem. How do you get the feckless (whenever I think of that word, I think of the lyrics posted below) of any color, race, etc... to start taking pride in the nation, their community, and their family? Thats where Colin carry the torch behind his refusing to stand. We will see, or will he take his $$$ & run away?

It gets me to think of the song by The Clash (yes, The Clash): Rudy Can't Fail. Read the inspiration behind the lyrics by doing a Google search.

Many parts of society (not just AA community, but very predominant)...

"Sing, Michael, sing-on the route of the 19 Bus

Hear them sayin'

How you get a rude and a reckless?

Don't you be so crude and a feckless

You been drinking brew for breakfast

Rudie can't fail

So we reply

I know that my life make you nervous

But I tell you that I can't live in service

Like the doctor who was born for a purpose

Rudie can't fail

I WENT TO THE MARKET TO REALISE MY SOUL

'CAUSE WHAT I NEED I JUST DON'T HAVE

FIRST THEY CURSE, THEN THEY PRESS ME TILL I HURT

WE SAY RUDIE CAN'T FAIL

We hear them sayin'

Now first you must cure your temper

Then you find a job in the paper

You need someone for a saviour

Oh, Rudie can't fail

We reply

Now we get a rude and a reckless

We been seen lookin' cool an' a speckless

We been drinking brew for breakfast

So Rudie can't fail

Okay!

So where you wanna go today?

Hey boss man!

You're looking pretty smart

In your chicken skin suit

You think you're pretty hot

In your pork pie hat

But...Rudie can't fail

Look out, look out...

Sky juice!...10 cents a bottle!"

You can challenge the status quo, but when do you start taking pride in what kind of society the change has brought about? Where are the stewards taking ownership?

This is where I get very conservative after pushing for social change. Pass on the light, become the stewards of your change.

I knew I shouldn't have agreed with you on something..........Now I have no idea what you're talking about.

I knew I shouldn't have agreed with you on something..........Now I have no idea what you're talking about.

I really had no idea what you were talking about either @ first. So I tried after looking at your post for its face value and sorta spun it off.

I know this stuff is hard to understand, but try. Don't make assumptions about anybody or anything, dig a little deeper. The lyrics I posted above aren't suppose to be take exactly in the words they were written. But look @ them in general on how society balances itself between the status quo and what it needs to achieve progressive change. Now even better 50 years past the context and 30+ years since it was written. Use things in cultural as historical reference.

Essayons! Aka... Just try!

Peace...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Someone please link he timeline and story frm Charlotte observer

Black cop shoots armed man and kills him after refusing to obey.

Riots. Looting. I85 shjt down. Trailers robbed. cars damaged. 12 officers injured

It'll get worse. NC is a battlegrd state. Dems will flare this up

You shall obey!

Drop your weapon and disarm, by order of the gov't!

Nothing like putting Pack v. Vikes together. What could be worse for Sunday night ratings... Pack v. Bills?

Just always have a Big Market team on Sunday night.

Packers are one of the top three most popular teams in the NFL :wallbash:

Smallest market. Biggest fanbase. Sure they are popular and scattered all over the place. Does that mean they tune in?

I like the Pack... I am not watching on Sunday Night.

Pack has biggest fanbase in league, but smallest market. Somehow that doesn't equate to tuning in.

Smallest market. Biggest fanbase. Sure they are popular and scattered all over the place. Does that mean they tune in?

Pack has biggest fanbase in league, but smallest market. Somehow that doesn't equate to tuning in.

Your posts. Are like......

:blink:

In any case, http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tom-blumer/2016/09/21/nfls-rating-dive-continues-poll-shows-players-national-anthem-antics?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=marketing&utm_campaign=nfl-ratings

Kap is wonderful for the NFL.

I'm not a big fan of putting someone on ignore because it's easy to drown out all opposing thoughts, but there are no thoughts -- opposing or otherwise -- from Exiled. There are simply obscure ramblings leading to a long copy/paste of lyrics in which there is the very slight chance of finding a buried point.

It's like giving up smoking dope. It's easy to do and it doesn't take long for you to realize it's the truest form of addition by subtraction.

I'm not a big fan of putting someone on ignore because it's easy to drown out all opposing thoughts, but there are no thoughts -- opposing or otherwise -- from Exiled. There are simply obscure ramblings leading to a long copy/paste of lyrics in which there is the very slight chance of finding a buried point.

It's like giving up smoking dope. It's easy to do and it doesn't take long for you to realize it's the truest form of addition by subtraction.

He seems if I may steal a phrase from Obama, a likable enough person. I just have no !@#$ing clue what he says.....

EVER!

He seems if I may steal a phrase from Obama, a likable enough person. I just have no !@#$ing clue what he says.....

EVER!

Which is why every time he posts something, it's easier to see this:

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by ExiledInIllinois.

Short. To the point. Makes sense.

"I'll take Things You Never See In An Exiled Post for $200, Alex.

Which is why every time he posts something, it's easier to see this:

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by ExiledInIllinois.

Short. To the point. Makes sense.

"I'll take Things You Never See In An Exiled Post for $200, Alex.

Now if it said "This post is hidden because ExiledinIllinois makes no sense," I'd put him on ignore in a heartbeat.

Got it - they have the most fans, but they just don't watch the games. Weird fans.......

DISPATCHES FROM THE “IT’S DIFFERENT WHEN WE DO IT” PARTY:

Shot: Colin Kaepernick Had No Choice but to Kneel.”

Time magazine, which put Kaepernick on its cover this week after he refused to stand for the National Anthem

Chaser: “The Seattle Mariners suspended Steve Clevenger without pay for the remainder of the season, moving swiftly Friday to discipline their backup catcher after his set of tweets imploring that protestors in Charlotte should be ‘locked behind bars like animals.’”

USA Today, yesterday.

The-Speech-Police-Strike-Again.jpg

I want Mr. Kaepernick and others who are on a knee to listen to the pain that that may cause somebody who, for example, had a spouse or a child who was killed in combat and why it hurts them to see somebody not standing, I also want people to think about the pain he may be expressing about somebody who's lost a loved one that they think was unfairly shot. One of thing I saw about American democracy is that it can be frustrating, but it’s the best system we’ve got.

Obama, yesterday.

That's...an awfully reasonable statement, actually.

Scenes from the new Broadway hit!

"Attention, attention must finally be paid to such a person!"

Act I: Police as Willy Loman

"I don't say he's a great man. Willie Loman never made a lot of money. His name was never in the paper. He's not the finest character that ever lived. But he's a human being, and a terrible thing is happening to him. So attention must be paid. He's not to be allowed to fall in his grave like an old dog. Attention, attention must finally be paid to such a person.

Linda, regarding Willy Loman."

What? Police in LA want to be like Sally Field now. That's a shock. LMAO. Don't worry Act II is on its way.

Act II: The Police are loved

post-1877-0-01256300-1475183293_thumb.jpg

This is a familiar pattern that goes all the way back to Obama’s second book, Audacity of Hope, which is almost entirely a string of sing-song setups on issues. Some people say red, but some people say yellow. I say … orange.

Obama long ago mastered the politician’s rhetorical trick to make people believe that he’s on their side, no matter which side they’re on.

As intended, this is an answer that will allow everyone to hear what they want to hear. (In this case, we don’t even get the orange.) Are you cheering Kaepernick’s protest? Then you’ll get the same message as in CNN’s headline on this tweet — Obama defends Kaepernick’s right to protest. Angry over the disrespect Kaepernick shows the flag and the anthem? Then you’ll gravitate toward The Hill’s headline, Obama: Kaepernick should think about pain he could cause with protest.

In this case, though, Obama’s right on both counts. Kaepernick has the right to protest in a disrespectful way, and it clearly disrespects a moment of unity that allows us to come together as Americans to enjoy the escape of sports from our increasingly over-politicized lives.

The rest of us have the right to express our disdain for his antics and stop watching his team on television. Besides, Kaepernick’s not the problem; the NFL is, which holds teams and players to ridiculous standards on speech on the field in everything but the national anthem. If the NFL really was committed to free speech and protest, they wouldn’t have threatened fines for those who wanted to wear shoes that commemorated 9/11 and vetoed a planned commemoration of five Dallas police officers who gave their lives to protect free speech.

It’s the hypocrisy that’s turning off football fans, and turning off TVs.

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/09/29/obama-maybe-kaepernick-rethink-form-protest/

Ref makes outrageous ‘shooting a bow and arrow’ call for Josh Norman’s penalty

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/10/josh-norman-ref-bow-and-arrow-penalty-jeff-triplette-redskins-browns

Josh Norman really got into the celebration following his first interception of the season, but referee Jeff Triplette’s call of the penalty was more memorable than the actual celebration.

Norman mimicked shooting off a bow and arrow, which drew an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty because the NFL hates celebrations.

When it came time to announce the penalty, Triplette called Norman out specifically for his “shooting a bow and arrow.”

That’s a first.

Norman was upset about the penalty on the sidelines, and he had good reason. The NFL rulebook bans a lot of celebrations, but surprisingly, “shooting a bow and arrow” isn’t listed.

Now, I dislike taunting and showboating as much as the next old fart. But Norman wasn’t taunting anyone. He made his gesture on or near the Redskins sideline. Yes, it was showy. But shouldn’t NFL players be allowed to have a little fun?

These guys play a tremendously difficult sport under a huge amount of pressure. Their mistakes (especially those of a cornerback like Norman) are there for all to see, dissect, and denounce.

But honestly, is death by bow and arrow a problem in America? I don’t think so.

Edited by B-Man