Walter Powell

Coach55

For this training camp and preseason games, Powell is doing everything in his power to make this team. He has been all over the place, both in effort and results. Could he be an overlooked gem from a subpar FCS school that just hasn't gotten a fair shake as a result of his pedigree? Does he have the upside potential to be a #3 or even a #2? I would love to get the takes of people who have been seeing him at practice on a consistent basis.

Ancillary follow on. Not to make a direct comparison, but other recent players who didn't get a fair shake as a result of their pedigree:

Fred Jackson - question what his stats would have been had he been the starter from Day 1, even at his advanced age of 26.

Joique Bell - never got a fair shake, but did have a productive few seasons in Detroit

Chris Hogan - I am sad to see this guy go. I am truly afraid of how Belichick and Brady are going to use him. I honestly think he is going to put up Wes Welker type stats this year.

Last year Deonte Thompson was seemingly doing more than Powell and yet he didn't make the team and no one put him on their roster and played him. This year, allegedly he is doing the same thing for another team (The Bears?), who have a shaky WR corps. See what happens with both.

I think Powell makes the team depending on if Bush is the KR or not.

whats tough with these threads is that few of us (myself included) are great with the "his footwork through the break on his in route in the 3rd quarter was a little sloppy and would keep him from gaining separation against a starting corner" and rely on "i saw him make a catch" as the standard of success.

whats tough with these threads is that few of us (myself included) are great with the "his footwork through the break on his in route in the 3rd quarter was a little sloppy and would keep him from gaining separation against a starting corner" and rely on "i saw him make a catch" as the standard of success.

I hear that, but he wouldn't be open to make the catch if he didn't somehow create separation.

Given that past Watkins and Woods nobody has distinguished himself and that Goodwin cant stay healthy....this year I would say that is prob not true and that he makes the team.

I also think Little makes it

Easley is likely PUP, as is Listenbee. Chances are that three of the non Watkins, Woods, Goodwin guys are going to make it. It could easily be Salas, Little and Powell, especially if they don't want Bush as a KR

Last year Deonte Thompson was seemingly doing more than Powell and yet he didn't make the team and no one put him on their roster and played him. This year, allegedly he is doing the same thing for another team (The Bears?), who have a shaky WR corps. See what happens with both.

I think Powell makes the team depending on if Bush is the KR or not.

Not quite. Bills got caught in a bind when Thompson got hurt late in camp and was waived/injured. They Ird him but then reached an injury settlement. He was claimed by Bears for their practice squad a week later. He played a bit towards the end of the season and impressed them. Everything I'm reading is they expect him to make a larger contribution this year.

Kind of like Kamar Aiken's story a few years back.

Not quite. Bills got caught in a bind when Thompson got hurt late in camp and was waived/injured. They Ird him but then reached an injury settlement. He was claimed by Bears for their practice squad a week later. He played a bit towards the end of the season and impressed them. Everything I'm reading is they expect him to make a larger contribution this year.

Kind of like Kamar Aiken's story a few years back.

Good point.

Ancillary follow on. Not to make a direct comparison, but other recent players who didn't get a fair shake as a result of their pedigree:

Fred Jackson - question what his stats would have been had he been the starter from Day 1, even at his advanced age of 26.

Joique Bell - never got a fair shake, but did have a productive few seasons in Detroit

Chris Hogan - I am sad to see this guy go. I am truly afraid of how Belichick and Brady are going to use him. I honestly think he is going to put up Wes Welker type stats this year.

Don't be ridiculous, Coach. Don't you understand that you are even in the wrong just for thinking that, let alone posting it?! Don't you understand that he is a douche?! Don't you understand that he stinks even though he played through a painful hand injury last year?! Don't you understand he put up reasonable numbers for a third WR with three different QBs in three years and should be chided for this?!

...and finally, don't you understand he is a douche?!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Don't be ridiculous, Coach. Don't you understand that you are even in the wrong just for thinking that, let alone posting it?! Don't you understand that he is a douche?! Don't you understand that he stinks even though he played through a painful hand injury last year?! Don't you understand he put up reasonable numbers for a third WR with three different QBs in three years and should be chided for this?!

More like "don't you realize he's just not that good" and "he'll probably follow in the footsteps of other Bills who went to the Cheaters."

The bills should definately have given him "a gizzilon dollars" to stay even though they have more talented players they need to sign.

https://youtu.be/jTmXHvGZiSY

Just to be clear, it's not an every play thing. But it's still not great. Makes him hard to trust out there.

True, but do you want a receiver that needs to be told what to do and does it or receiver that doesn't need to be told and is incapable of creating separation?

Not saying the others are incapable but Powell just looks more capable even if he's being told what to do.

Hogan isn't that good. He's a great athlete that will get some yards but he's not going to be Brady's 1st 2nd or 3rd read on most plays. Too many players ahead of him.

I have most of his plays cut up and will have a video breakdown tomorrow. I think he makes the roster.

Thank you kind sir...

Hogan isn't that good. He's a great athlete that will get some yards but he's not going to be Brady's 1st 2nd or 3rd read on most plays. Too many players ahead of him.

It's a bonus we don't have to play him on special teams anymore.

He is getting grief from Coach for not getting the " little" things sorted. His one handed grab shows he is talented enough. He looks shifty has game speed.

Doesn't know where to line up? JESUS CHRIST, POWELL!!

You sound like Rex and Roman.

well done!

I have most of his plays cut up and will have a video breakdown tomorrow. I think he makes the roster.

Then what is Rex's play here?

smoke? or motivational?

Looking forward to it E !

True, but do you want a receiver that needs to be told what to do and does it or receiver that doesn't need to be told and is incapable of creating separation?

Not saying the others are incapable but Powell just looks more capable even if he's being told what to do.

If other players are constantly having to instruct him they aren't concentrating on what they need to do. And if it happens to be in a hurry up situation, he could slow everything down and that is a no no. If Rex is pointing out this issue then it is a serious issue. Coaches, at any level, are not prone to cut players who can help their teams win games.

Rex Ryan's take on Powell:

@Spencito6

Rex says that for as good as Walter Powell has been, they'd liked to see more consistency from him...clearly he saw things I haven't #Bills

Well you are good at posting links, so there is that.

Had a penalty and mishandled a punt and basically hasn't ACTUALLY made a big play.

This is kinda' like effusive the Kujo praise while Kujo had given up a sack, a QB hit and another TFL in the run game.

I noted Powell as a guy who helped himself in game one but was expecting him to build on that and separate himself against some of the camp fodder cornerbacks he is facing and he really didn't.

I would add Jabari Greer (Undrafted) to that list. A lot of us (including me) were clamoring for him to play much sooner than he did. Jauron was eventually forced to play him due to FA losses, and he shined. But he had to sit on the bench for 4 years basically.

He is getting grief from Coach for not getting the " little" things sorted. His one handed grab shows he is talented enough. He looks shifty has game speed.

You sound like Rex and Roman.

well done!

Then what is Rex's play here?

smoke? or motivational?

Looking forward to it E !

Motivation. Rex knows that Powell could contribute in the slot for us. This is to see who pushes through the preseason plateau and who doesn't.

I like Powell. I hope he makes the roster. He reminds me a bit of Troy Brown.

I think Powell has been the most consistent of the guys fighting for one of the wr positions. When I saw him at camp he definitely stood out more than the others.