Our medical staff

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a bunch of men 220-370 pounds running full speed into eachother and falling all over eachother. What the hell you thinks going to happen? Things are going to break, bodies are going to ache, brains are going to get scrambled. The only time teams and fans complain about is injuries is when your losing. Go out and win some games and no one will be posting about Ragland.

Only complaint or suggestion I'd make is when a guy shows up fat and out of shape run him for the entire camp. Ragland looked like he was smuggling donuts in the back of his pants, MD looks like he had the rest of Ragland's donuts in his Moobs. Brandon Spikes is in better shape than both of them and the only football he has played is on PlayStation.

Edited by Commonsense

You have a bunch of men 220-370 pounds running full speed into eachother and falling all over eachother. What the hell you thinks going to happen? Things are going to break, bodies are going to ache, brains are going to get scrambled. The only time teams and fans complain about is injuries is when your losing. Go out and win some games and no one will be posting about Ragland.

Only complaint or suggestion I'd make is when a guy shows up fat and out of shape run him for the entire camp. Ragland looked like he was smuggling donuts in the back of his pants, MD looks like he had the rest of Ragland's donuts in his Moobs. Brandon Spikes is in better shape than both of them and the only football he has played is on PlayStation.

agree

So you can't go from a partial tear to a full tear from not treating it properly. You should make sure everyone knows this doc.

The poster I followed was responding to your contention that the Bills shouldn't have let Ragland walk off the field. Specifically you made the statement "1. Rather than use precaution they let Ragland walk of the field on his own with a partially torn ACL. Even though it was a non contact injury which almost always involves a tear of some sort."

Depends upon ancillary injuries, but people can walk around (with reasonable care) on even fully torn ligaments without causing further damage. That's a fact.

That fact does not imply or support the statement "you can't go from a partial tear to a full tear by not treating it properly". That is a non-sequitor and a straw man. You can, of course, but walking straight ahead has a low probability of this, especially once a careful evaluation has been performed IOW it is not generally considered to be "not treating it properly"

But pray, proceed - since you appear to be on a nice little crusade here.

PS while you're asserting your medical knowledge, would you care to source your statement that "non contact injuries almost always involve a tear of some sort"? Thanks!

Partial tear? It's a grade 2 sprain.

Tom, that's what makes it a grade 2 sprain, you know that right? Stretched and partially torn ligaments with some instability but a definite end point = grade 2?

Edited by Hopeful

My gut is this thread is born out of the frustration of injuries, but that is the NFL. Watch training camp on the NFLN. Teams all over the league are dealing with injuries. I can buy the split field may have encouraged more soft tissue injuries at the beginning of last year as Rex stated in an interview. I was actually impressed with his candor over that decision.

I'm not a doctor, but in the medical field for 18 years, and been in surgery, interventional procedures for most of this time. It is kind of silly for lay people to debate over things like whether you can walk off a field with an ACL tear. If you've watched the NFL for some time, then you have watched more than enough games where a guy walks off the field in a game, and nods up with an ACL tear. I'll give you one example with Tyron Matthews last year. Their medical staff allowed him to walk off the field and he had a full tear.

I know we're all frustrated with these injuries, but he medical staff is not causing the injuries. It is simply monstrous guys with freakish speed going all out to make a living and some get hurt. The only culpability is when you have a guy like Karlos Williams coming to camp 25 lbs. overweight. That's unacceptable, and on him. He's at risk to get hurt, so the medical staff wisely chose for him basically to get in shape vs. practicing and getting hurt.

I still think all these ligament injuries the league has been seeing in modern times is due to the amount of muscle players are putting on their bodies. But I'm not a doctor, so I guess I'll just say the Bills suck because a guy sprained something or whatever.

The only recent thing I'd have issue with the medical staff for is clearing Lawson pre-draft saying he wouldn't need surgery while other teams moved him down because they knew he'd need to go under the knife sometime soon.

Arizona Cardinals
Date	Pos	Player	Injury	NFL Status	Fantasy News
08/01/16	WR	John Brown	Head	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/30/16	DL	Red Bryant	Achilles	QUESTIONABLE	Questionable for start of season
07/30/16	DB	Mike Jenkins	Hand	QUESTIONABLE	Questionable for start of season
07/30/16	DL	Robert Nkemdiche	Ankle	QUESTIONABLE	Questionable for start of season
Atlanta Falcons
04/27/16	DB	Jalen Collins	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended until Week 5 at Denver
Baltimore Ravens
08/04/16	DL	Bronson Kaufusi	Ankle	DOUBTFUL	Doubtful for start of season
08/01/16	WR	Chris Moore	Foot	QUESTIONABLE	Questionable for start of season
07/29/16	TE	Crockett Gillmore	Hamstring	QUESTIONABLE	Questionable for start of season
07/28/16	RB	Kenneth Dixon	Knee	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/05/16	WR	Darren Waller	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended until Week 5 vs. Washington
04/27/16	TE	Nick Boyle	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended until Week 12 vs. Cincinnati
Buffalo Bills
08/08/16	DL	Marcell Dareus	Undisclosed	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
08/08/16	LB	Reggie Ragland	Knee	DOUBTFUL	Doubtful for start of season
08/08/16	WR	Sammy Watkins	Foot	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
08/08/16	DL	Kyle Williams	Knee	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/29/16	LB	Manny Lawson	Upper body	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
07/29/16	WR	Kolby Listenbee	Undisclosed	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
07/18/16	RB	Karlos Williams	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended until Week 5 at Los Angeles
Carolina Panthers
07/31/16	DL	Kony Ealy	Head	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/31/16	DB	Leonard Johnson	Undisclosed	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
Chicago Bears
08/04/16	WR	Alshon Jeffery	Hamstring	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
08/04/16	LB	Danny Trevathan	Knee	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
08/01/16	TE	Zach Miller	Head	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
08/01/16	WR	Eddie Royal	Head	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
Cincinnati Bengals
08/02/16	DB	William Jackson	Chest	DOUBTFUL	Doubtful for start of season
08/02/16	TE	Tyler Kroft	Knee	QUESTIONABLE	Questionable for start of season
04/27/16	LB	Vontaze Burfict	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended until Week 4 vs. Miami
Cleveland Browns
08/08/16	TE	Gary Barnidge	Hernia	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
08/03/16	WR	Andrew Hawkins	Hamstring	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/28/16	DL	Desmond Bryant	Chest	NFI	NFI. Out for season
07/25/16	WR	Josh Gordon	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended until Week 5 vs. New England
07/11/16	LB	Armonty Bryant	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended until Week 5 vs. New England
Dallas Cowboys
08/05/16	LB	Andrew Gachkar	Thumb	DOUBTFUL	Doubtful for start of season
08/03/16	RB	Ezekiel Elliott	Hamstring	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
08/03/16	QB	Kellen Moore	Ankle	DOUBTFUL	Doubtful for season
08/01/16	DL	Tyrone Crawford	Back	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/30/16	TE	Gavin Escobar	Achilles	QUESTIONABLE	Questionable for start of season
07/29/16	RB	Darren McFadden	Elbow	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
07/29/16	LB	Damien Wilson	Undisclosed	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
07/28/16	LB	Jaylon Smith	Knee	NFI	NFI. Doubtful for season
07/01/16	DL	Demarcus Lawrence	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended until Week 5 vs. Cincinnati
Denver Broncos
07/28/16	LB	DeMarcus Ware	Back	NFI	NFI. Probable for start of season
07/27/16	DB	Aqib Talib	Leg	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
Detroit Lions
08/06/16	TE	Eric Ebron	Achilles	QUESTIONABLE	Questionable for start of season
08/04/16	RB	Theo Riddick	Undisclosed	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/30/16	RB	Ameer Abdullah	Shoulder	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/29/16	LB	DeAndre Levy	Undisclosed	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
Green Bay Packers
No Injuries Reported
Houston Texans
No Injuries Reported
Indianapolis Colts
07/26/16	DB	Clayton Geathers	Foot	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
07/22/16	DL	Arthur Jones	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended until Week 5 at Houston
Jacksonville Jaguars
07/29/16	DB	Mike Hilton	Undisclosed	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
07/29/16	WR	Marqise Lee	Hamstring	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/29/16	RB	T.J. Yeldon	Hamstring	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/11/16	DB	Aaron Colvin	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended until Week 6 at Chicago
04/30/15	WR	Justin Blackmon	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended indefinitely
Kansas City Chiefs
No Injuries Reported
Los Angeles Rams
07/31/16	WR	Stedman Bailey	Head	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
Miami Dolphins
08/05/16	WR	DeVante Parker	Hamstring	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/31/16	DL	Dion Jordan	Undisclosed	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
Minnesota Vikings
07/30/16	WR	Cordarrelle Patterson	Shoulder	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/29/16	QB	Taylor Heinicke	Foot	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
New England Patriots
08/07/16	WR	Julian Edelman	Foot	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
08/03/16	WR	Chris Hogan	Shoulder	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/11/16	TE	Michael Williams	Knee	OUT	Out for the season
04/27/16	QB	Tom Brady	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended until Week 5 at Cleveland
New Orleans Saints
07/31/16	WR	Vincent Brown	Undisclosed	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
New York Giants
08/02/16	WR	Odell Beckham	Ankle	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
New York Jets
08/08/16	RB	Khiry Robinson	Leg	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/11/16	DB	Darrelle Revis	Wrist	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
06/30/16	DL	Sheldon Richardson	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended until Week 2 at Buffalo
Oakland Raiders
07/11/16	LB	Aldon Smith	Suspension	SUSPEND	Eligible to apply for reinstatement in November
04/27/16	RB	Marcel Reece	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended until Week 5 vs. San Diego
Philadelphia Eagles
08/05/16	RB	Ryan Mathews	Ankle	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
Pittsburgh Steelers
08/02/16	DB	Senquez Golson	Foot	DOUBTFUL	Doubtful for start of season
07/28/16	DL	DeVaunte Sigler	Undisclosed	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
03/14/16	WR	Martavis Bryant	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended for 2016 season
San Diego Chargers
08/01/16	WR	Steve Johnson	Knee	DOUBTFUL	Doubtful for start of season
Seattle Seahawks
08/07/16	RB	Thomas Rawls	Ankle	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
08/01/16	RB	C.J. Prosise	Hamstring	PROBABLE	Probable for start of season
07/31/16	TE	Cooper Helfet	Foot	QUESTIONABLE	Questionable for start of season
San Francisco 49ers
07/31/16	DB	Jaquiski Tartt	Leg	NFI	NFI. Probable for start of season
07/30/16	DL	Ian Williams	Ankle	NFI	NFI. Questionable for start of season
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
No Injuries Reported
Tennessee Titans
08/05/16	DB	Marqueston Huff	Suspension	SUSPEND	Eligible to return Week 2 at Detroit
08/04/16	WR	Kendall Wright	Hamstring	QUESTIONABLE	Questionable for start of season
08/01/16	LB	Aaron Wallace	Ankle	QUESTIONABLE	Questionable for start of season
04/27/16	WR	Andrew Turzilli	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended until Week 5 at Miami
Washington Redskins
07/28/16	LB	Junior Galette	Achilles	NFI	NFI. Out for season
04/27/16	RB	Silas Redd	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended indefinitely
07/09/14	DB	Tanard Jackson	Suspension	SUSPEND	Suspended indefinitely
Updated: Tue Aug 9 08:38:27 EDT 2016

Injury Categories

PUP - Physically Unable to Perform
    IR - Injured Reserve
    OUT - Definitely will not play
    Doubtful - 75 percent chance will not play
    Questionable - 50/50 chance of playing
    Probable - Virtual certainty of playing

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries

I can't remember serious injuries when the Bills practice inside the field center. Does it have a/c?

Out in the heat mistakes happen . JMO

In seriousness, the stat I'd like to see is how teams that practice and play on grass compare to teams that practice and play on turf, for injuries to the ankle and knee. I've seen several players, especially OLmen, quoted as saying that turf is far harsher on the body than natural grass. Theoretically, I can see why that might be so. First there's the underlayer, concrete vs dirt, even hard-packed dirt is softer. Second, if you pivot on grass and your foot catches, a divot of grass will possibly tear before your ligaments do.

But perception is perception and reality is reality, so I'd like to see stats. It would have to be somehow limited to practice and home games, or else add to the turf statistics when a team is playing away on turf.

I "get" that it's tough to keep a grass field in good shape in a northern climate late into the season, but these days with greenhouse technology so improved I believe it could be done - if statistics bear it out.

Depends. Could be either but definitely Physically Unable to Chew. :lol:

I don't know, Nanker, that seems like a lot to swallow

Me too, but I'm always wary of eating the first slice of pizza too quickly. You can really burn the roof of your mouth with hot-hot pizza. ^_^

Q: How did the hipster burn the roof of his mouth?

A: He bit into his pizza before it was cool.

I get it your angry... but random ACL tears when no contact is present is the result of a previous injury that all of the sudden fails. This was a ticking time bomb with ragland.

Seriously though, blaming the trainers for rib injuries and ankle sprains??? Take it easy guy, lets just be happy these are happening now and not during mid-season when guys can possible heal before week 1.

I get it your angry... but random ACL tears when no contact is present is the result of a previous injury that all of the sudden fails. This was a ticking time bomb with ragland.

Seriously though, blaming the trainers for rib injuries and ankle sprains??? Take it easy guy, lets just be happy these are happening now and not during mid-season when guys can possible heal before week 1.

Or he just stepped funny.

I suppose i dont get your big bang theory low level humor. Please elaborate.

Your answer lies in the post below... PUC not PUP.

Q: How did the hipster burn the roof of his mouth?

A: He bit into his pizza before it was cool.

Estelle sweetie, you can take your issues up with these gentlemen:

Dr. Leslie J. Bisson - Team Physician and Orthopaedic Consultant – Buffalo Bills

Dr. Mark S. Fineberg - Team Physician - Buffalo Bills

I have a feeling your that guy who looks forward to weddings not because you are happy for the couple but because you like taking over the dance floor as it is your only time to shine. Wearing the finest line of wedding garb Walmart had to offer in 1993. You are that weird uncle with a checkered past they have to invite out of obligation to their aunt.

And although you look like a sweaty mess of a person that you are you elicit enough laughter from the creeped out on lookers to give you a reason to roll your obese ass out of bed the next morning. But they are laughing at you, not with you. Am I close bud?

Now this is kind of funny. A complete ad hominem attack and totally irrelevant to the topic at hand, but actually funny

The facts don't bear out the theory that the Bills suffer more injuries being perpetuated in this thread. It exists in the heads and perceptions of some. The numbers show the Bills to be average in that regard:

Man Games Lost:

2012: 15th (166)

2013: 19th (154)

2014: 28th (138)

2015: 10th (171)

Edited by jeremy2020

Seahawks 2nd round pick Jarran Reed was carted off of practice today with ankle injury

Andrew Billings also carted off in Cincy with leg injury. Bengals 1st rd pick William Jackson already out for most of year with torn pec

Edited by YoloinOhio

The facts don't bear out the theory that the Bills suffer more injuries being perpetuated in this thread. It exists in the heads and perceptions of some. The numbers show the Bills to be average in that regard:

Man Games Lost:

2012: 15th (166)

2013: 19th (154)

2014: 28th (138)

2015: 10th (171)

Facts, shmacts. What matters is what you BELIEVE is true.