UDFA Thread

I love his intensity and his speed to the ball jumps off tape. He will make this team even if only for special teams to start. He could see the field in passing situations. I think a lot of these guys have an opportunity to bulk up a bit too. You aren't going to school so you have more time to eat and get with a nutritionist and eat the right stuff and hit the gym. If he got up to 230+ he could play the weak side LB and Ragland can take over for Preston Brown running the D like his hero Ray Lewis which is what I see eventually happening anyhow

Striker just blew me away on the tape I saw. Here is a link. Scroll through and Striker is after Gronkowski. Just hit the highlights:

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/05/nfl_draft_2016_glenn_gronkowski_joe_licata_highlight_buffalo_bills_udfa_signings.html#2

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm big on the Striker pick. Not because I have any special football insights other than rumors. But because I like the "Striker" Airplane movie quotes.

Also there is a Stryker hospital bed that costs 40K. It's got all the bells and whistles. How cool is that? I hope my kids send me there instead of the Fire Ant Nursing Home.

All Hail Doug! He did a damn good job. That experience from Pittsburgh gave him some serious NFL GM cohones.

Side note: I like GMTM in the room. I do believe in the one organization posture.

Chance of Making the Team or Practice Squad

Great Chance

Eric Striker, LB-S, Oklahoma as blitzing box safety, could be very effective. Another hitter. Aaron Williams is iffy, 2nd-best S, Graham, is 30.

Glenn Gronkowski, FB, Kansas State – Local boy stays home

Justin Zimmer, DT, Ferris State -44 bench reps was 10 better than Combine's best (Westerman)

Good Chance

Davonte' Allen, WR, Marshall - https://youtu.be/xZClITBrghA

Marshall Morgan, K, Georgia -kicked a 57-yarder to tie a game, then a 40+ yarderin OT to win it. Loves pressure.

Reid Ferguson, LS, LSU – accurate, and our LS is Garrison Sanborn, who turns 31 on July 31.

Robert Kugler, C-OG, Purdue - former Purdue center Robert Kugler, who transferred from Orchard Park High School to North Allegheny, Pa., High School after his junior season. Dad is Sean Kugler, former Bills OL Coordinator who worked with Jason Peters, and Boise State when they went undefeated.

Marquis Lucas, OC-OG, West Virginia - https://youtu.be/ajaFU698wKk What a great personality! Mature, has a child. Could back up or compete for backup spot. Wood is 30, Velasco 31. Only other OC is Ronald Patrick, 1st year man

Some Chance

Gary Chambers, WR, Arizona State – interview: https://youtu.be/yCI71qr8bXE

tall, articulate, caught poorly-thrown balls, YAC

Claudell Louis, DE, Fresno State - Honorable mention All-Mountain West selection … In the Mountain West, had 8th-most sacks (5.0), 8th-most tackles (47), 6.5 TFL (2nd on team), 5.0 tackles per game

Bryson Albright, DE/OLB, Miami (Ohio) - #95: FF recovery=> https://youtu.be/tkHRxQjP8uw?t=57s

Jamison Lalk, OL, Iowa State - http://www.desmoinesregister.com/videos/sports/college/iowa-state/football/2015/11/09/75493778/

Slim Chance

Joe Licata, QB, Buffalo – poise in the pocket is huge, but not much mobility. Camp arm with Josh Johnson.

Julian Whigham, CB, Syracuse – local boy from Cuse, played S because he wasn't making plays at CB. "(Whigham) was always in position, he just didn't make the play,"

Keith Lumpkin, OL, Rutgers - 6-foot-7, 320 pounds, 38 straight starts over his three seasons starting at left tackle. Combine snub, 8-7 in the broad jump,16th among offensive linemen at the NFL Combine) and the 7.74 in the three-cone drill (which would've been 5th in that position group).

Edited by Astrobot

Striker just blew me away on the tape I saw. Here is a link. Scroll through and Striker is after Gronkowski. Just hit the highlights:

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/05/nfl_draft_2016_glenn_gronkowski_joe_licata_highlight_buffalo_bills_udfa_signings.html#2

Wow.

just wow.

Hope he makes the team.

Thanks norton for the highlight film, and that really was some high lighting. Fun to watch. faaast of the snap and smart

Ranks, Rastro!

I would like to add my thanks also Astrobot !!

@si_nfl

.@ChrisBurke_SI on the best undrafted free agent signings of 2016 for all 32 teams: http://on.si.com/1NQzN30

ChfX9rzWYAAwZIH.jpg

Buffalo Bills: Justin Zimmer, DT, Ferris State

This is a nice landing spot for Zimmer, who turned in an insane pro day (4.9-second 40 and a staggering 44 bench reps). The Ryan brothers could have uncovered a gem here in the small-school, pass-rushing tackle.

UB is not Ohio State but it's worth noting how each year one or more players get invited to NFL camps. The program is slowly improving.

I think he will stick too if he can play special teams as well, he has so much football sense he will make it work

I know John and his family very well,. 6-7 320, just monstrous in size. Coach Quinn did a good job helping him along as did lining up every day against Khalil Mack. He does have a good head on his shoulders and decent footwork (former section champ discus thrower and i believe section runner up at 275 wt class in wrestling).

As for ST's, most of your OL's at this level are used in FG protection and that is about it.

Wow.

just wow.

Hope he makes the team.

Thanks norton for the highlight film, and that really was some high lighting. Fun to watch. faaast of the snap and smart

I would like to add my thanks also Astrobot !!

After watching the highlights, Striker reminds me of Troy Polamalu. He hits like a linebacker but runs like a safety. I hope they give this guy every chance to find a niche in this defense. He has rare speed/intensity/anticipation skills. http://www.newyorkup...signings.html#2

Edited by norton20

In HS and in College, he made his play in practice such that they were forced to find him a spot. It's going to happen again with plays like these. Somehow, Striker will make his way onto the field this year.

https://youtu.be/5vt7fyi3rA8

Striker on ESPN radio now. Sounds determined

Says he did everything right so not sure why he didn't get picked. Was told he was going rounds 4-7 by agents.

Hasn't talked to Rex yet only to personnel guys.

Feels like he will be a good fit for the defense and wants chance to prove himself.

Guys on radio praising him for Alabama and Tennessee games.

Well spoken guy I'm really excited for this pick!

Ranking top 7 undrafted-free-agent classes
The Bills' signing of Rob Gronkowski's younger brother helped the team make Chad Reuter's list of the top seven undrafted free-agent hauls following the 2016 NFL Draft.

bills_logo.jpg
4. Buffalo Bills

First off, how can you not pick a group that includes a "Gronk"? Rob's brother, Glenn, will have a chance to make the team as a rookie if he proves himself on special teams and as a blocking/receiving fullback. Eric Striker is too good of a football player not to challenge for playing time as a rookie linebacker. The Bills didn't use a single draft pick on the offensive line, so picking up draftable prospects like center Robert Kugler, tenacious guard/tackle Marquis Lucas and long outside pass protector Keith Lumpkin was wise. Marshall Morgan and Reid Ferguson are solid special-teams contributors who will at least be auditioning for another team during the preseason if they are unable to unseat veterans Dan Carpenter and Garrison Sanborn, respectively.

bills_logo.jpg
4. Buffalo Bills

First off, how can you not pick a group that includes a "Gronk"? Rob's brother, Glenn, will have a chance to make the team as a rookie if he proves himself on special teams and as a blocking/receiving fullback. Eric Striker is too good of a football player not to challenge for playing time as a rookie linebacker. The Bills didn't use a single draft pick on the offensive line, so picking up draftable prospects like center Robert Kugler, tenacious guard/tackle Marquis Lucas and long outside pass protector Keith Lumpkin was wise. Marshall Morgan and Reid Ferguson are solid special-teams contributors who will at least be auditioning for another team during the preseason if they are unable to unseat veterans Dan Carpenter and Garrison Sanborn, respectively.

No mention of Zimmer? Outside of Striker he may be the best one of all.

In HS and in College, he made his play in practice such that they were forced to find him a spot. It's going to happen again with plays like these. Somehow, Striker will make his way onto the field this year.

Striker looks like Von Miller coming off that edge. I'm gonna unleash my inner Chris Berman and nickname him Eric "lightning" Striker me again. A Lou Christie reference.

No mention of Zimmer? Outside of Striker he may be the best one of all.

Zimmer I like a lot. I see some Kyle Williams in him. I've talked with his Dad and he's thrilled to be a Bill. Number one reason? He can learn from none other than Kyle Williams.

He has a connection to Coach Blake and a couple guys on the team. He's quick on the uptake.

Zimmer I like a lot. I see some Kyle Williams in him. I've talked with his Dad and he's thrilled to be a Bill. Number one reason? He can learn from none other than Kyle Williams.

He has a connection to Coach Blake and a couple guys on the team. He's quick on the uptake.

Again, in the clips posted above, he looks just like Kyle to me. It's uncanny.

I'm big on the Striker pick. Not because I have any special football insights other than rumors. But because I like the "Striker" Airplane movie quotes.

Also there is a Stryker hospital bed that costs 40K. It's got all the bells and whistles. How cool is that? I hope my kids send me there instead of the Fire Ant Nursing Home.

All Hail Doug! He did a damn good job. That experience from Pittsburgh gave him some serious NFL GM cohones.

Side note: I like GMTM in the room. I do believe in the one organization posture.

Murray was in the Bills draft room?

We need to bring in Baylor boys: OT/TE (Jason Peters-like) LaQuan McGowan and DE Shawn Oakman.

Can he play tackle (TE would be interesting)

Murray was in the Bills draft room?

Can he play tackle (TE would be interesting)

The only place Shawn Oakman is going is prison.

So... long time reader, first time buzz kill. That highlight reel for Striker was great, but it only showed me one trick (I know UDFA, but you guys have given him 14 pages). I will try to find a draft breakdown to see a whole ball game because his highlight reel left me thinking he would only play in obvious pass downs. Yes he has great speed, but in the NFL the tackles have better feet/technique. Additionally, Rex likes chess pieces that can do multiple things (particularly against the pass), and his abilities seem specialized towards outside pass rush.

I do like Zimmer even though he also plays in obvious pass downs too. I can explain when I've had less Fireball.

@RyanTalbotBills

One Bills UDFA that people aren't talking about enough? Justin Zimmer. http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1668268-don-t-forget-about-bills-udfa-justin-zimmer

Albeit it was virtually against no competition he had great stats and when you combine that with his physical talents which are off-the-charts, I see him as having a decent shot at becoming an eventual consistent rotational player for the Bills.

bills_logo.jpg
4. Buffalo Bills

Zimmer is out of the public view of most of these evaluators that he isn't even mentioned here. I think he could be the gem of the pack.