RD 2, Pick 41: LB Reggie Ragland, University of Alabama

Beerball

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiting to see who the third round pick is

:lol: That was my first thought actually!

Not their top 3 - the three they were debating at 19, right? Guessing Butler.

I could be am wrong, the way I took it was saying top 3 overall. It's right near the end of the press conference about Ragland on the Bills site.

Just read the Chris Brown article that makes it clear. :beer:

Aguayo :thumbsup::D

:lol::beer:

Edited by Deranged Rhino

@BuffaloBillsPR

The @buffalobills have now added the ACC Defensive Player of the Year (Shaq Lawson) & the SEC Defensive Player of the Year (Reggie Ragland).

The picks sound genius when you say it like that. Whaley is doin his thing.

we still can

Dude whats up with jack and jalen?? teams are really not trying to deal with the injury ****. They might go undrafted the way it looks. EDIT: They went to the Cows and jags

What, are you a f'n cardiologist? Relax. I'm guessing the FO knows better than you. Figure out a way to root for him, Mr. Know-it-all.

I have a degree in EKG, hell be fine it wont affect his play unless he gains 100lbs of FAT and smokes a lot. a lot a lot.

Edited by Marty McFly

Whaley also said their top three guys were Shaq, Ragland -- then he never named the third. Wonder who it was.

Well...I'm glad they landed on Shaq there...

This talk about loving Ragland at #19 is all fine and dandy now that they got him at #41 (plus two 4th rd picks...)...But if they had taken him at #19 I would have been very disappointed...

As I've said here before 100 times I like Ragland...He's a very good football player...But...When you have a player that College teams...I'll say it again...College teams went after and exploited in pass coverage...What exactly do you think Belichick is going to do?...I did not...and still do not believe he was a #19 overall pick...I do however like the pick in the 2nd...It's fine value there because he is going to play a lot...I'm going to be interested to see him at the Will...One thing I do not question with Ragland is his effort on the field...And he definitely is more than a thumper...I'm very interested in Mayock's comments about his weight issues...And I look at this in a positive light...If Ragland gets serious about being a Pro condition-wise it may quick him up a bit...Because when you watch his tape, instincts are not a problem...And when he sees it he looks to bring violent pain...

I just want to add how much I absolutely, positively HATE giving up Draft picks to trade up...Right or wrong, and admittedly I'm usually wrong, I hate it and it makes me angry... :lol:

I have a degree in EKG, hell be fine it wont affect his play unless he gains 100lbs of FAT and smokes a lot. a lot a lot.

Don't give him any ideas... ;)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Cravens can cover. Speed doesn't = cover skills. When Gronk and Bennett are 6 yrs past Ragland for their 10 catch we're going to regret this.

I would love to say Rex isnt dumb enuff to let Ragland cover Gronk but, after last season.....uh.....I wouldnt be surprised? LOL

I doubt they let Ragland cover Gronk but it is Rex and co so who knows...

Anyway for those that wanna feel better about our 3rd round pick, read up at this link

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2016awashington.php

here, here! :beer: :beer:

I agree however, not happy with our Safteys and WRs. If we leave the draft witout a good Saftey and WR im gonna throw some shade at Whaley. Saftey is very important in Rexs scheme and we have no stars at that position.

Cravens can cover. Speed doesn't = cover skills. When Gronk and Bennett are 6 yrs past Ragland for their 10 catch we're going to regret this.

Cravens is 6'1" and 222# and runs a 4.69. Gronk and Bennett would swat him off like a fly and then fly past him. Same for Correa.

Reggie Ragland Alabama ILB

Buffalo from CHI

• dm_160331_NFL_Draft_13_Reggie_Ragland.jp watch.png Video Highlights
  • What he brings:The top run-stopping linebacker in this class, Ragland brings size, excellent point-of-attack skills and a strong understanding of geometry with pursuit angles to provide him with sideline-to-sideline range. He also brings a physical element to his game and is an impactful knock-back tackler. While he has some athletic limitations, he has better third-down value than people think, including an underrated pass-rushing presence. He also brings outstanding football character and is one of the more NFL-ready prospects who could step in on day one as a starter. -- Kevin Weidl

How he fits:The 18th-best player on our board and the best player available, Ragland is an excellent value at this point in Round 2. He represents an immediate upgrade over inside linebacker Preston Brown, who struggled last year, and Ragland is a powerful run-stopper who should help improve Buffalo's run defense, which finished 16th in rushing yards allowed per game in 2015. While he's not great in coverage, defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman could use him as a pass-rusher. -- Steve Muench

ESPN's Take^^

I agree however, not happy with our Safteys and WRs. If we leave the draft witout a good Saftey and WR im gonna throw some shade at Whaley. Saftey is very important in Rexs scheme and we have no stars at that position.

I think they think Blanton can play the other safety spot opposite Aaron Williams.

I like the pick, BUT I don't like that we coughed up 2 4th round picks to get him. I'm in the crowd that would have waited to see what fell to us.

So you have a problem giving up two fourths for (essentially) a 1st round talent?

I think you're using new math or something.

Wrong thread for this so this will be my last comment here but Rex took him from promising to the lowest graded LB in the league then mocked him for being timid and dumb. Now they draft a guy in the same position. You don't have to be a psychic. Brown seems like a good dude and I hope he does well wherever he ends up.

Except Whaley said Preston Brown will play the MIKE and Ragland will play the WILL.

Now, where's that guy who was complaining about trading up to 41 who had Ragland at 19 in his mock draft? ROFL!

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

My initial reaction was to hate the Ragland pick, mainly because we passed up Jarran Reed. Well:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/04/29/bong-show-ole-miss-impacts-chad-kelly-bills-three-picks-draft-notes/

Ryan was ecstatic to add Clemson defensive end Shaq Lawson and Ragland to his unit. Buffalo then tried to trade back into the second round to snag Alabama defensive tackle Jarran Reed, tantalizingly still there eight picks after Ragland.

The Bills, however, weren't alone in their desires.

The Seattle Seahawks swooped in with a trade to take Reed 49th overall, the Bills' original pick before trading up to get Ragland.

This makes me feel a little better anyway. At least they tried to get him. If Whaley believes Ragland is that much better than a huge impact NT then I'm on board.

Reggie Ragland: "It's an awesome feeling" (3:41)

Bills second round pick Reggie Ragland joined The John Murphy Show to talk about Buffalo making the trade-up to select him, why he is excited to play under Rex Ryan, and what he can offer at the outside linebacker spot.

Doug Whaley: "Go up and get him" (3:04)

Bills GM Doug Whaley sat down on The John Murphy Show to recap the trade-up to grab Reggie Ragland in the second round and the selection of defensive tackle Adolphus Washington in the third round.

To anyone in this thread who says they hate this pick....I would love to agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.

check out these Ragland highlights, cool **** to get yall pumped for next season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5m-AlIheWg

thanks for these, check out the highlight link i found

I think they think Blanton can play the other safety spot opposite Aaron Williams.

Makes sense but, after hearing Whaleys interview, he was saying the 1st 3 picks they went by their board and biggest holes to fill, so the next 3 picks they have they will use completely on need based players to put depth at positions of need. This makes me think theyll pick up a Saftey, OT, and WR or QB maybe even a kicker

I think they traded up because they thought that Oakland was going to take him.

Reminds me a lot of the trade up for Poz when David Harris was still there and would have been available in the Bills' slot. A panic move.

So you have a problem giving up two fourths for (essentially) a 1st round talent?

I think you're using new math or something.

He was apparently not a first round talent. Otherwise, he would have been drafted yesterday. And there is no reason to believe he would not have been there at 49, or that he will be better than Josh Perry, for that matter. We gave away two 4th round picks, just like we gave away a 4th round pick for Bryce Brown.

Cravens is 6'1" and 222# and runs a 4.69. Gronk and Bennett would swat him off like a fly and then fly past him. Same for Correa.

that's ok Ragland wont get close enough for them to swat away.

Reminds me a lot of the trade up for Poz when David Harris was still there and would have been available in the Bills' slot. A panic move.

He was apparently not a first round talent. Otherwise, he would have been drafted yesterday. And there is no reason to believe he would not have been there at 49, or that he will be better than Josh Perry, for that matter. We gave away two 4th round picks, just like we gave away a 4th round pick for Bryce Brown.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

People see me as a pessimist and a "troll" but I'm a realist. And I think we're having one of the best drafts that I can possibly remember. I would rather have had someone like Braxton Miller in the 3rd but I'm not gonna complain.

We are definitely ignoring the offense that's for sure.

Fourth Rounders really make a difference. Here's who The Bills have drafted in the 4th Round... and how many games they played in The League - and not necessarily for The Bills:

Year	Rnd	Pick#	Name	Pos	Played To	G
2015	4		Nobody			0
2014	4	109	Ross Cockrell	DB	2015	22
2013	4	105	Duke Williams	DB	2015	48
2012	4	105	Nigel Bradham	LB	2015	57
2012	4	124	Ron Brooks	DB	2015	46
2011	4	100	Da'Norris Searcy	DB	2015	77
2011	4	122	Chris Hairston	T	2015	57
2010	4	107	Marcus Easley	WR	2015	42
2009	4	121	Shawn Nelson	TE	2010	17
2008	4	114	Reggie Corner	DB	2011	55
2008	4	132	Derek Fine	TE	2009	18
2007	4	111	Dwayne Wright	RB	2007	15
2006	4	105	Ko Simpson	DB	2009	41
2005	4	122	Duke Preston	C	2008	59
2004	4	109	Tim Euhus	TE	2007	34
2003	4	111	Terrence McGee	DB	2012	122
2003	4	127	Sam Aiken	WR	2010	95
2002	4		Nobody			0
2001	4	110	Brandon Spoon	LB	2001	14
2000	4	121	Avion Black	WR	2002	27
1999	4	119	Keith Newman	LB	2006	102
1999	4	122	Bobby Collins	TE	2001	30
1998	4		Nobody			0
1997	4	120	Jamie Nails	G	2003	78
1996	4	120	Sean Moran	LB	2003	120
1995	4	109	Ken Irvin	DB	2005	147
1995	4	113	Justin Armour	WR	1999	39
1995	4	131	Tony Cline	TE	1999	52
1994	4	130	Sean Crocker	DB		0
1993	4	111	Russell Copeland	WR	1998	72
1992	4	111	Frank Kmet	DE		0

For the record, we still have a 4th Round pick this year, and The Bills have been without a 4th Round pick three other years.

His pass rushing abilitly will help keep him on 3rd down. His cover skills appear to be fairly weak, though he has good instincts which can help. But I think on third down they are going to use him to rush the passer

Who covers Gronk and Bennett? Or the RB on a delay route? Unless he can get to Brady in 2 seconds? I just don't think this guy fits the modern game. The 85 Bears maybe but he's short and at 4.72, not the fast. A 2 down thumper in a passing conference.

Who covers Gronk and Bennett? Or the RB on a delay route? Unless he can get to Brady in 2 seconds? I just don't think this guy fits the modern game. The 85 Bears maybe but he's short and at 4.72, not the fast. A 2 down thumper in a passing conference.

Well, in last year's 2nd NE game, they used Lawson and Hughes in the flats against Gronk and the RBs, and it worked fairly well.

They also used Graham and Rambo on the backs with less success.

I would imagine you're looking at a bunch of different zone/man mixes with guys like Reggie dropping into space as opposed to asking him to run with a TE or a back.

Unless you're drafting Ramsey or Jack, you weren't expecting anyone to man up against Gronk.

Well, in last year's 2nd NE game, they used Lawson and Hughes in the flats against Gronk and the RBs, and it worked fairly well.

They also used Graham and Rambo on the backs with less success.

I would imagine you're looking at a bunch of different zone/man mixes with guys like Reggie dropping into space as opposed to asking him to run with a TE or a back.

Unless you're drafting Ramsey or Jack, you weren't expecting anyone to man up against Gronk.

The Bills also have Z. Brown, one of the fastest LBs in the league.

Not Ragland. I don't take him off the field on 3rd down either. Rush the passer. No one tries to cover Gronk with a MLB. People put two safeties on him and he still makes plays.