RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

This was my guy so I'm happy. With Myles Jack there though I was sort of hoping for him but I don't think they looked into his knee situation enough to be comfortable with it. They probably didn't think he would be on the board at that point. Shaq is a great pick though!!

@yardsperpass

Lawson is a power rush, not a run around the edge guy... but lots of advanced metrics had him very high athletically as well

Fair enough, glad I saw this. He looks slow to this untrained eye.

Psyched nonetheless. Go Bills!

Hughes is the speed rusher, so the Bills needed the power rusher to out-perform Mario Williams. This power rusher —let's call him “Shaq”, shall we? —can work from a variety of positions—from the stand-up 3-4 OLB spot, from the five-technique DE spot (head up over the tackle), or from inside at a three-technique (between the Guard and Tackle). A successful (<b><a href="http://on.nfl.com/23UlwGo"target="_blank" >and confirmed healthy</a></b>) Shaq would have toughness, size, explosiveness, instincts, and athleticism. This is not a mere replacement. This is the <i>upgrade</i>. This Shaq finished 5th in the nation in sacks (12.5) in 2015. <b><a href="http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/04/15/shaq-lawson-nfl-detroit-lions/83081858/" target="_blank" >“Shaq Lawson made Ronnie Stanley look like an undrafted Free Agent”</a></b>. However, what really stands out is that this Clemson guy topped the nation with 25.5 tackles for loss, and was second in the nation in "stuffs" for D-Linemen with 17. Film suggests that ACC opponents countered by running away from Shaq consistently, so his success behind the LOS is even more impressive. Another Lawson makes lots of sense. But we'll go with Shaq instead of Manny this time. Grade: A+

so my concern is that a pass rushing de is not that important to rex ryans d compared to a coverage jack linebacker and safety play. yes, the best safety's were gone but linebacker and wr will still add more to the team - treadwell? - than lawson in 2016 and likely 2017 after his surgery.

this is... not super amazing but i'm not displease.d

Hughes is the speed rusher, so the Bills needed the power rusher to out-perform Mario Williams. This power rusher —let's call him “Shaq”, shall we? —can work from a variety of positions—from the stand-up 3-4 OLB spot, from the five-technique DE spot (head up over the tackle), or from inside at a three-technique (between the Guard and Tackle). A successful (<b><a href="http://on.nfl.com/23UlwGo"target="_blank" >and confirmed healthy</a></b>) Shaq would have toughness, size, explosiveness, instincts, and athleticism. This is not a mere replacement. This is the <i>upgrade</i>. This Shaq finished 5th in the nation in sacks (12.5) in 2015. <b><a href="http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/04/15/shaq-lawson-nfl-detroit-lions/83081858/" target="_blank" >“Shaq Lawson made Ronnie Stanley look like an undrafted Free Agent”</a></b>. However, what really stands out is that this Clemson guy topped the nation with 25.5 tackles for loss, and was second in the nation in "stuffs" for D-Linemen with 17. Film suggests that ACC opponents countered by running away from Shaq consistently, so his success behind the LOS is even more impressive. Another Lawson makes lots of sense. But we'll go with Shaq instead of Manny this time. Grade: A+

Thanks for the sneak peak Astro!

Do we comment on the rest of the draft in this thread?

No! Every selection will have its own thread. We like to keep the discussion focused on each individual player. Use other threads for general discussion.

so my concern is that a pass rushing de is not that important to rex ryans d compared to a coverage jack linebacker and safety play. yes, the best safety's were gone but linebacker and wr will still add more to the team - treadwell? - than lawson in 2016 and likely 2017 after his surgery.

this is... not super amazing but i'm not displease.d

If you watched Mario underperform this position last year to,the overall detriment of the defense, I am not sure how you can make this comment. It is a very important position. It was just not played very well (really at all) by Mario. They still have a hole at LB. however, I am confident they can find someone to outplay Bradham's horrible performance last year. Lawson is a great pick, great fit. Edited by MDFan