Kevin Hogan

Something tells me that the Bills will draft him in the 3rd round this year. Whaley said that he is the most NFL ready QB in the draft and he fits the offensive system. I see him as a poor mans Andrew Luck and I have a real good feeling about Him. I like Tyrod, but I don't know if he has enough to get us to the promise land. I think Hogan will be special.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we take a QB until the 4th. Maybe then they take him with our supplemental pick if he's there, but I doubt we go QB with and of the first three or four selections. They are also rumored to like Dak Prescott, the same Dak Prescott who just got himself into some off the field trouble and will likely be able to be had much later in the draft.

Why do we need the most NFL ready qb

I dont agree with this

Your QBs for this next year are in place.....as much as people dislike EJ Manuel when you compare him to OTHER backup QBs his stats compare pretty well.

What needs to be considered is AFTER this next year.....Manuel will be gone....Tyrod will have his contract......and the QB we pick this year needs to capabably backup in year 2

I dont agree with this

Your QBs for this next year are in place.....as much as people dislike EJ Manuel when you compare him to OTHER backup QBs his stats compare pretty well.

What needs to be considered is AFTER this next year.....Manuel will be gone....Tyrod will have his contract......and the QB we pick this year needs to capabably backup in year 2

Agree

If Paxton lynch falls to us there will be many trade down options to be had. Or we draft him and let him sit behind Taylor. If Taylor has bad year we have insurance policy. If he had great year and demands high money we have "leverage" with lynch

Sounds like great way to ensure a "QB controversy". Which can disrupt both QBs development and if that happens we'll be stuck with neither of them being a franchise QB IMO.

Usually the most NFL ready QB is not even close to being ready so still good to draft one. I'd love to get a really nice prospect in the 3rd and let him truly develop over a couple of years. It can't hurt and we are not that devoid of talent. We have enough talent on this team to start acting like a winning team and a QB every couple of years until we get the guy is the right move. I didn't say every year but every 2-3 years is not a mistake. At worst someone else covets them and you get draft picks a couple years down the road like NE and GB have done for over 15 years.

If Paxton lynch falls to us there will be many trade down options to be had. Or we draft him and let him sit behind Taylor. If Taylor has bad year we have insurance policy. If he had great year and demands high money we have "leverage" with lynch

Paxton Lynch is physically gifted, but even his assistant head coach has come out and said the offense was not that complex. Of course he will throw in at the end that he's "very capable of doing that" as seen below.

Memphis assistant head coach Darrell Dickey indicated that QB Paxton Lynch did not play in an offense that allowed much improvisation.

"We didn’t do a whole lot of checking at the line of scrimmage, no reading blitzes and making protection adjustments, but [Lynch]’s very capable of doing that," Dickey said.

Haven't we already done this before? The most nfl ready QB from 2007 apparently was Trent Edwards from... Stanford

I don't want anymore smart mediocre QB's. We should try something different and go for the dumbest QB in the draft

Haven't we already done this before? The most nfl ready QB from 2007 apparently was Trent Edwards from... Stanford

I don't want anymore smart mediocre QB's. We should try something different and go for the dumbest QB in the draft

Until Adrian Wilson put his lights out Trent was looking like a superstar in the making.

edit: Ok, superstar was a bit too heavy of a word in that situation, but he was trending in the right direction and looking like our possible QB of the future.

Edited by H2o

One important difference is that Hogan was a four year starter who has done nothing but win. Edwards lost far more games than he won. Hogan is also highly mobile and highly durable--both important qualities lacking in TE. But feel free to keep comparing them because they went to the same school almost a decade apart.

I dont agree with this

If I'm gambling I'm not going with the most NFL ready qb at the draft....I'm going with the qb I think has the highest ceiling that is available to me....if that is hogan then that's the guy....but I'm not drafting him solely on the idea that he can step in and play day 1 if needed....that's what veteran NFL qbs are for.

One important difference is that Hogan was a four year starter who has done nothing but win. Edwards lost far more games than he won. Hogan is also highly mobile and highly durable--both important qualities lacking in TE. But feel free to keep comparing them because they went to the same school almost a decade apart.

Both are labeled "smart QB's" that played in a pro style offense, have ideal nfl size, and were said to be steals of the draft. The similarities are there. I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to someone like this. I don't think he's worth the 2nd round pick it would take to get him. We need help at too many other positions

If I'm gambling I'm not going with the most NFL ready qb at the draft....I'm going with the qb I think has the highest ceiling that is available to me....if that is hogan then that's the guy....but I'm not drafting him solely on the idea that he can step in and play day 1 if needed....that's what veteran NFL qbs are for.

I agree. Someone like Paxton Lynch has higher ceiling. Or there's someone like Prescott who is a great athlete. Hogan is great at nothing

Both are labeled "smart QB's" that played in a pro style offense, have ideal nfl size,

You mean, like Andrew Luck? And I would be shocked if Hogan goes before late third or fourth round, and possibly as low as 5 or 6. Edited by mannc

You mean, like Andrew Luck? And I would be shocked if Hogan goes before late third or fourth round, and possibly as low as 5 or 6.

No those are the only positives you hear about Hogan whereas Andrew Luck was said to be the greatest prospect since Peyton Manning. If someone says that about Hogan then I'll say it's OK to draft him.

I dont agree with this

Agreed. I really think any talk about QB, outside of pure developmental, is moot. I truly believe Tyrod is that dude. Everything Whaley is saying about drafting a QB sounds like he and OBD is trying to build leverage for contract discussions with TT.

I know it is fashionable on this board to slam Edwards. But I believe it was a unforeseeable combination of bad coaching creating a situation where he could never unlearn the overly cautious approach he was trained to have by Bills coaches (Trentative), and his reaction to his Life Threatening hit and concussion in Arizona. Look up "biggest hits in the NFL" to see his name listed tops in the videos. It still is considered so by more than just Bills fans.

He never got over the psychological PTSD from the experience and always was "hearing footsteps", which ruined his game. In the beginning I saw he had the brains, the arm, and the skills to be a good NFL QB. (I still think he was the best Bills QB prospect since Bledsoe) He just did not have the mental toughness to take the punishment and overcome his early coaching mistakes and develop the mindset an NFL QB needs to have.

Maybe under different circumstances he could have developed. I don't think he was a bad draft selection for a middle round draft pick.

Edited by simpleman

Hogan is probably the best fit for the type of offense Roman tried to run last year... Which isn't saying much... He lacks the physical gifts of Tyrod. Still, Hogan has the skill set to take game management to new heights... Especially if the Bills somehow find a solid TE. (or two.)

Hogan's throwing motion has improved, but without stellar o-line play, and Chris McCaffrey to hand off to, he's just meat for the grinder.. I like him alot, but he's not ready to push for the start, IMO..

I dont agree with this

this this this

Agreed. I really think any talk about QB, outside of pure developmental, is moot. I truly believe Tyrod is that dude. Everything Whaley is saying about drafting a QB sounds like he and OBD is trying to build leverage for contract discussions with TT.

Gotta bring one in regardless, just a matter of when in the draft. Bils might have a bit of luxury this year and can wait til the 4th. Let him sit for year. Reevaluate after the season. Can he at least back up TT? Or will Bils need a new starter? Must draft one though

Paxton Lynch is physically gifted, but even his assistant head coach has come out and said the offense was not that complex. Of course he will throw in at the end that he's "very capable of doing that" as seen below.

It's tricky to think a guy will pick up those skills. That he had no reads at the line is either a huge indictment in EVERYONE else, or him. Even a simple 1 read where he can swap run/pass based on the look shouldn't be too much stress on the other ten guys if you trust his processing

Both are labeled "smart QB's" that played in a pro style offense, have ideal nfl size, and were said to be steals of the draft. The similarities are there. I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to someone like this. I don't think he's worth the 2nd round pick it would take to get him. We need help at too many other positions

I agree. Someone like Paxton Lynch has higher ceiling. Or there's someone like Prescott who is a great athlete. Hogan is great at nothing

There are some that say that Hogan might be the best athlete of this class

Its just that he might not have the highest ceiling

I know it is fashionable on this board to slam Edwards. But I believe it was a unforeseeable combination of bad coaching creating a situation where he could never unlearn the overly cautious approach he was trained to have by Bills coaches (Trentative), and his reaction to his Life Threatening hit and concussion in Arizona. Look up "biggest hits in the NFL" to see his name listed tops in the videos. It still is considered so by more than just Bills fans.

He never got over the psychological PTSD from the experience and always was "hearing footsteps", which ruined his game. In the beginning I saw he had the brains, the arm, and the skills to be a good NFL QB. (I still think he was the best Bills QB prospect since Bledsoe) He just did not have the mental toughness to take the punishment and overcome his early coaching mistakes and develop the mindset an NFL QB needs to have.

A show of hands...how many people here really believe this crap?

Edited by HoF Watkins

I honestly dont know if it is true or not

QBs take hits.....if Edwards got rattled off one hit then he was not the answer.

He also had the compartment syndrome issue... By 23-24 years old he had a couple of pretty serious incidents on his football resume.

Of ALL the QBs in this draft, Kevin Hogan is the most "desirable" to me and the one I'd like the Bills to take a flyer on. What really sets him apart from the others is the fact the he WINS. I also like the fact that he was coached by David Shaw, who is considered to be one of the best collegiate coaches, during his collegiate career. He also got to sit and learn behind Andrew Luck. If I had to take him in the 3rd, I'd do it.

Hogan is probably the best fit for the type of offense Roman tried to run last year... Which isn't saying much... He lacks the physical gifts of Tyrod. Still, Hogan has the skill set to take game management to new heights... Especially if the Bills somehow find a solid TE. (or two.)

Hogan's throwing motion has improved, but without stellar o-line play, and Chris McCaffrey to hand off to, he's just meat for the grinder.. I like him alot, but he's not ready to push for the start, IMO..

Agree with this statement. I am not a fan of Kevin Hogan. If the Bills decide to draft a QB later in the draft, I would rather they take Dak Prescott, who I think has more potential to grow.

Hogan has been a 4 year starter, and has won consistently, but he's nowhere near the level that his predecessor, Andrew Luck, was at. His best year was as a Senior, but he was very fortunate to have Chris McCaffrey in the backfield.

Hogan could become an NFL starter, in time, but I'm not counting on it. Right now I see him as being a career back-up.

Agree with this statement. I am not a fan of Kevin Hogan. If the Bills decide to draft a QB later in the draft, I would rather they take Dak Prescott, who I think has more potential to grow.

Hogan has been a 4 year starter, and has won consistently, but he's nowhere near the level that his predecessor, Andrew Luck, was at. His best year was as a Senior, but he was very fortunate to have Chris McCaffrey in the backfield.

Hogan could become an NFL starter, in time, but I'm not counting on it. Right now I see him as being a career back-up.

I actually dont mind Dac Prescott.....but my question is.....are we looking for a starter?

We are probably about to pay TT 20 million a year.......why would we be looking for a starter? We need someone that can come in and win maybe 3 games a year.

I don't hear anything about the kid out of Oregon. If you're adding a QB to back up TT, someone like him would seem to make more sense than Hogan. If you take Hogan, who plays "pro style," then you're probably thinking about him as a future starter, and I don't believe he'd be much more than mediocre in the NFL.

I don't hear anything about the kid out of Oregon. If you're adding a QB to back up TT, someone like him would seem to make more sense than Hogan. If you take Hogan, who plays "pro style," then you're probably thinking about him as a future starter, and I don't believe he'd be much more than mediocre in the NFL.

I really dont understand this line of thinking......

Most of the QBs that are coming out are like Bryce Petty......opinion QBs that have great skills but dont run a pro style offense in college.

Then you have a guy like Kevin Hogan.....who runs a pro style offense.....he doesnt have to "relearn" everything he did in college in order to step into a NFL huddle.

Now......you can say what you want about what you think of his skills.....the fact is he doesnt have to change his game to play in the nfl like Petty (who didnt take one NFL snap last year)

and

Your not doing it in round one....your probably doing it in round say.....five

I honestly dont know if it is true or not

QBs take hits.....if Edwards got rattled off one hit then he was not the answer.

Well, the real question is "were you happy with his development prior to "the hit"?

The pro's and con's have already been discussed ad nauseam, I'm just curious to see which people here are on which side.

It's either "he was developing into a QB good enough to lead the Bills to the promised land, with the right cast around him", or "he wasn't good enough, even before he had his brain scrambled".

Edited by HoF Watkins

I've said before that if they don't take a shot higher up and they take Hogan with our comp pick in the 4th or later then I'd like that. I think it would be a pick which envisages him being ready to take over from EJ as the backup after this season and if all goes well maybe even before then.

It doesn't mean I think we should forgo a shot at a possible starter if one is there in an earlier round but if we haven't and Hogan is still there at the end of the 4th I'd take him. His potential is low end starter / top quality backup for me (dare I say a bit Fitz like?)

I actually dont mind Dac Prescott.....but my question is.....are we looking for a starter?

We are probably about to pay TT 20 million a year.......why would we be looking for a starter? We need someone that can come in and win maybe 3 games a year.

SEA has zero championships an no S-bowl rings if they wait for RW to develop behind Matt Flynn... WAS doesn't make the playoffs last season if Shanny doesn't double down on QB's in '12... The lesson? -If you havent got a franchise guy, you should ALWAYs be looking for a QB... That is, if you're serious about rings... There should be absolutely no question whether of not your QB can get you to the playoffs... If there is, his potential replacement should be on your bench.