Does anyone feel like the roster can be better this year?

Virgil

Next year the Bills currently have $60 million in cap space and that's before they cut ties with Kyle, another $7 million in savings.

Even if they give Glenn and Gilmore hefty extensions they'll still have $40+ million. Plenty to sign Taylor or franchise him if he has a break out year.

Wayne - I didn't know that at all. That is very good news. I'm assuming you went to Sportrac, or Over the Cap to find that info. That changes my mind as that really means it is just a 2016 problem. I'm guessing Kyle Williams might be asked to take a small pay cut this year to give us some room with the wink nod that if he has a good year this year, we give him some small bump the following year where he gets to retire a Bill. I think he would want that if we don't ask for more than may 1.5 mil this year. He still would get 4.5 mil, and with a good year, no injuries, go back to $6 mil in his final year.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Offense last season was #1 in the run game despite

Injuries to McCoy , Karlos, John Miller, Henderson serious illness

Kromer missing first 6 games

New system with Roman

Defense was over confident from previous season success , injuries , penalties , new system not being accepted.

Getting the right players for a Rex D and everyone doing the extra study and focus should be a lot better.

Rex is going fully pregnant with his antiquated system so just naming players that have left is inaccurate. We have no 34 NTs on the roster, Dareus will be playing at a position that will be a question mark, the system does not fit Kyle, Brown has already been thrown under the bus, we needed a safety before the offseason ever started, Lawson is not a 3 down starter in any position....he is depth, last year's injury excuse was way overblown and we'll have injuries this year too. I'm sure I left stuff out.

In essence, with the exception of 2 quality corners, we are an expansion team on the defensive side because we trashed what had been built and even our more talented players are question marks in their new spots.

Your antiquated comments are a joke because you can't justify them.

Wayne - I didn't know that at all. That is very good news. I'm assuming you went to Sportrac, or Over the Cap to find that info. That changes my mind as that really means it is just a 2016 problem. I'm guessing Kyle Williams might be asked to take a small pay cut this year to give us some room with the wink nod that if he has a good year this year, we give him some small bump the following year where he gets to retire a Bill. I think he would want that if we don't ask for more than may 1.5 mil this year. He still would get 4.5 mil, and with a good year, no injuries, go back to $6 mil in his final year.

Yea that number is based on Top 51 for next year and the assumption the cap rises again. Personally I don't see them asking Kyle for a pay cut and I think they'll cut him next year. This years draft is talent rich at DL, it is perfect time to draft his replacement.

I am also more pessimistic going into this year. While I understand and agree with the need to move on from Mario Williams and McKelvin , and to a lesser degree Rambo I think at this point our talent level has gone down.

In addition to hopes for a strong rookie class, some unexpected gems in the scrap heap free agents they do add and improvement from younger players (including even better play from Tyrod) the only source of optimism I can hope for is that with Mario gone the players buy into his defense and the performance of that unit jumps big time.

Yep. Just read this entire thread and your post come closest to my opinion. At the risk of taking Rex off the Hot Seat, our offense played as equal a part in the drop off on defense. For as exciting as Roman's offense could be with Tyrod, Sammy and a productive ground game, we had a million 3 & outs. The criticism of Tyrod NOT attempting many middle field throws and only one 4th quarter comeback (Tenn) that cost him a couple games on the bench rehabbing, we didn't have many clock consuming drives that relate to better defensive stats. In at least 4 games, the offense was non-existent for the middle quarters while the opponent racked up double digit leads.

A full year of the Roman Empire offense under the belt and the evident growth of Taylors' confidence as the season wore on WILL make for a better team showing. In an anti-statement, leading the League in TD's from 20 or more yards, wasn't a good thing.. Having quick strike capability is always good. 20 game minutes of idleness isn't.

Now, here's my Pie in the Sky forecast; we can't possibly endure as many crippling injuries 2 years in a row, right?? How many street FA's were signed to the roster after the Opener? 15? 20?? Expected improvement from the consistent offensive production and a 2nd year in the Defense SHOULD turn frowns to smiles. We have the bulk of a quality roster signed. There will be $$ to play with next off-season. The offense WILL be better. Injuries will be less.

Playoffs, Baby!

Well said. I agree with most of it.

Well thats kind of a bummer when you put it that way :wacko:

Just trying to level-set the hysteria of the masses since we lost Free Agency this year instead of crushing it.

OK its been said but bares repeating Rex Ryan and his brother are a sideshow...Buddy Ryan'

s underachieving Twins...The Bills have been building for years and now everyone is jumping ship..What other Super Star can they overpay to fill the seats ? I predict a successful 2016 if success is measured by how high they pick in the draft.

Your antiquated comments are a joke because you can't justify them.

Antiquated is a word that means something that used to be modern or leading edge that has lost its position as time has passed. Rex's defense was leading edge back in the Baltimore days. It won them a Super Bowl when he was a defensive assistant. Recently, it has not produced results for half a decade, which in the NFL is an eternity. Yes, he did stop being able to coach defense. That is why I call it antiquated.

I can understand people saying "wrong personnel" or "it could still work under the right circumstances" and things like that, but things become antiquated for different reasons. You might have a working Model T Ford in your driveway. If you lose a race to your neighbor's Subaru does it really matter if it was because the engine design was outdated or that because you couldn't find replacement parts at NAPA and your neighbor could? You still lost the race. The Model T might win a beauty contest but if the purpose is to win the race, the Subaru is superior. Henry Ford was an innovator and should be remembered as such, but if we woke him from the grave and sat him down in front of Subaru's design computers, he'd be lost. This is where Rex has found himself.

As always, I hope I am wrong about Rex, but all of the facts point the other way. A year ago today we were all rightfully excited about what the D could do in 2015. Today, a bunch of them are gone, more still will be asked to play new roles in 2016 and we're supposed to think it will work. Hoping it will work is fine. I hope so. But thinking it will work is another thing altogether.

8-8 is like really really bad huh ?

Whether you're stoned or not, and it is hard to tell, you know I'm right.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Antiquated is a word that means something that used to be modern or leading edge that has lost its position as time has passed. Rex's defense was leading edge back in the Baltimore days. It won them a Super Bowl when he was a defensive assistant. Recently, it has not produced results for half a decade, which in the NFL is an eternity. Yes, he did stop being able to coach defense. That is why I call it antiquated.

I can understand people saying "wrong personnel" or "it could still work under the right circumstances" and things like that, but things become antiquated for different reasons. You might have a working Model T Ford in your driveway. If you lose a race to your neighbor's Subaru does it really matter if it was because the engine design was outdated or that because you couldn't find replacement parts at NAPA and your neighbor could? You still lost the race. The Model T might win a beauty contest but if the purpose is to win the race, the Subaru is superior. Henry Ford was an innovator and should be remembered as such, but if we woke him front the grave and sat him down in front of Subaru's design computers, he'd be lost. This is where Rex has found himself.

As always, I hope I am wrong about Rex, but all of the facts point the other way. A year ago today we were all rightfully excited about what the D could do in 2015. Today, a bunch of them are gone, more still will be asked to play new roles in 2016 and we're supposed to think it will work. Hoping it will work is fine. I hope so. But thinking it will work is another thing altogether.

Total hogwash!

I can understand people saying "wrong personnel" or "it could still work under the right circumstances" and things like that, but things become antiquated for different reasons. You might have a working Model T Ford in your driveway. If you lose a race to your neighbor's Subaru does it really matter if it was because the engine design was outdated or that because you couldn't find replacement parts at NAPA and your neighbor could? You still lost the race. The Model T might win a beauty contest but if the purpose is to win the race, the Subaru is superior. Henry Ford was an innovator and should be remembered as such, but if we woke him front the grave and sat him down in front of Subaru's design computers, he'd be lost. This is where Rex has found himself.

Total hogwash!

He said without refuting a single point.

Look dude, I hope the whole thing goes great and I look like a big idiot. If it does, please feel free to link back to posts like the one i made above and mock me. I won't mind, because it will mean the Bills have won, which is all I care about. It'll be fun.

If you think it is hogwash, tell me which players currently on the roster will improve and thrive because of the system switch. Will Dareus have more impact or less? Kyle?

To me the corners are a wash, Mario is gone, Kyle is probably not going to do well, Dareus will have an adjustment period and then be equal, we don't even have a guy for NT, Hughes is a wash, Graham is getting older and won't suddenly become improved. The change in system will improve nobody, cause decline in a few key players, and gradually make us realize we have an expansion team defense with a head start on talent at corner. Why is that wrong? Who will improve?

Yea that number is based on Top 51 for next year and the assumption the cap rises again. Personally I don't see them asking Kyle for a pay cut and I think they'll cut him next year. This years draft is talent rich at DL, it is perfect time to draft his replacement.

Agreed--I think next offseason you'll also see a re-tooling of the safety position, and probably WR as well.

Next year's UFAs, as of this moment are: Taylor, Glenn, Gilmore, EJ, Bryant, Woods, Lawson, Hogan, Mills, Goodwin, Duke, Gragg, Boykin, Wynn

Notable RFAs include: Butler, Meeks, Gillislee ,Schmidt, Gay, Groy

I know we've hashed this out a bit, but if we start at $60M under, and assume that Kyle and Corey Graham are let go, then that puts you right about $71M under.

From there, we can assume cap hits of approx. $11.5M each for Glenn and Gilmore (http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/185098-we-have-the-worst-cap-situation-in-the-league/page-28?do=findComment&comment=3891541 ), and figure $20M cap hit for Taylor. That brings you down to $28M of space. Subtract out $11M for 2016 and 2017 draft picks and you're down to $17M.

You probably need to tender Butler, Gillislee, and Schmidt, which will take up another $5M or so, knocking you down to $12M.

If we then assume that the 2016 draft has provided replacements for Lawson and Kyle, that means that the team will have $12M with only Bryant as a realistic priority to re-sign. That means that the remainder of the cap room can go to finding a backup QB, starters at WR and safety, a RT, or depth on the DL (we should also note at this point the likelihood that maybe half of those players would be in the fold from either the 2016 or 2017 draft). Any remaining cap money can be used to bring back guys like Groy, Gragg, and one of Boykin or Goodwin if they perform.

Cap situation for next year doesn't look bad at all. The major hurdle to clear--and I have confidence they'll do it soon--is getting Glenn and Gilmore's deals done.

Total hogwash!

Best debater on TBD right here. <_<

Someone writes a well thought out analogy and the response is two words. Typical.

If another poster offends you because they have an opinion contrary to yours, deal with it. Don't have a digital meltdown and refuse to talk to them.

LOL Janis Joplin. The perfect intersection of antiquated, wasted talent, and drugs. Way to keep with the themes.

Don't forget the crybaby part. Look inward.

Team Rex !! Babies like you and Mario can exit stage left.

Still picking up vibes here in Denver that Bills are talking with Broncos about shipping EJ to Denver for a lower round pick. It was on sports talk radio in Denver this morning.

Ej thread Denver style !! Gonna be a good one

Don't forget the crybaby part. Look inward.

Team Rex !! Babies like you and Mario can exit stage left.

Who's the next one to be cast aside? After Brown of course as he has already been marked. Kyle, MD, Gilmore? Who will be the next "crybaby?

Ej thread Denver style !! Gonna be a good one

We might not end up agreeing on how it will work out for Den/Buf, but I definitely agree it will be a good thread.

Truth is I am shocked nobody has picked this up at all. I have heard it twice now on sports talk radio here in Denver. I am a Bills fan stuck in Denver and about crashed the car when I heard it. They are totally freaking out here because they have zero QB's. They need two. They don't even have a backup at this point. I would love the Bills to get something for EJ.

He said without refuting a single point.

Look dude, I hope the whole thing goes great and I look like a big idiot. If it does, please feel free to link back to posts like the one i made above and mock me. I won't mind, because it will mean the Bills have won, which is all I care about. It'll be fun.

If you think it is hogwash, tell me which players currently on the roster will improve and thrive because of the system switch. Will Dareus have more impact or less? Kyle?

To me the corners are a wash, Mario is gone, Kyle is probably not going to do well, Dareus will have an adjustment period and then be equal, we don't even have a guy for NT, Hughes is a wash, Graham is getting older and won't suddenly become improved. The change in system will improve nobody, cause decline in a few key players, and gradually make us realize we have an expansion team defense with a head start on talent at corner. Why is that wrong? Who will improve?

You didn't make any points that were worth refuting. All I have asked you to do is justify your antiquated scheme posts from a football perspective. Is it because the NFL has caught up to that style of defense and rendered it ineffective? If that is the case, please provide evidence. Why did the Bills' 2015 defense fail in some games while showing itself to be effective in others? That's all I would like to see from you. Instead you post silly analogies that have nothing to do with the question. Let's see you expound upon your definitive posts with some real evidence if it isn't too much to ask.

You didn't make any points that were worth refuting. All I have asked you to do is justify your antiquated scheme posts from a football perspective. Is it because the NFL has caught up to that style of defense and rendered it ineffective?

Yes.

If that is the case, please provide evidence.

Rex's defense has not helped a team be a winner in half a decade or more.

Why did the Bills' 2015 defense fail in some games while showing itself to be effective in others? That's all I would like to see from you. Instead you post silly analogies that have nothing to do with the question. Let's see you expound upon your definitive posts with some real evidence if it isn't too much to ask.

One of the reasons for a successful game was Kellen Moore. Thanks Kellen. The other games I remember the defense playing well were:

Indy where we got after the QB

Miami games to an extent because Talleywhacker stinks. Miami 1 a lot of credit goes to the offense but again we got after the QB.

Jets game 2 where the players said the coaches let them go after it.

Pats game 2. It was a loss but we played well. This may have been Rex's best game and really the only one that gives me any hope.

What do you think?

Optimist - Bills roster will be slightly better

Realist - Most other NFL teams roster will be ALOT better......Bills lose ground.

If it's the same players shuffling around to different teams, how can most other NFL teams be a lot better?

It seems like Whaley and Rex think they have at least 3 years to get this thing right which is absolutely ridiculous considering where they were last year at this time.

When/if the team goes 7-9 or 8-8 next year while staying relatively healthy I'm willing to bet Rex and company will get another year in 2017 to get this team into the playoffs as the excuse will be the lack of cap room the year prior to get Rex the guys he needs for his almighty "system".

Beating the dead horse again, I know, but it is unbelievably frustrating what he did to this defense.

So by your own admission, what you have to say is blah2.gif

Startling? Mario and Bradham leaving is startling? There have been no earth shattering departures from the team the way I see it and there is still plenty of time left in the offseason to acquire what they need via second tier free agency, the draft, and from UDFA.

Someone else posted the entire list in another thread. I don't have all the names, but Mario, Bradham, Charles, Leodis, Brooks, Powell are six players that either started or were solid backups. We've done nothing so far to replace them. It looks like we can't do anything in FA due to the cap, so we need to hit nearly everything in the draft and get lucky with our street free agents. Maybe they can pull it together, but it's not looking good right now.

Someone else posted the entire list in another thread. I don't have all the names, but Mario, Bradham, Charles, Leodis, Brooks, Powell are six players that either started or were solid backups. We've done nothing so far to replace them. It looks like we can't do anything in FA due to the cap, so we need to hit nearly everything in the draft and get lucky with our street free agents. Maybe they can pull it together, but it's not looking good right now.

Two key words. Patience man. The new league year just started two days ago.

Exactly! We have 50 dollars of cap space, our depth is being depleted before our very eyes, and the Bills are still in need of starting-caliber players at WR, DE, LB. This coupled with the fact that there is little or no depth at all at LB, the interior of the offensive line, and at safety (if Rambo departs). The last ten roster spots are going to be filled by "players" who should be working at Foot Locker.

Exactly! We have 50 dollars of cap space, our depth is being depleted before our very eyes, and the Bills are still in need of starting-caliber players at WR, DE, LB. This coupled with the fact that there is little or no depth at all at LB, the interior of the offensive line, and at safety (if Rambo departs). The last ten roster spots are going to be filled by "players" who should be working at Foot Locker.

The only player they've lost on offense is Hogan, who wasn't a starter and was a marginal target as a #3 WR. They're returning 11 out of 11 starters from last year.

The defense is going to be re-tooled in the draft, which was the plan all along. FA was always going to be a "dust settles" situation, where they'll look to plug in a contributor or two in key areas.

Panicking that they're following the plan that they laid out last offseason doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Well said. I agree with most of it.

Just trying to level-set the hysteria of the masses since we lost Free Agency this year instead of crushing it.

We cannot Win Every offseason. Peoples expectations are just too high around here.

Rex is going fully pregnant with his antiquated system so just naming players that have left is inaccurate. We have no 34 NTs on the roster, Dareus will be playing at a position that will be a question mark, the system does not fit Kyle, Brown has already been thrown under the bus, we needed a safety before the offseason ever started, Lawson is not a 3 down starter in any position....he is depth, last year's injury excuse was way overblown and we'll have injuries this year too. I'm sure I left stuff out.

In essence, with the exception of 2 quality corners, we are an expansion team on the defensive side because we trashed what had been built and even our more talented players are question marks in their new spots.

For sure Rex Ryan will have revamped the entire defensive line by the time he is done in Buffalo and neither Kyle or Marcell are NT's or DE's. Then Hughes is too small to fit his 3-4 5 technique but should do alright as an OLBer in his 3-4 under.

The Bills will need to find some bigger DE's and a full array of linebackers to fit his 3-4 two gap scheme. That is... if he continues to run that scheme.

However, we all saw some games in which Ryan ran his one-gap scheme like Wade Phillips does and managed to put some serious heat on the opposing QB. The opening game against the Colts in which the Bills brought substantial pressure on Andrew Luck by actually blitzing on 25 of his 55 of Luck's pass dropbacks.

We all saw this again in the second Patriot game in week 11 in which the Bills defense managed to get so much pressure on Brady that he was literally screaming at his O-linemen. (50% of Brady's dropbacks) The Bills brought more pressure than ole Tom had seen in the past seven years and that was without Aaron Williams, Kyle Williams and Mario Williams.

We saw some similar games against Miami 2x and the Jets 2x and the best and brightest of those was in knocking the 10-5 Jets out of the playoffs in week 17. The Bills brought a lot of pressure on Fitz that entire game and managed 3 INT's without Gilmore.

It looked like when Rex Ryan really wanted to win he actually had his team well prepared, well disciplined and actually got some pressure on the opposing QB's.

What was most unusual about the 2015 Buffalo Bills season under Rex Ryan is that he is noted for running a blitz-heavy scheme to the tune of 50%-55% in 2009-2010, to around 35% to 40% 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 seasons. Then he comes to Buffalo to sometimes blitz less than 10% some games last year. Ryan has even stated that "he will bring everyone known to man at you" and yet for the most of 2015 he didn't.

Now Ryan could have been attempting to copy Jim Schwartz in his 4-3 front in which he blitzed very little but managed to lead the NFL in sacks. I saw that Ryan actually had his players in a "wide-nine" formation now and again but who knows what the assignments were and if they were still playing in a two-gap because clearly they managed almost no pressure on the QB aside from those few games I mentioned earlier.

Stating that, should Ryan throw all those bizarre multiple fronts (like that lame wide-nine we saw) in the garbage can and simply run his blitz heavy 4-3 under one-gap scheme like he has in the past then the 2016 defense should be a whole lot better at pressuring the opposing QB. Far, far better than 31st in sacks, 31st in QB pressures.

Then again. we could see that same lack of team discipline, lack of preparedness in another mess of a defense like we all saw for most 2015.

I'm simply venting at the ineptitude of this organization. It really is amazing.

16 !@#$ing years that will in all likelihood be 17. This is so fun.

In all likliehood it will get to 20 plus after Ryan flames out and they give the next guy the three year rebuilding plan, at which time we will probably change back to a 4-3 after spending the previous three seasons drafting talent to fit a 3-4.

Two key words. Patience man. The new league year just started two days ago.

Patience is hard when we're losing players left and right and not backfilling in FA because we have very little cap space. Right now the number of holes being created is a big concern for me. LB, DL, CB, RT, RG, and now WR. We're missing starters and depth. I hope I'm wrong.

Powell didnt play last year and Leodis was out half the year. So we lost 4.5 players.

The only player they've lost on offense is Hogan, who wasn't a starter and was a marginal target as a #3 WR. They're returning 11 out of 11 starters from last year.

The defense is going to be re-tooled in the draft, which was the plan all along. FA was always going to be a "dust settles" situation, where they'll look to plug in a contributor or two in key areas.

Panicking that they're following the plan that they laid out last offseason doesn't seem to make sense to me.

They cut Urbik, a quality backup at guard. We got Miller, Richie, and nobody right now.