Does anyone feel like the roster can be better this year?

Virgil

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Win now" was all the rage around here for the 2014 offseason. We've moved past that and started chanting "continuity" since then.

Not all thought it was the rage. I have been the most vocal detractor about this strategy. Unfortunately as I predicted there was no "win now".

I certainly don't want continuity either. Hopefully after this season this wakes up the Pegulas to the do the same thing they did with the Sabres. Give extensions then fire them...lol.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Step 1: Pretend we were really a 12-4 team last year.

Step 2: Pretend every player no longer here was somehow a detriment to the team.

Corrected:

Step 1: Become very negative and pessimistic

Step 2: Have no faith in Rex and Whaley

Step 3: Drink heavily and post here

step 4: live life as a true Bills fan by continuously cycling through the above year after year

Well, we can get the ball to Sammy all year instead of just the 2nd half of the year, Tyrod can improve, Shady can have a much better year, the oline can play better with more time to gel, we can get more pressure on the QB and our secondary can get better with a year under Rex's system and we can be healthier as a team.

Or we can get decimated with injuries, Shady can show he's over the hill, Tyrod can show he's a 1 year wonder and the defense can be a Rob Ryan special.

If there's any team in the league that can go anywhere from 13-3 to 3-13, it's this one.

Well, we can get the ball to Sammy all year instead of just the 2nd half of the year, Tyrod can improve, Shady can have a much better year, the oline can play better with more time to gel, we can get more pressure on the QB and our secondary can get better with a year under Rex's system and we can be healthier as a team.

Or we can get decimated with injuries, Shady can show he's over the hill, Tyrod can show he's a 1 year wonder and the defense can be a Rob Ryan special.

If there's any team in the league that can go anywhere from 13-3 to 3-13, it's this one.

Or he could get indicted and suspended, saving us a lot of money! Go, Philly DA, go! Open up some cap space for us! Save our season!

Rob Ryan's role I think will be communication

Ok that's just terrifying. Rob was forced out of NOLA in large part because he was routinely late getting his calls in. If he's the communication answer then I hope he's done something that the Ryans aren't exactly known for, which is admitting weaknesses and fixing them instead of doubling down by conducting business as usual.

I don't think the Bills can get worse in the free agency period. None of the losses were that important and they paved the way for OL continuity,

Add a couple of guys that fit Rex better at DL or LB on reasonable deals, the defense should be marginally better. Communication issues get sorted, they're possibly 2 wins better on their own.

We retain pretty much everyone offensively that helped lead the NFL in rushing. 2nd year in a system, QB still on a cheap deal.

I think the team would have to suffer catastrophic injuries to do worse than last year. Being better relies on better coaching/execution. Same as with 31 other teams.

Ok that's just terrifying. Rob was forced out of NOLA in large part because he was routinely late getting his calls in. If he's the communication answer then I hope he's done something that the Ryans aren't exactly known for, which is admitting weaknesses and fixing them instead of doubling down by conducting business as usual.

He means communicating Rex's system to the players in practices etc.

Communication of the play call will still go through Rex or Thurman I'm sure.

Or if you believe Galette, Rob Ryan had much more credibility among defensive players than Payton, and that's why he was tossed.

Buffalo needs starters at DE, NT, LB, and perhaps S. They need depth at G, DL, LB, CB, S, and WR.

They have no cap money to work with and the normal complement of draft picks.

Unless magic pixie dust comes upon this team I fail to see how the roster will be better.

Classic broken Bills fan post. Go find another team to think on. geez.

Stay reasonably healthy and this is a playoff team. (TT stays healthy and they were a playoff team last year, for crying out loud).

Key point: Whaley and the scouting staff have proven themselves in the draft and will do it again this year (hope they trade down for another 2 an 3, that would be awesome) by drafting 2 to 3 starters for 2017. D will be smarter,quicker and more unpredictable with the return of the Williams and the "addition by subtraction" with baby Mario. The Offense can't help but be better as they ran about 10 pages of the playbook last year.... should absolutely break out.

Get yer popcorn. The post-Ralph (RIP, thanks for saving the franchise) era accelerates this year. Don't go to the playoffs until you can make a run. Hope that is this year, but I can wait.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Buffalo needs starters at DE, NT, LB, and perhaps S. They need depth at G, DL, LB, CB, S, and WR.

They have no cap money to work with and the normal complement of draft picks.

Unless magic pixie dust comes upon this team I fail to see how the roster will be better.

Question: You know what's great about hiring a top head coach that knows talent when he sees it and knows how to build a winning team?

Answer: That the team can scrap just about every star player on the team and build a winner out of a bunch of nobody free agents and nobody draft picks. All he needs is a few rah-rah type older vets to lead the young players and show them the ropes. Then this new HC will coach up those young players and even coach up the players that weren't so good previously on the team.

End product you have a playoff team with no problem with cap space just yet and a bunch of young players who believe they can win!

The bottom line is the Buffalo Bills haven't hired him yet.

I don't think the Bills can get worse in the free agency period. None of the losses were that important and they paved the way for OL continuity,

Add a couple of guys that fit Rex better at DL or LB on reasonable deals, the defense should be marginally better. Communication issues get sorted, they're possibly 2 wins better on their own.

We retain pretty much everyone offensively that helped lead the NFL in rushing. 2nd year in a system, QB still on a cheap deal.

I think the team would have to suffer catastrophic injuries to do worse than last year. Being better relies on better coaching/execution. Same as with 31 other teams.

This is far too rational and seems to miss the required pessimism to be in this thread.

Where do you see us drafting the first three rounds or so?

I forgot who you write for. Where's your draft analysis stuff?

HA! He will fit right in with Buffalo because they were already doing that most of 2015. The late play calls, the late player substitutions, lack of team discipline with defensive players not ready when the ball is snapped.

But the players love him because they aren't held accountable and the fans will love to have a beer with him. :beer:

The 2015 NO Saints were 32nd in points allowed and 31st in yards...The Saints set a new league record for the most passing touchdowns allowed with 45 and were considered by some to be the worst defensive team in NFL history.

undefeated1.jpg

I'm thinking the roster will be worse but I'm hoping the coaching will be better.

I'm hoping Rex and Roman will be more effective entering their second years with new systems.

I'm also hoping the roster is actually better in this sense - we're healthier this year. Maybe the 11 we typically line up on each side of the ball is better this year.

Maybe these are all silly hopes but I'm a fan.

Edited by hondo in seattle

HA! He will fit right in with Buffalo because they were already doing that most of 2015. The late play calls, the late player substitutions, lack of team discipline with defensive players not ready when the ball is snapped.

But the players love him because they aren't held accountable and the fans will love to have a beer with him. :beer:

The 2015 NO Saints were 32nd in points allowed and 31st in yards...The Saints set a new league record for the most passing touchdowns allowed with 45 and were considered by some to be the worst defensive team in NFL history.

undefeated1.jpg

And all of that would matter if (a) he were radioing the defensive calls into the huddle (he's not), and (b) he were running the defense (he's not)

Other than that, this is quite the salient point.