Does anyone feel like the roster can be better this year?

Virgil

Do we still have Steward and Powell? Maybe the coaches are high on them... Also, Wynn?

Hopefully getting Aaron and Kyle back... Then use our draft for a starting DE, and maybe LB?

I'm trying to talk myself into believing :lol:

As far as the long list of needs (Which I don't think is that long) I think there are options later in free agency that can help the Bills add a few key depth players. As far as the draft goes they need to find some pass rushers in rounds 1 and 2, then improve the depth of the team in the mid rounds. In the later stages of free agency they can find a NT and a 3-4 MLB option.

There is no doubt that there will be 2-3 holes on the roster and some positions were the team will be a little thin. But remember going into last year QB was a mess, offensive line was a big question mark both in terms of starters and in terms of depth and linebacker was also a concern depth wise. So it's not like last years team was spotless.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the long list of needs (Which I don't think is that long) I think there are options later in free agency that can help the Bills add a few key depth players. As far as the draft goes they need to find some pass rushers in rounds 1 and 2, then improve the depth of the team in the mid rounds. In the later stages of free agency they can find a NT and a 3-4 MLB option.

There is no doubt that there will be 2-3 holes on the roster and some positions were the team will be a little thin. But remember going into last year QB was a mess, offensive line was a big question mark both in terms of starters and in terms of depth and linebacker was also a concern depth wise. So it's not like last years team was spotless.

That's the nature of the modern (read "salary capped") NFL--teams will almost always have weaknesses. Drafting well helps and hopefully allows your strengths to mask your weaknesses....

Only thing we'll be better at is Offence. TT having the entire off season to get 1st string reps having built some chemistry already with the guys this past season. Losing Hogan was not important, imo Little and Boykin are better wrs. It seems to have been forever since any new info has come out about the McCoy incident so at this point i'm 100% sure he won't see charges and won't miss any time.

Defensively...... well we lost a guy that was a pouty B word, but was also a great player. Luckily this draft is DEEP at that exact position. We lost McKelvin which was nice depth, but honestly he single-handedly lost us a game every year. He was also starting to get older, has had some injuries. I'm ok with looking to replace him. I am concerned about Kyle Williams age, we will need to find a replacement for him and soon. Losing Powell and Bradigm wasn't that big a lose due entirely to scheme ( i personally thought they were decent enough at their positions)

Losing Boobie and Percy - meh - neither one really contributed.

Things we really really need to do and I would love to do for this season. Sign Gilmore to a long term contract based on the Jenkins contract. I would imagine this would be a good deal for both sides:

6 yrs, 75 million, 25 million signing bonus (splits to 5 million a year over 5 years) set the first year to something like 2 million so his cap hit is only 7 million this year. Set the next year to 5 million upping the cap hit to 10 that season (we pick up 7 million anyway from mario's dead cap hit this year, meaning we'd still pick up 5million in room the second season). Basically this would average out to 12.5 million a year over 6 years but would free up 4 million for this year (his current hit is 11 million).would mean that in the first 2 seasons of the contract he would get 32 million but only cost our cap an average of 8.5million a year.

This would put us at 8 millions in cap space for this season, and that's a !@#$ ton better than the 4 we're sitting at. I have to tell you, the Jerry Hughes contract is looking more and more like a steal all things considered.

We will have 2 other major contract concerns in 2017: Glenn and TT.

We'd be wise to lock up Glenn long term. Similar contract structure to what i proposed for Gilmore, make it over 7 years and base it around the Tyron Smith and Kelechi numbers/contracts.

As for TT...... sigh it all comes down to performance man. We can only hope to get him on a similar cost per year as the Bradford if TT performs well.

Long story short.... Offence should be better. Defense, idk man, could it really be worse than last year?

That's the nature of the modern (read "salary capped") NFL--teams will almost always have weaknesses. Drafting well helps and hopefully allows your strengths to mask your weaknesses....

This is so true.

And where Coaching really matters.

Hiding/minimizing the weaknesses and accentuating the strengths.

The roster does not need to be better so much as the Coach needs to get full effort from his players and understand them as best a s possible.

Please do not turn this into a Rex thing.

I am talking conceptually.

good Post MattM !

If Taylor, McCoy, Watkins, Glenn, Clay and Incognito all play as good as last year, and the defense can make up for the holes created with the losses of Williams and McKelvin, we should have a good shot to get to 8-8 next year even though we have a tougher schedule.

This makes no sense

If this all happened last year we are would have been in the playoffs last year....saying that everything has to go right in order to get the same record just makes no sense

Yes, yes it could be.

But using your own logic, if a year of continuity is good for TT and the offense, why would it not be beneficial to the defense?

I guess my statement wasn't clear. I ment the same for the D. Basically we got rid of players that don't fit the scheme and/or were unhappy. I was trying to point out that, with all that talent, in a band new D that was so complex and different from what they had been running, with a second year of learning the D and maybe better personnel for it, they could be better. I just..... I don't want to see Kyle Williams drop back in coverage ever again :( Saw it during the giants game and i've never seen someone look so lost and confused.

Overall we could be better, or possible the same.

I guess my statement wasn't clear. I ment the same for the D. Basically we got rid of players that don't fit the scheme and/or were unhappy. I was trying to point out that, with all that talent, in a band new D that was so complex and different from what they had been running, with a second year of learning the D and maybe better personnel for it, they could be better. I just..... I don't want to see Kyle Williams drop back in coverage ever again :( Saw it during the giants game and i've never seen someone look so lost and confused.

Overall we could be better, or possible the same.

Gotcha. :beer: