Does anyone feel like the roster can be better this year?

Virgil

Here we sit, having obviously Lost FA - unlike other years when we crushed it.

We're $78 Million OVER the cap right now - unlike other years when we could put that money into the bank and give ourselves a tax-free loan next year.

The FO didn't re-sign any players of significance - just like other years they've simply let an endless stream of valuable talent parade out the door.

They hired a new coaching staff again, for the second year in a row. So new schemes, confusing playbooks with a long learning curve, and disappointment await for sure.

Our featured running back is awaiting murder charges in Philadelphia.

We're not drafting in a top 10 spot this year - unlike the past 40 seasons, so we'll be getting zero help in the Draft.

And you ask if anyone feels like the roster can be better this year. Better than what?

Losing free agency with its early frenzied silly spending spree is winning in many cases.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have like $5 mill in cap space right now, who are they going to sign in the mid-tier market that could improve this club?

Here's a list of guys off the top of my head:

Terrence Knighton

Vincent Rey

Jermon Bushrod

Geoff Schwartz

BJ Raji

Zach Brown

I'm sure there are others if I put any effort into looking...

I think it's average. They have good corners, a not great safety situation, terrible LBs overall, a pretty solid defensive line lacking a critical piece right now, an offensive line that is good one side and terrible on the other, good RBs, a TE who gets hurt (with no depth behind him), 1 good WR, and a promising QB who may or not turn out to be the answer. At least half the teams in the league are in as good shape as the Bills. Who after all went 8-8 last year and would have gone 8-8 the year before if the season finale had meant anything to the Pats.

Where the roster is not lacking in talent (QB, S, LB) it is significantly above average. Which means, on the whole, it's above average, IMO.

Roster seems pretty poised to break out. Now the coach has to not get out coached.

I don't agree....the cap problem is causing us to get rid of journeyman pro's that are the heart of the team........Mc Kelvin is one......I think special teams may be a problem loosing Boobie, maybe Hogan....who knows if Easley can come back from the knee injury.........although I think loosing Brooks is a positive....he had head/control problems.....and he was a slow CB. I don't know how the Eagles found $6mil over two years for him. Ryan's move to "his" D is part of the depressing move from 4x3 to 3x4 to 4x3 to 3x4 etc etc that has been going on for more than a decade. We had great 4x3 D under Schwartz, and the personnel were mostly not 3x4c oriented. So, major turnover again........and again...and again......and again. Anybody else depressed about the franchise never settling down to one D scheme for 3 years in a row? In the current case, I blame the rookie owners for a bad hire in Ryan.....a clown....and we now have twin clowns.

I think it's average. They have good corners, a not great safety situation, terrible LBs overall, a pretty solid defensive line lacking a critical piece right now, an offensive line that is good one side and terrible on the other, good RBs, a TE who gets hurt (with no depth behind him), 1 good WR, and a promising QB who may or not turn out to be the answer. At least half the teams in the league are in as good shape as the Bills. Who after all went 8-8 last year and would have gone 8-8 the year before if the season finale had meant anything to the Pats.

I just think our grading system is different dave

Where you list players and "good" and "solid" I see some of the best players in the league.

Even in this pipe dream, your context is landing 1 of these players correct?

Good grief, it's not a pipe dream. It's reality. You can criticize the cap management, but total ignorance of the current market is a silly way to try to make a point.

And I would say that, given how contracts are structured, they could afford to add, say, Knighton and Brown, as an example.

They'll depend upon extensions to Glenn and Gilmore for the cap space to sign rookies.

Good grief, it's not a pipe dream. It's reality. You can criticize the cap management, but total ignorance of the current market is a silly way to try to make a point.

And I would say that, given how contracts are structured, they could afford to add, say, Knighton and Brown, as an example.

They'll depend upon extensions to Glenn and Gilmore for the cap space to sign rookies.

So even under your hypothetical as of right now they can only sign one of Knighton or Brown and that is even a stretch...wow!!! Overdorf is a genius and Whaley is a top 5 GM!

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

IF (and it's a huge "IF") we can stay healthy, Rex can get the D playing top 5 ball, and Tyrod takes another step forward, we should be a better team and perhaps substantially better team.

Those are some big "IFs." Reminds me of just about every season for Buffalo.

Where the roster is not lacking in talent (QB, S, LB) it is significantly above average. Which means, on the whole, it's above average, IMO.

Being good at RB doesn't offset being poor at QB, S, and LB.

There isn't another position on the roster they have good starters and decent depth.

Now, I'm sure someone will note that it's early in the off-season...and it is. Unfortunately, they have nothing besides draft picks to address those areas.

The real agenda revealed again.

Not really. The fact they can't afford mid-tier free agents is a reality. With further manipulation they might land one guy at best. But when you look at the cost of all the restructures and cuts they are still behind and will have to look at the draft to land about 4 players to improve to be a playoff contender...that is with staying healthy at key positions...

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

So even under your hypothetical as of right now they can only sign one of Knighton or Brown and that is even a stretch...wow!!! Overdorf is a genius and Whaley is a top 5 GM!

No

Knoghton has a current value of $1.4M per according to Spptrac.

Brown is probably twice that

Math

Edited by thebandit27

I really dont think it is a average roster

I think we are in better shape then most.....and most of them are already under contract

Yep. Just read this entire thread and your post come closest to my opinion. At the risk of taking Rex off the Hot Seat, our offense played as equal a part in the drop off on defense. For as exciting as Roman's offense could be with Tyrod, Sammy and a productive ground game, we had a million 3 & outs. The criticism of Tyrod NOT attempting many middle field throws and only one 4th quarter comeback (Tenn) that cost him a couple games on the bench rehabbing, we didn't have many clock consuming drives that relate to better defensive stats. In at least 4 games, the offense was non-existent for the middle quarters while the opponent racked up double digit leads.

A full year of the Roman Empire offense under the belt and the evident growth of Taylors' confidence as the season wore on WILL make for a better team showing. In an anti-statement, leading the League in TD's from 20 or more yards, wasn't a good thing.. Having quick strike capability is always good. 20 game minutes of idleness isn't.

Now, here's my Pie in the Sky forecast; we can't possibly endure as many crippling injuries 2 years in a row, right?? How many street FA's were signed to the roster after the Opener? 15? 20?? Expected improvement from the consistent offensive production and a 2nd year in the Defense SHOULD turn frowns to smiles. We have the bulk of a quality roster signed. There will be $$ to play with next off-season. The offense WILL be better. Injuries will be less.

Playoffs, Baby!

One could easily make the argument that moving on from Mario, bradham and leodis will be addition by subtraction for our defense. We also added Ed reed and the other Ryan. Who both would be experts in this system. I expect the players to buy in 100 percent and a year of growth for the offense