Are we actually considering Harvin????

According to WGR Sal Carpaccio the Bills are considering resigning Percy Harvin in an effort to support Sammy.

WHAT? Harvin has disappointed every team he has ever played on. I am not knowledgeable enough to determine why Seattle cut his a?? in mid season, or why he failed to complete his Jets Season 2 years ago, or why the best special teams player in the NFC was sent packing but my guess would be more mental illness than physical. He has a history of failing teammates and teams at the most sensitive of times. That may be uncontrollable by PH, but when he is on your team it is always the shoe you are waiting to drop.

IMHO his history speaks loudly and we should not be considering keeping this problem. We are not in the business of healing lost souls. If he had injured his leg and was not capable of making cuts to the left we would not be having this conversation.

What say you?

To answer your questions, he wasn't cut by Seattle. He was traded, because he was causing problems by complaining that he wasn't used effectively enough as a WR early in the 2014 season and allegedly punched Golden Tate in the face during Super Bowl week. He didn't finish the season with the Jets because he got hurt. He got traded by the Vikes because they got a great offer from Seattle and he was unreliable and a literal headache with migraines, etc.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I can't believe that the possibility of re-signing Harvin is on the Bills' radar. Signing him last year was stupid, but re-signing him would be unforgivable. I know some people will throw around stipulations like "incentive based", "cheap" and "at the right price" - and a case can be made for that kind of deal, but no way do I want him on the team. He has done nothing but make teams regret having him on their roster. Mario has gotten a lot of grief for "quitting" on the team for dogging it on the field. How can anyone upset about that want to put the guy who quit and went home back on the team?

I can't believe that the possibility of re-signing Harvin is on the Bills' radar. Signing him last year was stupid, but re-signing him would be unforgivable. I know some people will throw around stipulations like "incentive based", "cheap" and "at the right price" - and a case can be made for that kind of deal, but no way do I want him on the team. He has done nothing but make teams regret having him on their roster. Mario has gotten a lot of grief for "quitting" on the team for dogging it on the field. How can anyone upset about that want to put the guy who quit and went home back on the team?

This is the Bills FO. What else could be expected?

This is the Bills FO. What else could be expected?

This is rather sad, but true.

He played in only 5 games last year before his injury and 13 games the year before that with the same injury. An ongoing thing that hasn't fully healed? One game the year before that and 9 games the year before that.

So, out of the last 64 games he has played in only 28 games.

I'd pass.

Harvin is a great player with serious health issues. Write a contract that is appropriate for a guy with his history of missing games and get the dude in camp.

Stop saying its a waste of money when you don't know what the money is. He's a perfect incentive based contract guy. He freaks out cb's with that burst, they play wayyyy back on percy and he can stop on a dime for that 6 yard 1st down catch too.

Harvin is a great player with serious health issues. Write a contract that is appropriate for a guy with his history of missing games and get the dude in camp.

Stop saying its a waste of money when you don't know what the money is. He's a perfect incentive based contract guy. He freaks out cb's with that burst, they play wayyyy back on percy and he can stop on a dime for that 6 yard 1st down catch too.

that's a good assessment IMO. We don't know if they will sign him and for what. He's certainly worth a small deal, and the structure theoretically could be like what Miami gave Jordan Cameron last year who also had health issues. I believe he was paid per game played. If he was hurt and didn't play in a game he wasn't paid. It's hard to get an agent to agree to that but it all depends on what other teams are or aren't offering. In Jordan Cameron's case there appeared to be little interest in him around the league due to his injury history so he accepted the contract with Miami. That could happen here too.

As long as we put controls in place so we have no risk, nothing more than the minimum and no guarantees, bringing him into camp is not a big deal. We lose next to nothing, and if he performs, great.

Anything more is a mistake. Too bad such a talented person has been so riddled with injuries.

Harvin is a great talent when he is healthy. His biggest sin last year was getting hurt and frustrated and debating retirement.

If he is healthy, I want him

The problem is, even if he starts the season healthy he's going to get tackled. In flag football, he's probably a HOF player.

They need a real #2 WR.

I do not get the dislike for Harvin.

Look, if you want to say that you would prefer a receiver who is less injury prone, I get it. And yes, Harvin is a risk in that area.

But we need a #2 who can stretch the field. Let's talk free agents we can afford: Anquan Boldin, Roddy White and PerCy Harvin.

Boldin and White are well past their high speed days. So unless someone thinks that we can make something out of Goodwin or Dez Lewis, our options are Harvin, or someone in the first three rounds of the draft.

Woods still can be a solid #2. They need to open up the passing game with some more intermediate routes, which are his specialty. The guy is gritty and they need to use him better.

Having said that, signing Harvin to small, incentive-based contract is an idea worth exploring. He's really good when healthy.

I do not get the dislike for Harvin.

Look, if you want to say that you would prefer a receiver who is less injury prone, I get it. And yes, Harvin is a risk in that area.

But we need a #2 who can stretch the field. Let's talk free agents we can afford: Anquan Boldin, Roddy White and PerCy Harvin.

Boldin and White are well past their high speed days. So unless someone thinks that we can make something out of Goodwin or Dez Lewis, our options are Harvin, or someone in the first three rounds of the draft.

Cruz could still be an FA.

Cruz could still be an FA.

Could be, and to be honest, I would like to have him.

But the Giants aren't hurting for cap space, and they may be letting Randle walk. And his health situation has been even worse than Harvin's the last two years. And even then, there's no assurance he'd want to come here.

But the Giants aren't hurting for cap space, and they may be letting Randle walk. And his health situation has been even worse than Harvin's the last two years. And even then, there's no assurance he'd want to come here.

Well they gave him a pay-cut ultimatum, so I wouldn't be so sure.

Is there an assurance Harvin wants to come here? And their injury histories are pretty different. Cruz hasn't been battling a chronic injury like Harvin AFAIK.

Draft, UFA, or under a rock. Anywhere but in his direction.

I'll repeat what I said a few posts up:

It's not a great WR group in FA, and out of the ones we can afford, it's likely Harvin, Roddy White or Boldin.

There's grooming a WR in house, which would mean Woods, Goodwin, Dez Lewis or Boykin taking a major step forward. It might happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The WR draft class early reports are that it's shallow, and overall one of the slowest in recent memory, so we better use a high draft pick in a year that we need to fill at least one slot each at LB, DL and possibly OG.

To me, the safest bet is Harvin on a vet minimum base with incentives and drafting a mid round guy to groom to replace him is the safest bet.

If people can think of a better reasonable plan, please share with me. I am seriously all ears.

I think a healthy Woods can be a solid #2 WR if he needs to be. The real problem is after that; they need someone better than Hogan.

You won't get better than Harvin for the money he's likely to get. When healthy, Watkins/Harvin/Woods is an outstanding WR core. Keep looking for someone better than Hogan so that when Harvin goes out you can still have a decent #3 on the field, and I will like the signing.

It's not a great WR group in FA, and out of the ones we can afford, it's likely Harvin, Roddy White or Boldin.

There's grooming a WR in house, which would mean Woods, Goodwin, Dez Lewis or Boykin taking a major step forward. It might happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The WR draft class early reports are that it's shallow, and overall one of the slowest in recent memory, so we better use a high draft pick in a year that we need to fill at least one slot each at LB, DL and possibly OG.

To me, the safest bet is Harvin on a vet minimum base with incentives and drafting a mid round guy to groom to replace him is the safest bet.

If people can think of a better reasonable plan, please share with me. I am seriously all ears.

IMO there is no safest bet with him. My biggest concern with Harvin is his obvious inability to stay healthy. I'd hate for the Bills to waste any cap space at all on him and end up with him being on the shelf yet again.

I would be heavily in favor of signing Mohamed Sanu in FA...if he'll come for $3M/year or less. He's got size, speed, and versatility. He can play in the slot, on the boundary, and in unique sub-packages (i.e. he can take QB snaps in the wildcat).

Perfect fit in a Roman offense.

A better reasonable plan is using that money on literally anyone else. The best ability is availability and Harvin doesn't fit the bill.

I would be heavily in favor of signing Mohamed Sanu in FA...if he'll come for $3M/year or less. He's got size, speed, and versatility. He can play in the slot, on the boundary, and in unique sub-packages (i.e. he can take QB snaps in the wildcat).

Perfect fit in a Roman offense.

I'd love that. I'm just worrying that he'll go for more than that a year, and we'd struggle to fit him into the cap this year.

I'd love that. I'm just worrying that he'll go for more than that a year, and we'd struggle to fit him into the cap this year.

Could be...Spotrac has him at right around $4M now, but who knows what teams around the league are thinking?

@edwerderESPN

#Giants have informed WR Victor Cruz they will release him unless he agrees to pay cut. Negotiations under way, per source

Well they gave him a pay-cut ultimatum, so I wouldn't be so sure.

Is there an assurance Harvin wants to come here? And their injury histories are pretty different. Cruz hasn't been battling a chronic injury like Harvin AFAIK.

Besides missing the last two years due to a devastating knee injury, you are absolutely correct