NFL.com: Buffalo Bills All-time underrated, overrated player

truth on hold

One that stood out as far as under rated is Butch Byrd. Not familiar with him, but this guy had some serious stats.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000214805/article/buffalo-bills-alltime-underrated-overrated-players

Per wikipedia still leads the team in picks, pick return yards, and pick 6's.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Byrd

Edited by truth on hold

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One that stood out as far as under rated is Butch Byrd. Not familiar with him, but this guy had some serious stats.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000214805/article/buffalo-bills-alltime-underrated-overrated-players

Per wikipedia still leads the team in picks, pick return yards, and pick 6's.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Byrd

Butch was a star in his time. Underrated now because he's been largely forgotten, but not underrated in the 60s.

I was just a kid back then,learning to play football on the neighborhood streets. My little friends and I would say we were Butch Byrd after picking off a pass.

Can't agree with Beebe. He didn't have the stats of the other receivers of his era because he was a complimentary piece. He played his role well and contributed when called upon.

I do agree with Beebe a little. Wasn't a great route runner. Dropped too many balls. Wouldn't be remembered hardly at all if he hadn't played on great teams.

Byrd was far from underrated. He received significant props league-wide and in the press.

Agree with this because my dad who was a fan as far back as the 60s loved to talk about him. He was quick to point out he was an All Pro during the championship 60 s years.

I disagree with Joe Ferguson being overrated, and I think the article is littered with several inaccuracies, not the best written.

BTW, Ferguson played that game against the Chargers with such a badly injured ankle he could barely stand up.

Underrated- Big Ted

Big Ted was great, but I'm not sure who underrated him. Not college scouts, he was a first round draft pick. Not opposing defensive coordinators. Not his peers, who voted him to 3 pro bowls as a Bill. Not the fans. I guess Bills management, who asked him to take pay cuts 2 years in a row. I'm glad he won a super bowl, he was a class act who did a lot for the community.

Overrated - Ruben Brown

Underrated - John Fina

Big Ted was great, but I'm not sure who underrated him. Not college scouts, he was a first round draft pick. Not opposing defensive coordinators. Not his peers, who voted him to 3 pro bowls as a Bill. Not the fans. I guess Bills management, who asked him to take pay cuts 2 years in a row. I'm glad he won a super bowl, he was a class act who did a lot for the community.

Overrated - Ruben Brown

Underrated - John Fina

He was great and I would think there would be more discussion about him as such. That's why I think he's underrated

Edited by SWATeam

• Don Beebe does not belong on overrated list. He doesn't belong on any list, really. Criticizing him for never reaching 700 yards in a season as what was normally the #3 WR is a bit overzealous and reaching.
  • Adam Linger belongs on the underrated list. The guy was solid. In key times, Super Bowls - he was flawless. If Norwood gets credit anywhere than Linger deserves some, too.
  • Fred Smerlas was before my time, but by all accounts I have ever read there is no reason to not consider him as one of the best Bills of all time.
  • Keith McKellar before Kenneth Davis, IMO, for underrated.

Recent history overrated

• Marshawn Lynch as a Buffalo Bill was nothing extraordinary. In Seattle, he was better.

Underrated

• ​Travis Henry if not for a long list of great RB's, he could have been the best two or 3 this team has ever had.

I agree with you on Sam Cowart. He was fantastic. That 2000 season went down the tubes when he was injured.

For a couple of seasons, Cowart was the best ILB in the league. Is his son playing college ball now? I remember seeing someone with his name playing for an SEC team this fall.

underrated: Sam Cowart

overrated: London Fletcher

Good call on Sam Cowart. He was tremendous before he got hurt.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I will add WR Jerry Butler as underrated. I think he might have become the best WR in team history had he not gotten injured. Back in those days, guys didn't often come back from injuries the way that they can today.

Overrated by Bills management: Chris Kelsay.

Underrated: Darryl Talley. He was the heart and soul of that Bills defense and was only in 2 Pro Bowls

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

He was great and I would think there would be more discussion about him as such. That's why I think he's underrated

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Overrated - Ruben Brown

Underrated - John Fina

Steve O is a fan who appreciates the trenches!

Fina is probably underrated. A good/great player largely forgotten now.

Ruben Brown has a resume like a Hall of Famer - 9 Pro Bowl selections, 4 time All Pro. He was good, just not that good.

Under rated:Jim Dunaway. Some legal problems of his own. Killed his wife.

George Saimes

Not actual part of the discussions but Tom Sestak is one of the best of the best.

Young people use google.

Edited by JohnC

Under rated:Jim Dunaway. Some legal problems of his own. Killed his wife.

George Saimes

Not actual part of the discussions but Tom Sestak is one of the best of the best.

Young people use google.

George Saimes was far from underrated

We had some guys with very short stays who you'll never hear about because they had career ending injuries early on. One who comes to mind was Ben Gregory, a bruising rookie fullback who looked like a future Pro Bowler until he totally tore up his knee.