McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

I didn't read it either, but I'm guessing you are 100% correct!

Pretty much, yes. I felt compelled to leave a comment, which I rarely do. Probably better if I just avoid it entirely.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding calling 911:

I presume that these off duty police officers have the direct number to police department and would be able to get officers there right away -- without having to call 911.

Would that be incorrect?

Which he will probably do

People should EXPECT that.....I think we actually are ok at the RB position for a few games is that is all it is.

If McCoy misses time it will have a negative impact. Karlos Williams was at his best spelling Shady. Los runs high and gets hit hard, he is a complimentary piece until he proves otherwise. Gillislee is an unknown in both the passing and running game.

That brings me to the oft overlooked part of Shadys game. He was our best blocking back last year along with being the best RB.

It will probably be much easier to appeal/reduce if he's not charged though I would think.

He'll most likely be suspended by the team like Aaron Kromer was. All chargers were dropped on Kromer and the team still suspended him for 6 games.

He'll most likely be suspended by the team like Aaron Kromer was. All chargers were dropped on Kromer and the team still suspended him for 6 games.

Completely different scenario. Who knows what they'll do. The NFLPA would certainly get involved on his behalf.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Um no offense but I'm pretty sure Shady, and most NFL players, would dismantle 98% of dudes in a "real fight" in "your father's home town", whatever that means. I think I'd put my money on the world class professional athlete over dad any day lol.

I was responding to a poster who said his father had to survive frequent bare knuckle fights in the Soviet Union growing up.

As for the bolded, maybe hockey players, yes. Have you ever seen NBA players, MLB or soccer players go at it? They aren't fighters.

Hard to know if Shady could (without 3 others guys jumping in) beat down a tough guy who knows how to fight. Certainly wouldn't know it from that fight, where he's going to town on a guy on the floor.

Anyway, these guys were fighting over champagne. Anyone doubt they would have burned the place to the ground if those cops took their tray of Appletinis and fuzzy navel shots?

I got a honest question. If the point of having off duty cops at your bar I assume was to keep the peace & prevent bar fights, why in the world would a bar owner hire these off duty cops if they basically were doing the exact opposite & instigating the fights. If I was the bar owner & as you described happened one time I would tell them your services are no longer needed here.

I don't remember the exact reason why they were there(i think drugs and underage drinking) but the owners of a couple clubs definitely didn't want them there but couldn't get rid of them. They weren't at every bar, i think the city wanted them at the trouble spots IIRC. They(cops) treated it like it was their private party. On duty officers would drive up and talk to the girls for a while. Edited by Not at the table Karlos

Regarding calling 911:

I presume that these off duty police officers have the direct number to police department and would be able to get officers there right away -- without having to call 911.

Would that be incorrect?

That is likely true but the advantage of a 911 call is there a recording of the conversation that can be presented as evidence. Calling the station directly may or may not be over a recorded line so some potential record may be lost. Another option would have been for the off duty officers to make an arrest on the scene. Generally, police departments have an off duty code of conduct policy which describes the officers responsibility and authority when off duty. Not being familiar with Philadelphia's I can't say for sure but generally when an off duty officer witnesses a potential felony crime in progress they are compelled to act. The fact they choose to do neither of these, call it in or make an arrest, will raise questions from a competent defense attorney about the event. Perhaps their active participation in the brawl or intoxication led to their lack of action? But I speculate here.

Does McCoy have to be charged and or arrested in order for him to be suspended?

No, not at all. Example: In September 2014, IK Enemkpali was suspended 4 games for breaking Geno Smith's jaw in the locker room that summer. No charges were filed against Enemkpali. In April 2010, Ben Roethlisberger was suspended for 6 games (later reduced to 4) for "violations of the league's personal conduct policy" for his involvement in an alcohol-fueled rape allegation in March 2010, for which the DA decided against charges (the suspension may have in part been reaction to a 2009 lawsuit alleging sexual assault - "I'm seeing a pattern here, Benjamin")

Any kind of negative PR for the league can be deemed to violate the league's personal conduct policy and result in suspension.

Regarding calling 911:

Would that be incorrect?

Uncertain. Philly PD a big department with numerous precincts. Main office administrative, may or may not be staffed o/n and weekend. Police may have phone # for their home precinct memorized, unlikely to have all precinct #s memorized. They may have wallet card with other precincts #s. Unless they are in their home precinct, would have to know what precinct they're in, dig out card, look up number, call 7 numbers. "911" simpler, quicker, provides location information, generates recording.

Don't off-duty cops become on duty when there is a possible crime in progress?

Not if they are impaired by alcohol or drugs. See relevant statute cited earlier in thread.

Are we going to have a "predict the suspension" thread? I think he will be charged but plead it down to a misdemeanor with no jail time and a fine and community service and then probably have to pay these guys off so they don't bring up a civil suit. So I'll guess a 4 game suspension. If he's not charged then 2. If he goes to jail then maybe 6 at the most. He's getting suspended for sure though. What a dummy