McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

Not sure how it translates but Blake Griffin was just suspended 4 games without pay for beating up the Clippers staff member at a restaurant. Matt Barnes was suspended 2 games for punching Derek Fisher earlier in the year. Griffin's suspension was longer because of the severity of the injuries.

I would think that the NFL equivalent would be 1-2 games. Shady' incident being so public would probably be similar to Blake. 2 games is most likely the max as it looks now. If some new evidence comes out I suppose that could change but it'd have to be significant for the penalty to look like Greg Hardy's.

speaking of suspensions for punching/injuring, IK was suspended 4 games for breaking Geno's jaw. And he wasn't arrested or charged with anything. That might be a decent frame of reference, not sure.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know Griffin got suspended. Since he's hurt anyway, are they waiting until he is ready to play?

Clippers suspended him for 4 games once he is healthy for punching a team employee.

Another bar room brawl. Happens all the time in the real world in the heat of the moment. The cops may have been drunk and instigated things for all we know. Not giving McCoy a pass but quite honestly I don't care. Like Charles Barkely said, athletes are not role models.

Yes sir. This x 1000

I understand.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm a brawler or anything. Most confrontations end with stare downs anyway.

But I was raised by a father who fought bare knuckle to survive in the Soviet Union. I don't look down on it the way many in the USA do. I believe that sometimes guys just need to fight and if they do, just let it happen. Fights should end with a great story to tell, not police charges. Many times you befriend the guys you just fought. I know I have in the past.

And these guys that we're sitting here judging from our computers were raised in some pretty tough places. And even if they didn't grow up in tough places, they were still raised poor or had relatives they looked up to that were pretty bad role models. Sure, they have millions, but are you really surprised they are still attracted to where they came from?

I don't know. I just think this is all much ado about nothing. I find the fact that the guys they beat up happened to be cops is funny. But now the media and lawyers get involved and it's a big mess.

:thumbsup:

Were there beach chairs involved?

exactly. who cares? suspend him a few games and be done with it. this is the NFL, not high school or college. super violent game played violently for very very high stakes by borderline crazy people in many cases. many of them with barely high school educations and ghetto/streetcorner upbringings. this is the NFL. too much media. too much media. I would hate to have Goodell's job, trying to keep a shiny image on a league where the games are played by crazies. Vontaze Burfict, guy's freakin' crazy, for example.

These are testosterone loaded NFL guys, not boy scouts. who hasn't been in a bar fight in their 20's. gosh, the NFL has dozens of "bad asses" on its rosters. If not for iphone video and the internet, we would hear little about this, the police would find out their was all kinds of alcohol-fueled blame on both sides and send everyone home. good gosh, a bar fight.. wow, big news... geez

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

I didn't know Griffin got suspended. Since he's hurt anyway, are they waiting until he is ready to play?

Yes, According to what I read in the paper today he won't be suspended until he is cleared to play. That is not to say that the team won't start the suspension just prior to being ready.

speaking of suspensions for punching/injuring, IK was suspended 4 games for breaking Geno's jaw. And he wasn't arrested or charged with anything. That might be a decent frame of reference, not sure.

IK wasn't charged because the victim (qb Smith) didn't file a complaint. If he did the case would have been investigated by the authorities.

Reports are that it is imminent. In a day or two they should be issued. At least that is what some reports indicate.

So it seemed to me that your claim was, the case was likely to be clear-cut with all witnesses etc telling the same story as shown by the fact that the arrest warrants were issued so fast.

Now we're back to the reported news, no arrest warrants yet, several days.

You can't use "arrest warrants issued so quickly" as an argument that the case is cut-n-dry with easily discernible facts, unless the arrest warrants have in fact been issued. "Imminent" doesnt mean too much. It could mean the DA looks at what they got, says "there isn't a winnable case here, see what else you can dig up" and throws it back. Or it could mean today. Won't know til it happens.

So it seemed to me that your claim was, the case was likely to be clear-cut with all witnesses etc telling the same story as shown by the fact that the arrest warrants were issued so fast.

You can't use "arrest warrants issued so quickly" as an argument that the case is cut-n-dry with easily discernible facts, unless the arrest warrants have in fact been issued. "Imminent" doesnt mean too much. It could mean the DA looks at what they got, says "there isn't a winnable case here, see what else you can dig up" and throws it back. Or it could mean today. Won't know til it happens.

A quick look at that video clip makes it easy to tell that all of the witnesses will most definitely not be telling the same story.

These are testosterone loaded NFL guys, not boy scouts. who hasn't been in a bar fight in their 20's. gosh, the NFL has dozens of "bad asses" on its rosters. If not for iphone video and the internet, we would hear little about this, the police would find out their was all kinds of alcohol-fueled blame on both sides and send everyone home. good gosh, a bar fight.. wow, big news... geez

I think, if police officers were not involved, that is pretty much what would have happened, iphone video or no iphone video. The police aren't interested in putting a lot of legwork into figuring out what happened in a drunken brawl with ordinary human beings unless someone died or was seriously injured (and despite the serious injuries claim, these guys were not seriously injured) or weapons were involved. I'm not sure the iphone videos are admissible in court.

As I said before, EVERYONE involved in this situation, off-duty cops, McCoy, McCoy's crew, are a bunch of idiots. I can't imagine a situation as a grown adult being in a situation where I would go somewhere that things like this could happen or even if they started to, not trying to de-escalate the situation very quickly.

A few points, the story that is coming out is not a good excuse. An argument over a bottle of champagne. HA! Grow up. Racist comments? Everyone involved was black!

Second, related to McCoy, the video that surfaced of him going nuts showed that people were trying to hold him back and he fought through it and was attacking someone who was not a threat and was on the ground. Not a good look.

Third and related to some other posters comments, IF it was a situation where McCoy and his friends were jumped, assaulted without knowing it was coming, whatever, then sure, of course you have to stand there and help out your friends or defend yourself. But it doesn't appear that's the case based on what's coming out and what the video shows. Rather it sounds like a bunch of losers acting tough and not a single person with a cool head trying to calm the situation.

Unfortunately for McCoy, he needs to be better than that.

Edited by dubs

The attorneys review the warrants. That is normal. If the police have a flimsy case then the prosecuting attorney's won't sign off on the warrant. It's not unusual for the police to be told they need more evidence or issues need to be clarified. This case has been moving very quickly. Maybe not to your liking but there has been a quick response. If there is a delay that isn't a bad thing. It is a good thing in that the investigation is being carefully done.

As I said in the prior posts the fact that the police quickly drew up warrants (not yet reviewed by the prosecutor) indicated to me that they had or felt they had enough evidence to make a case. Let's just wait another day or two and see how it plays out.

Edited by JohnC

who hasn't been in a bar fight in their 20's.

I've never been in a bar fight. last fight I was in I was 13

I grew up and avoided the avoidable

Now if I was protecting million$$$ and a public image I can guarantee I could avoid this type of trouble even more so by using simple common sense.

I will be vocally calling for the Bills to release McCoy. I have no stomach for this crap, just like Lynch.. Football victories means little to me if it comes on the backs of morons.

Edited by ddaryl

I've never been in a bar fight. last fight I was in I was 13

I grew up and avoided the avoidable

Now if I was protecting million$$$ and a public image I can guarantee I could avoid this type of trouble even more so by using simple common sense.

I will be vocally calling for the Bills to release McCoy. I have no stomach for this crap

Planning on picketing in front of OBD?