McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

Seriously.

How much money are we paying this guy? He was on and off the field with injury, inconsistent when on the field, and now getting into trouble off the field.

That money we shelled out to him(a RB nonetheless) could be used better else where.

He wasn't inconsistent when on the field. He was very good. Agree with the other stuff, though. He's an annoyingly immature person.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Philly this week for work and hearing a lot of chatter about this case.

One thing that keeps coming up: Apparently it's a known practice among less than savory cops and friends of those less than savory cops (i.e. bouncers) in the club scene here to order bottles of champagne and put it on the tab of VIPs there partying, in the hopes that they don't notice. If they do notice and make a stink, vaya con dios, nobody in charge will take your side.

Hearing that combined with the fact that the security cameras were "not working" makes me think there's a lot more to this case than we can possibly know.

And in general, cell phone videos are notorious for starting up well after a situation has escalated, providing zero context.

There was probably more than enough bad decision-making to go around that night, but I know I'm reserving judgement and not kicking anyone off the team quite yet.

Edited by jimmy10

Seriously.

How much money are we paying this guy? He was on and off the field with injury, inconsistent when on the field, and now getting into trouble off the field.

That money we shelled out to him(a RB nonetheless) could be used better else where.

Oh, I'm certain that several of his lawyers will be getting that redistributed to their bank accounts.

One thing that keeps coming up: Apparently it's a known practice among less than savory cops and friends of those less than savory cops (i.e. bouncers) in the club scene here to order bottles of champagne and put it on the tab of VIPs there partying, in the hopes that they don't notice. If they do notice and make a stink, vaya con dios, nobody in charge will take your side.

Hearing that combined with the fact that the security cameras were "not working" makes me think there's a lot more to this case than we can possibly know.

And in general, cell phone videos are notorious for starting up well after a situation has escalated, providing zero context.

There was probably more than enough bad decision-making to go around that night, but I know I'm reserving judgement and not kicking anyone off the team quite yet.

That's a really interesting bit of information. And if it is in fact what started everything, all that the cops/club have to say is the mis-charge was an honest mistake

If true kick him again Shady. Sounds crazy, wish Denzel from Training Day was involved.

Probably one of the least surprising things I've heard...

That's a really interesting bit of information. And if it is in fact what started everything, all that the cops/club have to say is the mis-charge was an honest mistake

I'm not going to take sides on this because none of us really know anything, but it is likely too late for the club to say it was a mis-charge. There would have almost certainly been an argument about the charge before any violence took place. I could see a scenario where the other group....I won't call them cops because they weren't on duty and I wouldn't call them by their occupation if they were plumbers or anything else....said screw you, we're drinking that champagne, Shady's friend said no way, because we paid for it....than it got out of hand. But all of that would have happened after the argument over the bill. And that only would have happened if Shady and friends were settling their tab and leaving...so I'm not sure how likely this is, but I'd say it is certainly plausible as are a lot of things.

So if McCoy and his boys knew this, then they must be the dumbest people alive because that means they would have known these guys were cops. Also clubs, bars and restaurants comp stuff to cops all the time without charging anyone. And if a server is going to shuffle charges then they're likely to be pocketing the money, not giving it back away. Somebody pays cash for a $200 bottle, bottle gets put on some big spender's $2k tab, $200 goes in server's pocket. Edited by BarleyNY

I was wondering how a group of cops, with cop salary, could afford to be in the "V.I.P" room ordering expensive bottles of champaign.

I understand.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm a brawler or anything. Most confrontations end with stare downs anyway.

But I was raised by a father who fought bare knuckle to survive in the Soviet Union. I don't look down on it the way many in the USA do. I believe that sometimes guys just need to fight and if they do, just let it happen. Fights should end with a great story to tell, not police charges. Many times you befriend the guys you just fought. I know I have in the past.

And these guys that we're sitting here judging from our computers were raised in some pretty tough places. And even if they didn't grow up in tough places, they were still raised poor or had relatives they looked up to that were pretty bad role models. Sure, they have millions, but are you really surprised they are still attracted to where they came from?

I don't know. I just think this is all much ado about nothing. I find the fact that the guys they beat up happened to be cops is funny. But now the media and lawyers get involved and it's a big mess.

These tough guys were fighting over a bottle of champagne.

Forget for the moment how questionably tough any group of fellas sitting around drinking champagne can be--there is nothing in that initial report that says that Shady was jumping in to save his boys. It says there was some words and then some shoving, and then these 4 went hot ghetto mess backyard brawl on these 2 cops.

This "honor" stuff floating around here is ridiculous. How long do you think champagne sipping Shady would have lasted in a real fight in your father's home town? All the body parts could never be reassembled for burial.

Definitely holding on judgement against Shady until we know more. Seems like this was a fight, not an assault on unsuspecting victims. Sounds like the other dudes lost the fight.

Shouldn't they be charged too if there are charges being levied for fisticuffs?

These tough guys were fighting over a bottle of champagne.

Forget for the moment how questionably tough any group of fellas sitting around drinking champagne can be--there is nothing in that initial report that says that Shady was jumping in to save his boys. It says there was some words and then some shoving, and then these 4 went hot ghetto mess backyard brawl on these 2 cops.

This "honor" stuff floating around here is ridiculous. How long do you think champagne sipping Shady would have lasted in a real fight in your father's home town? All the body parts could never be reassembled for burial.

Um no offense but I'm pretty sure Shady, and most NFL players, would dismantle 98% of dudes in a "real fight" in "your father's home town", whatever that means. I think I'd put my money on the world class professional athlete over dad any day lol.

So if McCoy and his boys knew this, then they must be the dumbest people alive because that means they would have known these guys were cops. Also clubs, bars and restaurants comp stuff to cops all the time without charging anyone. And if a server is going to shuffle charges then they're likely to be pocketing the money, not giving it back away. Somebody pays cash for a $200 bottle, bottle gets put on some big spender's $2k tab, $200 goes in server's pocket.

Like I said, I'm not making any definitive assumptions about what did or didn't happen, or who the dumbest people alive are. From what we do know, there's so much we don't know. Did the off duty cops ever identify themselves as such? Why didn't they call 911 immediately? Why did they drive themselves to the hospital with such serious injuries and not file any sort of report until the next morning? Why weren't the security cameras functioning?

As good ol' Donny Rumsfeld would say, we've got both known unknowns and unknown unknowns.

All of this is very interesting information, and it may lead to problems for the victims of what appears to have been an assault. But assuming the info is correct, that theft or attempted theft occurred does not justify the violence that appears to have ensued. Maybe a better way of saying it is just because my mechanic overcharges me doesn't mean I can try to cave his face in.

Definitely holding on judgement against Shady until we know more. Seems like this was a fight, not an assault on unsuspecting victims. Sounds like the other dudes lost the fight.

i would think that the players would need to file a police report against them but not sure how it works

Not sure how the legal system works with regards to that but, to me, it all comes down to who started the violence. They should be charged. The other guys were just defending themselves. Granted, "defending" has it's limits. A group of guys kicking a guy on the floor goes well beyond "defending."

And why are 'off duty' cops always in strip clubs?

For what it's worth, and that's probably not much, the club is called "Recess", and it's not a strip club.

Edit: Here's a link. It is a "private club" which is just a way to skirt liquor laws and stay open and serving after hours: http://www.yelp.com/biz/recess-lounge-philadelphia?utm_source=ishare

Edited by jimmy10

The attorneys review the warrants. That is normal. If the police have a flimsy case then the prosecuting attorney's won't sign off on the warrant. It's not unusual for the police to be told they need more evidence or issues need to be clarified. This case has been moving very quickly. Maybe not to your liking but there has been a quick response. If there is a delay that isn't a bad thing. It is a good thing in that the investigation is being carefully done.

As I said in the prior posts the fact that the police quickly drew up warrants (not yet reviewed by the prosecutor) indicated to me that they had or felt they had enough evidence to make a case. Let's just wait another day or two and see how it plays out.

You do realize that you're being completely non-responsive to the points made in my previous post, yes? The point is, you claimed arrest warrants were issued, and that the quick issuance of arrest warrants indicates that the evidence is clear-cut. In fact, arrest warrants have not been issued, it has merely been reported by news that "according to police sources" they are "imminent", whatever that means.

It has also been reported that the evidence is in the hands of the DA being reviewed, and the DA will decide whether/which charges to file. I do feel ordinary citizens such as myself should understand how the legal process works. The police do not need a warrant to make an arrest - all they need is probable cause - but if an arrest warrant is utilized, a crime must be specified and the warrant has to be issued by a judge in court. If the DA is reviewing the case to decide whether and/or which charges to file (which is what has also been reported in the news), the police can't actually have "drawn up a warrant" because they don't yet know what crime to put on it, or if they did fill out a form requesting issuance of a warrant as part of what was submitted to the DA, it's two steps removed from being an actual warrant.

But again - the point is - you can't use the argument that the rapid issuance of arrest warrants indicates that the case is clear cut if in fact, arrest warrants have not yet been issued.

Not sure how the legal system works with regards to that but, to me, it all comes down to who started the violence. They should be charged. The other guys were just defending themselves. Granted, "defending" has it's limits. A group of guys kicking a guy on the floor goes well beyond "defending."

Brinkley allegedly started the fight. But, we don't know what happened before and after the 30 second video clip. We don't know if the other group threw punches too, etc. We just know they were injured enough to go to the hospital. And that McCoy didn't have visible injuries to his face based on the picture taken later at the hotel.