Patriots want Mario Williams

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Mario wants to stay he'll redo his deal, if not he's good as gone. The question is where he ends up.

There may be a question as to where he ends up but not how he'll do.

He'll do well next year provided he is not asked to cover Odell Beckham. About 28 of the 32 teams are smart enough to let him rush the passer. Sadly we are not one of them.

Cuz. Rex. Sux.

He'll do well next year provided he is not asked to cover Odell Beckham. About 28 of the 32 teams are smart enough to let him rush the passer. Sadly we are not one of them.

Cuz. Rex. Sux.

He got a pivotal sack in our win against the Jets to finish out the season, it will either be ironic or a sign that maybe Rex finally succumbed to the errors he made in 2015. Personally I don't like the idea of letting Mario walk and reconfiguring this D in Rex's mold as think take two offseasons to get there which I don't think we have.

Edited by The Jokeman

He has 3 or 4 good seasons left in him. He will be nice pick for some team, the pats were talk the other day about having to play C, Jones, and D. Hightower max deals with there rookie options up coming, and J. Collins is a potential hold up because he is only playing on a 7th round deal currently. They may not be willing to go after him.

Cuz. Rex. Sux.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how the Panthers used Kony Ealy in the Super Bowl. He had 3 sacks, but they still dropped him into coverage. He accepted his role and also got an INT to go with his 3 sacks.

Mario is still rubbing his eyes trying to figure out how all the Dlineman dropping in coverage last night on the two best teams in the league actually made plays. I doubt Belichik is interested unless he comes pretty cheap and he can play him situationally, since he has film of him from last year.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Yes. Do you think it was because of Ealy's 3 Sack, 1 INT performance? How about 2 weeks ago when Von Miller had 2.5 Sacks and they dropped him into coverage and he picked off Tom Brady? They won that game.

I'm convinced. Rex improved the Bills defense this year. Your powers of logic and reason have won out.

Broncos scored 18 points on "drives" that accumulated a total of 3 yards.

I'm not sure Carolinas defensive scheme is what we should be questioning.

You're right about that.

I'd say a big part was that the Denver D got after the passer and tried to....you know....tackle him.

Mario is still rubbing his eyes trying to figure out how all the Dlineman dropping in coverage last night on the two best teams in the league actually made plays. I doubt Belichik is interested unless he comes pretty cheap and he can play him situationally, since he has film of him from last year.

precisely

Manning was stripped at least twice and sacked five times...

I was comparing Denver's defensive philosophy to that of Rex, not to that of Carolina.

Heard Mario went home hungry from Rex's Super Bowl party. He had to set the edge and contain the wings at the end of the buffet table but was not allowed to eat any.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

The question other teams have to ask is how much are they willing to pay a guy who may go on strike/give no effort if he decides he is unhappy?

As someone who used to defend Mario, Mario owes the Bills another season given that he got paid even though he took last year off. I guess Mario thought that he was on the Doug Marrone plan.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how the Panthers used Kony Ealy in the Super Bowl. He had 3 sacks, but they still dropped him into coverage. He accepted his role and also got an INT to go with his 3 sacks.

The whole "dropping into coverage" argument misses the point...

The real defensive schematic contrast people should be mad about is (1) where the guys are lining up and (2) what they are being told do do after the snap... Read and react, eat space, contain, vs attacking and penetrating...

This laid on top of who is good at what is where the real problem lies. Accepting how things are, the ONLY path forward is some level of retooling among the front 7. If they try to run the same d with the same guys, there is no reason to expect a dramatically different result...

That said Mario needs to be let go, they need at least a NT and legit coverage/pursuit ILB at a minimum

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

The real defensive schematic contrast people should be mad about is (1) where the guys are lining up and (2) what they are being told do do after the snap... Read and react, eat space, contain, vs attacking and penetrating...

This laid on top of who is good at what is where the real problem lies. Accepting how things are, the ONLY path forward is some level of retooling among the front 7. If they try to run the same d with the same guys, there is no reason to expect a dramatically different result...

they went away from that D later in the year and Rex has said he plans to make changes. Look, I don't like Rex, but he acknowledged the problem and intends to make changes. Not much else he can do publicly in February.

They won't try to run the same D with the same guys. They'll try to run the same D without the scapegoated talented guy. Af the rate of 1 scapegoat per year we'd have 11 years of this crap. I have a feeling 2016 will be a year of multiple scapegoats. I expect it to be soft scapegoating of Kyle based on age and blaming Brown if he is still around. Gilmore and Corey Graham are likely to be blamed too.

they went away from that D later in the year and Rex has said he plans to make changes. Look, I don't like Rex, but he acknowledged the problem and intends to make changes. Not much else he can do publicly in February.

I'm done piling on Rex until next season, I accept, he's around for a while and it WILL be his scheme. So given those things, I feel it's critical for the organization to make the requisite personnel moves to give the scheme the best chance to work.

I'd hate to watch MD at 1 or 0 and 2 gapping at his price tag. Mario is a wide 9 DE period and way overpaid to do anything else so let him go.

They won't try to run the same D with the same guys. They'll try to run the same D without the scapegoated talented guy. Af the rate of 1 scapegoat per year we'd have 11 years of this crap. I have a feeling 2016 will be a year of multiple scapegoats. I expect it to be soft scapegoating of Kyle based on age and blaming Brown if he is still around. Gilmore and Corey Graham are likely to be blamed too.

This is exactly why it's unacceptable not to get the right pieces. If they don't make the effort to do this it'll be very disappointing

That said Mario needs to be let go, they need at least a NT and legit coverage/pursuit ILB at a minimum

Great post. Lots of truth. :thumbsup: