Patriots want Mario Williams

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how the Panthers used Kony Ealy in the Super Bowl. He had 3 sacks, but they still dropped him into coverage. He accepted his role and also got an INT to go with his 3 sacks.

Kony Ealy would have been a front runner for MVP had the score gone the other way. That was one of the best Super Bowl performances I've seen (Been watching since XXI). The only thing that overshadowed Ealy's individual defensive performance was Miller's on the opposite side. Demarcus Ware could have been co-MVP with Miller if the voting was different. Really impressive defensive game - not so exciting from a fan/offense perspective!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kony Ealy would have been a front runner for MVP had the score gone the other way. That was one of the best Super Bowl performances I've seen (Been watching since XXI). The only thing that overshadowed Ealy's individual defensive performance was Miller's on the opposite side. Demarcus Ware could have been co-MVP with Miller if the voting was different. Really impressive defensive game - not so exciting from a fan/offense perspective!

^All of this. Nothing better than an old time football defensive slugfest. The only thing missing was the mud.

GO BILLS!!!

If Mario & the Bills part ways, I hope he doesn't end up in the AFC East.

Agreed.

But, IMO it isn't IF they part ways.

You're right about that.

I'd say a big part was that the Denver D got after the passer and tried to....you know....tackle him.

Maybe Denver could of played better on defense if they didn't try to get to the QB and instead trick them by dropping into coverage. Maybe that way they could have got a shutout? Sort of like trying to improve a #4 defense to #1?

It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

The question other teams have to ask is how much are they willing to pay a guy who may go on strike/give no effort if he decides he is unhappy?

As someone who used to defend Mario, Mario owes the Bills another season given that he got paid even though he took last year off. I guess Mario thought that he was on the Doug Marrone plan.

True on who signs Mario next.

On the Doug Marrone plan, funny.

I was comparing Denver's defensive philosophy to that of Rex, not to that of Carolina.

Heard Mario went home hungry from Rex's Super Bowl party. He had to set the edge and contain the wings at the end of the buffet table but was not allowed to eat any.

Von Miller made a fantastic play in coverage in the 3rd quarter, getting his hand in and defensing a pass to Cotchery that would have given Carolina first and goal at the five. It was a wheel route and a deep-intermediate throw. Hughes did that a couple of times this year and made plays.

Edited by dave mcbride

When he's motivated, he's a great player and I think he's got 3 or so solid years left. He didn't buy into the scheme this year so instead of swallowing his pride, he flat out gave up. It's a shame, and I think there's fault to go around here between coach and player.

Mario will go to another team and return to form assuming he's allowed to do what he does best. Let's just hope he doesn't go to the Pats. You know they won't overpay and will use their "come here, take less money but you'll compete for a championship" pitch.

It's not about dropping the D-linemen into pass coverage because Schwartz also did it successfully during games just like Denver did. It's more about where... and when... and above all who!

Just as an example the 2015 mental midget at HC in Buffalo had DT Marcell Dareus dropping into pass coverage on two of KC's TD throws.

Any way you slice it Ryan did a piss poor job this year and it was surprising to see so much defensive talent on a team that has spent so much money, time investing in certain players on the defense only to see them misused in a bad scheme.

The SB MVP was a pass rushing linebacker! And contrary to Rex Ryan, sacks do matter and will always matter!

After the world watched how a defense properly schemed, game planned and called completely destroyed the league's MVP along with shutting down one of the highest-scoring *offenses in the league. Defensive players like Mario will be very much sought after by every team. Arizona for one has already stated they need to bolster their pass rush. I'll bet Carolina would love to have Mario replace an older Jared Allen at DE. Teams will be lining up to give Mario all the money he wants to entice him to come to their cities.

To the Bills fans that think it was all Mario's fault that the team didn't get more sacks or be a better defense in 2015 or that "HE" took the year off...really have no idea what goes on behind the scenes on a team.

Anyway, only in Buffalo would you see an above average defensive coordinator be hired and build a top 5 defense that was #1 in sacks one year... only be taken apart by hiring a 4-12 head coach the very next year. :bag: then have so many fans defend the bum.

Edited by Nihilarian

He has 3 or 4 good seasons left in him. He will be nice pick for some team, the pats were talk the other day about having to play C, Jones, and D. Hightower max deals with there rookie options up coming, and J. Collins is a potential hold up because he is only playing on a 7th round deal currently. They may not be willing to go after him.

Jamie Collins was a first rd pk

Mario is a overrated bum over his past 24 gms he has 7sks. Gets dominated on a regular basis he also has never done anything vs the Pats. I won't miss him for one second plus he's not a leader of men. Players on the team said he was more concerned about his farm equipment and remote control cars. Mario can KMA.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how the Panthers used Kony Ealy in the Super Bowl. He had 3 sacks, but they still dropped him into coverage. He accepted his role and also got an INT to go with his 3 sacks.

Kaboom, fatality! Finish him !

I'm convinced. Rex improved the Bills defense this year. Your powers of logic and reason have won out.

You're right about that.

I'd say a big part was that the Denver D got after the passer and tried to....you know....tackle him.

Here comes the meltdown. Butt is on fire.

Sounds like you're getting torched. Cuz Rex sux.

Take the L. Mario fanboy.

I'm not a fanboy of Mario.

I'm not a fan at all of highly talented and salaried players getting scapegoated for the failings of an obsolete system, badly in need of overhaul that turned the league's #4 defense into garbage while practically going from first to last in sacks. The solution is not to ditch good players and create salary cap issues. The solution is to ditch, or highly modify, the failed system. Truth be told I don't really care if I'm watching a defense with Mario get shredded or a defense without him get shredded. If Rex doesn't change a lot of things the defense, with or without Mario, will get shredded. If Rex is allowed to stay a third year for continuity, then a new scapegoat will be needed. My money is on Gilmore making one bad play in a game where we lose 30-27 when we should have held the other team to 10. Just a guess though. Rex's defense has failed multiple years running. He will need to change it or it will fail again with or without Mario.

They lost right?

Denver won and Miller dropped into coverage. He even had an interception in the AFC Championship. All teams run some form of the zone blitz, and have been doing so for years, often with great success. It is part of many great defenses, including Denver's. The Bills have it in their aresenal but facts would argue that it is not used as often as people seem to perceive. The whining Mario Williams was asked to drop into coverage 28 times last year, or less than twice per game.

It is not the fault of the scheme that Mario failed to apply any pass pressure in the multitude of opportunities he had to do so. He simply gave up. Good riddance. He will likely have another good year or two, or maybe more, but at this point he does not want to be in Buffalo and I suspect that many of his team mates will be happy to see the primadona go, despite his talent.

Edited by MDFan

Denver won and Miller dropped into coverage. He even had an interception in the AFC Championship. All teams run some form of the zone blitz, and have been doing so for years, often with great success. It is part of many great defenses, including Denver's. The Bills have it in their aresenal but facts would argue that it is not used as often as people seem to perceive. The whining Mario Williams was asked to drop into coverage 28 times last year, or less than twice per game.

It is not the fault of the scheme that Mario failed to apply any pass pressure in the multitude of opportunities he had to do so. He simply gave up. Good riddance. He will likely have another good year or two, or maybe more, but at this point he does not want to be in Buffalo and I suspect that many of his team mates will be happy to see the primadona go, despite his talent.

Good post.