Patriots want Mario Williams

Mario will be in demand if he is a FA. He would be a nice fit for New England if they can afford him.

Of course they can afford him!

Players like that have already stuffed their pockets from a desperate team and can now afford to take half the money to go to a winning team that has a chance to win the Superbowl.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

freeney plays about 6 snaps a game. I don't think Mario is quite to that stage. He's at the Ware stage. He's just as good, when he's putting forth the same effort as Ware. IMO

Mario is in Julius Peppers in his last few years in Chicago territory. I hope we don't cut him as Peppers proved in Green Bay he can still get double digit sacks.

DeMarcus Ware this postseason has re-set the market for aging superstar pass rushers.

Mario is not a bum, but he is also not a superstar.

Mario is still rubbing his eyes trying to figure out how all the Dlineman dropping in coverage last night on the two best teams in the league actually made plays. I doubt Belichik is interested unless he comes pretty cheap and he can play him situationally, since he has film of him from last year.

The problem I have with Mario isn't with the few times that he was asked to drop into coverage. When he was asked to rush the passer, he wasn't able to, even with one on one with the RT. IMHO he has probably hit the wall. Sure, he will get a few sacks here & there over the next 4-5 years, but he is no longer a superstar & IMO will be a disappointment to the team that signs him.

Mario is not a bum, but he is also not a superstar.

The problem I have with Mario isn't with the few times that he was asked to drop into coverage. When he was asked to rush the passer, he wasn't able to, even with one on one with the RT. IMHO he has probably hit the wall. Sure, he will get a few sacks here & there over the next 4-5 years, but he is no longer a superstar & IMO will be a disappointment to the team that signs him.

It was more than a few.

Also, Mario stopped trying. It was evident. Compare last season to this season, and you can even see a change in body language. Player's don't have huge drop offs in their performance like Mario did, unless they are coming back from a big injury, and he is not. Mario's play is a reflection of him not caring for Rex, or his scheme. He will go elsewhere and do what he is designed to do...and that's RUSH the passer. No intelligent coach would ever ask players like Dareus and Mario to drop into coverage. It's not their skill set.

I don't agree with Mario's approach to Rex's pathetic scheme, but you can not say this man has "hit the wall".

What is worse: hitting a wall or refusing to try?

If there was a guaranty that Mario would not take the year off (and sign a more cap friendly deal), I would definitely consider wanting him back.

If he is going to collect millions of dollars and refuse to try for most of the year, we may as well cut him so that we can re-sign guys that will actually try (e.g, Cordy and Richie) and risk that he signs with the Pats or someone else. Given Mario's limited production last year, it should not be difficult finding a player or combination of players who can have at least as much as Mario's 2015 production.

What is worse: hitting a wall or refusing to try?

If there was a guaranty that Mario would not take the year off (and sign a more cap friendly deal), I would definitely consider wanting him back.

If he is going to collect millions of dollars and refuse to try for most of the year, we may as well cut him so that we can re-sign guys that will actually try (e.g, Cordy and Richie) and risk that he signs with the Pats or someone else. Given Mario's limited production last year, it should not be difficult finding a player or combination of players who can have at least as much as Mario's 2015 production.

In my honest opinion, refusing to try. Hitting the wall is not a direct reflection of one's morale or disposition.

Listen, I'm not defending Mario. His refusal is only impacting the team negatively. I'm definitely not rallying to keep him, but you simply can not say this guy is physically done. Mentally is he checked out, so bye.

It'll just be another case of an ex-Bill going to more a functional coaching staff, and displaying their talents there...or making the playoffs.

Edited by 87168

Mario is not a bum, ....

No, he is lower than that. He is a quitter who didn't care at all about his obligation to his teammates, coaches, and fans. It's worse because he has elite talent and athleticism. I get that he didn't prefer to do the things asked of him, but he has the physical ability to do them and do them well. Too bad he pouted rather than try.

Time for him to go.

GO BILLS!!!

A team trading for him isn't on the hook for any bonus though, so if they cut him they don't take any cap hit.

I'm thinking a team trades essentially for his rights, then either restructures or lives with paying him for 1 season before cutting him loose if need be, or trading him again.

The Rams would be perfect. Sick DL already. Los Angeles. Not in the AFC.