Dunne interviews 6 NFL guys about Tyrod Taylor

The part I found most interesting was where Billick (I think) suggested they game plan next year to make Tyrod throw 30-50 times a game, because it will help develop him as a passer. Essentially develop Tyrod at the possible expense of winning games. It's an interesting idea but player development is a dead science in today's NFL and too many folks at OBD have their jobs on the line to pull such a stunt. But I'm quite intrigued by it...

Many coaches 20-30 years ago. Like I said, the game has changed.

Yes but, 20 years ago coaches had 5 year plans to turn things around. Now you get 1-2 years, 3 years if you show some progress. So coaches 20 years ago would take time to develop key players knowing they would get that 5 year plan. Free Agency has change all that and the expectations.

Yes but, 20 years ago coaches had 5 year plans to turn things around. Now you get 1-2 years, 3 years if you show some progress. So coaches 20 years ago would take time to develop key players knowing they would get that 5 year plan. Free Agency has change all that and the expectations.

That's what I'm saying.

What a great hire Tyler Dunne was for the News. Finally a Bills reporter who gets it. We are not interested in the quarterback evaluations of Jerry Sullivan, Buscaglia etc. They are not qualified to make such evaluations, as there is not an NFL team that would even consider hiring them to evaluate or scout - they lack the qualifications. So when you read them, it's no different than an opinion offered by any drunk on any bar stool in WNY. Sullivan wrote earlier this year that Taylor does not pass his "eye test" as an NFL QB. His eye test! As if he knows anything about QB evaluations

Dunne does it the right way - interviews sources and solicits the opinions of guys who have the credentials to evaluate. Is it just me, or doesn't everybody prefer an evaluation coming from a former NFL offensive coordinator, vs the opinion of Sullivan, Buscaglia and company. I know it takes more work than just tossing out your uninformed opinion, but that's what a good reporter does.

Good article overall.

Two nits:

"This past week, The Buffalo News caught up with six of the sharpest minds in the game, six who know the position best." For the most part I agree...but....Eric Wood? Good center, good teammate, good guy but when did he become one of the sharpest minds in the game? I know canonically the football center is often one of the smartest guys on the team, but what makes Wood one of the sharpest minds in the game? Something like "sharpest minds in the game. We also spoke with the Bills teammate who works most closely with Taylor during the games, center Eric Wood"

"Look at the NFL teams still playing. All eight quarterbacks remaining were either No. 1 overall picks or already own Super Bowl rings. You need playmakers, not caretakers."

Not sure what the point about #1 overall picks is, really? In the last 15 years, there have been 10 QB drafted #1 overall. Let's say the jury is still out on 2015. From 2000 to 2013, there have been 10. Of those 10, 4 are still starting, but their team is nowhere near playoffs (Bradford, Luck, Eli Manning, Stafford). 1 is still playing, but relegated to a bit part/backup role (Michael Vick). 2 are out of football completely (David Carr, Jamarcus Russell).

And yeah, 3 are in the playoffs (Cam Newton, Alex Smith and Carson Palmer), but what a long, strange trip its been for two of them. For Alex Smith, an appearance on "5 greatest QB busts of all time" lists, success with his drafting team after 6 years (SIX YEARS!) only to be benched and traded to a 2nd team where he found success. For Carson Palmer, modest success with his drafting team followed by years of drought, injury, and now, with his 3rd team, after 3 years, success. Then of course there's Peyton Manning, drafted #1 in 1998.

What's the point? That if you stay with a #1 draft pick and he keeps working, he'll get you to the playoffs once in 8 years before you trade him? That if you draft a QB #1 you have <10% chance of being in the playoffs this year, but if you trade him away your trade partner will get there?

"Already own superbowl rings" is just fancy way of saying "have had previous playoff success. Why not just say "all of the QB in the playoffs are dynamic playmakers, not caretakers" (though I think that's TBD about Smith).

Dunne is trying too hard to come up with a factual phrase that illustrates the importance of the QB position, but instead he's illustrating how empty some facts can be when you look under the hood at them.

OK, otherwise, good article.

Tyler Dunne is a very welcome addition to the Buffalo media - actually going out and getting opinions from people considered to be somewhat experts in the field - compare to most other media here who don't bother gathering info from experts...they watch some training camp and simply think they themselves become scouting experts and report on it,.

Paul Hamilton, Joe Buscgalia and others please take note....

The part I found most interesting was where Billick (I think) suggested they game plan next year to make Tyrod throw 30-50 times a game, because it will help develop him as a passer. Essentially develop Tyrod at the possible expense of winning games. It's an interesting idea but player development is a dead science in today's NFL and too many folks at OBD have their jobs on the line to pull such a stunt. But I'm quite intrigued by it...

These Coaching concepts are interesting to me also. ^

Roman had decided to take the opposite approach with T2. Which had many calling him out. Even Watkins!

I thought it was the right approach. By the second half of the season we saw the confidence level on the rise. Glad Bills were patient and it started to pay off.

as mentioned there is little time for a middling team to develop a starting QB.

Tyler Dunne is a nice Yin to so much Yang from BN

You have to have a pocket to excel from. That was frequently missing. The fact that Taylor did as well as he did as a first time starter, behind a suspect offensive line, says a lot about him. Fix the line and with more experience, Taylor will be just fine. The bigger issue is to find a solid back-up for him.

What a great hire Tyler Dunne was for the News. Finally a Bills reporter who gets it. We are not interested in the quarterback evaluations of Jerry Sullivan, Buscaglia etc. They are not qualified to make such evaluations, as there is not an NFL team that would even consider hiring them to evaluate or scout - they lack the qualifications. So when you read them, it's no different than an opinion offered by any drunk on any bar stool in WNY. Sullivan wrote earlier this year that Taylor does not pass his "eye test" as an NFL QB. His eye test! As if he knows anything about QB evaluations

Dunne does it the right way - interviews sources and solicits the opinions of guys who have the credentials to evaluate. Is it just me, or doesn't everybody prefer an evaluation coming from a former NFL offensive coordinator, vs the opinion of Sullivan, Buscaglia and company. I know it takes more work than just tossing out your uninformed opinion, but that's what a good reporter does.

It's odd that I look forward to the next paragraph when reading a BN article.

You have to have a pocket to excel from. That was frequently missing. The fact that Taylor did as well as he did as a first time starter, behind a suspect offensive line, says a lot about him. Fix the line and with more experience, Taylor will be just fine. The bigger issue is to find a solid back-up for him.

We averaged more points and passing yards in our backup's starts (with Watkins playing a half total). I'm just saying. :)

In regards to Taylor, who knows? He had a very solid season and certainly proved he is a starting caliber qb. Personally, I've never been a fan of smaller, run first Qbs. I think more than ever, you have to win from the pocket. Guys like Mike Vick can take the league by storm but the league gets tape and takes away their strengths. Taylor's physical skills aren't as good as Vick's but he certainly has a much better head on his shoulders.

Taylor will go into an offseason for the first time as a starter and I have zero questions of his work ethic. But teams are going to make him beat them with his arm and once he does this, then we know we have our guy. But I didn't see that enough this year (though he certainly wasn't the reason we didn't make the playoffs).

Tyler Dunne is a very welcome addition to the Buffalo media - actually going out and getting opinions from people considered to be somewhat experts in the field - compare to most other media here who don't bother gathering info from experts...they watch some training camp and simply think they themselves become scouting experts and report on it,.

Paul Hamilton, Joe Buscgalia and others please take note....

Agreed - he does a good job. He's Quickly become the first click on the news feed

We averaged more points and passing yards in our backup's starts (with Watkins playing a half total). I'm just saying. :)

In regards to Taylor, who knows? He had a very solid season and certainly proved he is a starting caliber qb. Personally, I've never been a fan of smaller, run first Qbs. I think more than ever, you have to win from the pocket. Guys like Mike Vick can take the league by storm but the league gets tape and takes away their strengths. Taylor's physical skills aren't as good as Vick's but he certainly has a much better head on his shoulders.

Taylor will go into an offseason for the first time as a starter and I have zero questions of his work ethic. But teams are going to make him beat them with his arm and once he does this, then we know we have our guy. But I didn't see that enough this year (though he certainly wasn't the reason we didn't make the playoffs).

TT is not a "run first" QB. And he has already shown he can "beat them with his arm." What I need to see is more middle of the field throws and improvement in crossing plays. And I believe he will add that to his arsenal this off season. I feel very confident we've got our guy enough so that if the Bills don't lock him up soon, I think there is going to be a lot of competition for him when his contract runs out.

I felt that they were developing Taylor this year. Not throwing over the middle was by design. More likely to throw interceptions over the middle. The throws he was making to the outside were harder. I think they add more over middle his year. Why have him throw 50 times with that running game? That's just dumb.

TT is not a "run first" QB. And he has already shown he can "beat them with his arm." What I need to see is more middle of the field throws and improvement in crossing plays. And I believe he will add that to his arsenal this off season. I feel very confident we've got our guy enough so that if the Bills don't lock him up soon, I think there is going to be a lot of competition for him when his contract runs out.

He certainly looks to pass first but he doesn't go through progressions like pocket passers. I do t know if he is coached to do this or its him.

And who has he beaten with arm? Bad Qbs or teams with losing records. Taylor was very solid. But it would dumb to rush out and lock up solid after 1 season. I think we will have a good idea if he deserves starting qb money after 8 games.

Imagine if Philly locked up Foles after an even better year than Taylor had?

I agree with this, I could care less what Sulky <<~ saw this here, think it was Yolo, thinks. If it was a typo it was perfect. I only read Dunne and Skurski anymore from BN

TT only played 3/4 of a season. He is already better than most 1st year starters and he will continue to develop his game in the years to come. No need to throw it 30 or more times a game when u can throw for 3 TDs over 20+ yards and win going away most games. I personally like the pound em with the run and beat em with the pass approach.

Edited by NorCalBillsSabres

I thought having an opinion from a player, even if he's not acknowledged to be a great mind of the game (what active player outside of a few sure fire HoFamers would be) was a great move. Without the views of a person who knows Taylor personally and close up, in the lockerroom and in the huddle, the article would not have been nearly as good, indeed, incomplete. Wood was the right player to ask, and I say that realizing that he was'nt going to take his QB down.

The thing I hate about the conversation of OMG CAN HE THROW IT XX TIMES A GAME, is that QBs who throw it that many times a game are making a lot of short passes to get chunks of ~5 yards at a time. With how successful our running game is, we don't need to be making those throws all game, so I don't understand the obsession in our current offense.

The thing I hate about the conversation of OMG CAN HE THROW IT XX TIMES A GAME, is that QBs who throw it that many times a game are making a lot of short passes to get chunks of ~5 yards at a time. With how successful our running game is, we don't need to be making those throws all game, so I don't understand the obsession in our current offense.

Not being able to make the timing throws they are talking about puts too much pressure on your run first offence and makes it a lot easier to defend. Also there are times, often later in games, where you don't have the luxury of relying on even a very good running game. A franchise QB has to be able to beat you with his arm when he needs to. I think thats all they are saying. If Tatlor can (learn) to do that he will be one of the hardest QBs to defend against and the Bills O should be very productive.

Right, if u can run it u run it. The physical tole u exact every time the opponent has to take on blockers , muck around in the scrum and tackle a RB sets the offense up for later in the game.

I think there's a big difference between having done it situationally before and doing it consistently. He's shown the flashes but most guys in the league can flash that. Hopefully he will continue to grow and put it together more regularly.

Another quote that surprised me was Gannon talking about how he is so cerebral that he can be trusted to run the offense- but we never saw Roman give that full trust yet. Not saying he won't grow into it but Gannon portrayed it as something he regularly displayed with the casual way he mentioned it as if a given

Billick says you can't win with just a great D. Game must have changed because he did exactly that.

That's what I was going to say! Here's his quote:

Billick: “I like what I see in Tyrod Taylor. I just have to see more. Give me a handful of 40-plus throw games where you have to fold the game plan up, put it in your back pocket and go win it for us. Otherwise, you’re going to be on that path like Rex had in New York with Mark Sanchez, the tight pitch count, ‘We’re going to play great defense and not turn the ball over,’ and we’ll win a championship that way. Well, you’re not. You have to have a quarterback.”

Is this guy for real? He must have complete amnesia of one of the only times he's had success in the NFL.

Edited by Saint Doug

Good article concept and well executed by Dunne. Lots of really good work there.

Lol at a couple of the "experts" questioning TT's work ethic ( more out of admitted ignorance than any observed issues) and his strength and conditioning.

TT is a gym rat like you read about and is as strong as a horse.

I think TT says bring the R Wilson comparisons on. Wilson is better at some things certainly - quicker reads, etc. Even right now TT is more elusive (saying a lot) and is notably faster on top end speed. The reads will come quicker with more starts with the same OC and receivers.

OT; jarrett Boykin was an excellent under the RADAR pickup for the Bills.

That's what I was going to say! Here's his quote:

Is this guy for real? He must have complete amnesia of one of the only times he's had success in the NFL.

That was a decade ago. The DB rule not allowing any contact past 5 yds didn't come into full bloom till later. Now, you need a QB - period. Billick won with an average QB. It can be done - occasionally. Much better to sell the farm to get that QB though. Luckily, I think we have ours.

Gilbride spoke to a lot of the reasons people still think the verdict isn't out on Taylor. Taylor really didn't show all season that he could read a coverage and throw to a man who was was covered but about to become open after his break. That is what all the best ones do. It's also the hardest thing to do as a QB. Only 3-5 guys can do it consistently and about 5 more can do it inconsistently. Then you take in the other comments and it's the balance of what Taylor did do well. We already know most QB's in the NFL don't pass the test Gilbride was holding Taylor to. So now you have 20 or so QB's that will be a blend of arm/accuracy, deep passes, 1 or 2 read passes, improvisation, limiting turnovers, and running. In these areas Taylor probably had the best seasons in the NFL. In fact I would argue we didn't lose a game all year with because Taylor was the starter. He had better games than others, but he never was so bad he was the predominant reason for the loss. Tyrod might not ever be a true franchise QB but if he's the next best thing to one he's might just be as valuable.

Edited by KzooMike

Gilbride spoke to a lot of the reasons people still think the verdict isn't out on Taylor. Taylor really didn't show all season that he could read a coverage and throw to a man who was was covered but about to become open after his break. That is what all the best ones do. It's also the hardest thing to do as a QB. Only 3-5 guys can do it consistently and about 5 more can do it inconsistently. Then you take in the other comments and it's the balance of what Taylor did do well. We already know most QB's in the NFL don't pass the test Gilbride was holding Taylor to. So now you have 20 or so QB's that will be a blend of arm/accuracy, deep passes, 1 or 2 read passes, improvisation, limiting turnovers, and running. In these areas Taylor probably had the best seasons in the NFL. In fact I would argue we didn't lose a game all year with because Taylor was the starter. He had better games than others, but he never was so bad he was the predominant reason for the loss. Tyrod might not ever be a true franchise QB but if he's the next best thing to one he's might just be as valuable.

For his "rookie" season Taylor did well... And he is obviously the starter going into next season... I still think you need to draft a QB in Rd 2-3 to try to develop and at least back Taylor up... Cut ties with EJ now....

For his "rookie" season Taylor did well... And he is obviously the starter going into next season... I still think you need to draft a QB in Rd 2-3 to try to develop and at least back Taylor up... Cut ties with EJ now....

Agree. Maybe Whaley can finally let go now that he has a new deal.

I agree with this, I could care less what Sulky <<~ saw this here, think it was Yolo, thinks. If it was a typo it was perfect. I only read Dunne and Skurski anymore from BN

TT only played 3/4 of a season. He is already better than most 1st year starters and he will continue to develop his game in the years to come. No need to throw it 30 or more times a game when u can throw for 3 TDs over 20+ yards and win going away most games. I personally like the pound em with the run and beat em with the pass approach.

tt played 7/8ths actually :bag:

I thought having an opinion from a player, even if he's not acknowledged to be a great mind of the game (what active player outside of a few sure fire HoFamers would be) was a great move. Without the views of a person who knows Taylor personally and close up, in the lockerroom and in the huddle, the article would not have been nearly as good, indeed, incomplete. Wood was the right player to ask, and I say that realizing that he was'nt going to take his QB down.

Oh, I think it's great to mix Wood in there. Just don't bill him as one of the "great football minds" or the like. Put him in there as "we also interviewed one of the players who works most closely with Tyrod all season, Bills Center Eric Wood." Doing otherwise is a tad disingenuous IMO. You know Wood is only going to say good things about his guy.

I get the Dunne love fest - I share it to a great extent. In fact, this is the first article I've read by Dunne that I thought was a bit sloppy in a couple of places, and it disappointed me in large part because I have such a high opinion of Dunne.

Be careful because Taylor is not really a rookie. He has been practicing and game planning in the NFL for 5 years now. He's not a veteran starter but he's not a rookie either. He's had a lot of time to work on his game at the NFL level so it's not clear how much more he's going to develop. That's why most people are cautiously optimistic instead of crazy optimistic.

Who were all of those coaches 20-30 years ago who were talking about their "5 year plans"?

At his introductory press conference Dick Vermeil said that if it took 5 years to improve the Eagles he deserved to be fired. Edited by vincec

No, Bill just wants us to get blown out in every game.

Good point.